FriendofYoda

Wave 4 - Barnes and Noble

I'm running a game of Mario Kart in a couple weeks and wanted an N-1 to use for the game, so I got one of those at Barnes and Noble.  I'm waiting on all of my other ships until my FLGS gets them.

20 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

Just saw some in my local Barnes and Noble.  Sadly, they were missing the one ship I want now.

Ask. Lots of times it’s in back because there is limited space on the shelf. 

42 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

There are quick builds if you are desperate I suppose. 

We've had two Quick Build tournaments in Raleigh, NC area and they're a lot of fun. Not sure you'd be able to play in a tournament mind you unless your TO said it was okay. Casual Quick Build games are great if you don't have as much time on a week night.

I picked up a transport, an N-1, and a Hyena.  Plan on getting 3 more N-1s, some B-Wings and another Hyena or 2 from my FLGS.  I spread the love around.  B&N is often the only bookstore around in a lot of areas, so supporting a brick and mortar B&N isn’t like other big box stores.  Also, my understanding is that they are a lot better to their employees than other big retailers.

13 hours ago, WalrusofDoom said:

Got a new silencer online.  None of the stores around me actually have them.

Saw the new Silencer when I picked up 2 of the new Flappy, Spinny B-Wings. 2nd edition TIE/Vn definitely looks meaner and leaner than the 1st edition version.

10 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Any chance you can fully spoil them? Is the transport just the 3-4 crew we’ve seen? 

There are videos from Australia that spoiled everything, and I’m wary of posting stuff on FFG’s own forums, but the transport comes with 7 crew cards, I’m pretty sure all of them are new.  2 droids that seem kinda meh, afterburners, spare part canister, and the “sky is falling” card: angled deflectors.

(also autoblasters, plasma torps, composure and expert handling)

All pod pilots are unique, there is one generic transport pilot.

On 6/16/2019 at 7:58 PM, FatherTurin said:

I picked up a transport, an N-1, and a Hyena.  Plan on getting 3 more N-1s, some B-Wings and another Hyena or 2 from my FLGS.  I spread the love around.  B&N is often the only bookstore around in a lot of areas, so supporting a brick and mortar B&N isn’t like other big box stores.  Also, my understanding is that they are a lot better to their employees than other big retailers.

Ordered a bunch of wave 4 from FLGS, but also got 5 more from B&N; couldn't resist 20% Father's Day +20% Educator discount. 36% off. 

Has anybody seen the templates at Barnes & Noble? Because I didn't. Glad they're on pre-order through the FLGS.

(I did have a $10 gift card for donating blood, so I bought a 1.0 Fang fighter, which I hadn't bought yet. Actually, that was my first 2.0 expansion because I've been playing with just Core Set and Conversion Kits up to this point).

I had a big ol' rant about this typed out but it got a bit angry sounding, so I'll just say this: if you have an FLGS you like and enjoy patronising, congrats. You're lucky, and I do genuinely envy you. Personally, my LGS has somewhat thrown the game under the bus from a stock and (especially) support standpoint, so I'm not too keen on doing a lot of purchasing there anymore, and certainly not keen on taking a price hit to do it.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

I had a big ol' rant about this typed out but it got a bit angry sounding, so I'll just say this: if you have an FLGS you like and enjoy patronising, congrats. You're lucky, and I do genuinely envy you. Personally, my LGS has somewhat thrown the game under the bus from a stock and (especially) support standpoint, so I'm not too keen on doing a lot of purchasing there anymore, and certainly not keen on taking a price hit to do it.

That is perfectly fine and understandable and if I were in your shoes I would probably do the same.

I am fortune enough to have a local game store that does a lot to help support the X-Wing community in my area and for the first time ever this year actually managed to get a regional tournament (Hyperspace Trial) in our local area.  I very much enjoy having a communal place to play X-Wing and having a store that hosts X-Wing tournaments on a semi-regular basis and I want them to continue to support the X-Wing community.  I am quite angry with FFG right now for either royally F-ing up this release or giving Barnes and Noble preferential treatment over stores like this that keep the game alive, and I will encourage people to hold out and buy the product from our local game store so they continue to support the community instead of buying from a nationwide retailer that does nothing to facilitate playing the game.

Edited by joeshmoe554

3 hours ago, joeshmoe554 said:

I am quite angry with FFG right now for either royally F-ing up this release or giving Barnes and Noble preferential treatment over stores like this that keep the game alive, and I will encourage people to hold out and buy the product from our local game store so they continue to support the community instead of buying from a nationwide retailer that does nothing to facilitate playing the game.

I don't think they're giving B&N preferential treatment.  B&N doesn't even really understand what product they're selling.  Remember, just recently, B&N was selling all 1.0 and 2.0 models at 50% clearance when they should have just been selling the 1.0 models.  Even one of the employees in my local B&N thought this was wrong, but that's the way it was in their system.  I think B&N got their shipment "early" like many distributors in other countries and had no mechanism to stop from sending them out to stores and having them put on shelves.  Or, more likely, they got the word too late.  B&N obviously handles a lot of timed releases with books, but the cases of these books are usually tagged with release dates and big warnings not to open until the date.

I have no game store in my area that sells X-wing, so I buy all of mine either online or from B&N.  For the last few waves, I've actually pre-ordered a few ships from FFG directly, mainly because I get them right away, usually a few days before the game stores since their ships have to go through distributors, get entered and stocked on shelves, etc.  This is the first wave where ships have been out there and I haven't had them in my hands first directly from FFG.

23 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Has anybody seen the templates at Barnes & Noble? Because I didn't. Glad they're on pre-order through the FLGS.

(I did have a $10 gift card for donating blood, so I bought a 1.0 Fang fighter, which I hadn't bought yet. Actually, that was my first 2.0 expansion because I've been playing with just Core Set and Conversion Kits up to this point).

The templates seem to be the only item not available on the website and do not have an entry.  All of the other ships from the wave appear available.

I was just at my local B&N today.  The Falcon and Decimator were out on the shelves and from what I can tell online they have the Naboo fighter, Hyena, and B-wing in stock, they just haven't put them out yet because their X-wing shelves are full.

6 hours ago, dadocollin said:

I don't think they're giving B&N preferential treatment.  B&N doesn't even really understand what product they're selling.  Remember, just recently, B&N was selling all 1.0 and 2.0 models at 50% clearance when they should have just been selling the 1.0 models.  Even one of the employees in my local B&N thought this was wrong, but that's the way it was in their system.  I think B&N got their shipment "early" like many distributors in other countries and had no mechanism to stop from sending them out to stores and having them put on shelves.  Or, more likely, they got the word too late.  B&N obviously handles a lot of timed releases with books, but the cases of these books are usually tagged with release dates and big warnings not to open until the date.

I have no game store in my area that sells X-wing, so I buy all of mine either online or from B&N.  For the last few waves, I've actually pre-ordered a few ships from FFG directly, mainly because I get them right away, usually a few days before the game stores since their ships have to go through distributors, get entered and stocked on shelves, etc.  This is the first wave where ships have been out there and I haven't had them in my hands first directly from FFG.

This.  People are blowing this whole thing way out of proportion, it isn’t going to matter in a few weeks when ALL of the LGS have the ships in stock.  Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if the LGS get their shipments after the realease date or cannot get certain ships because of supply issues.

Posted (edited)

It's a combination of various things.  None of it malicious, just... well... lacking in process and attention.    Something like one of the pieces was delayed on import to the US, so FFG decided to delay everything.  However, there was no mechanism in the supply chain to do this properly.   Rather than a one-shot to FLGS and the "sure whenever" release to B&N, the diligent FLGS distributors held back the product while it trickled in, but the B&N distributor didn't care, or was never told that this was different for some reason and just shipped it out.

The people that are getting screwed here are the FLGS, who I hope are raising **** through their distributor for losing out on hundreds of dollars of product and pre-order cancellations.  If I was them, I would be very upset.

Edited by XPav

I heard about B&N having the new stuff and checked it out and picked up the new B-Wing since that's my favorite OT ship and I wanted to see the engineering changes on it. (I'm not even playing Rebels in 2e lol) It's pretty cool...I like it. 

Of course some people online think they need to spout off about waiting and buying from the LGS and browbeat me for buying a product for sale at a public store. Of course I know all about the importance of the LGS...I don't need your attitude. I spend a LOT of money at my various local stores...so I don't need your condescending judgment. It's sad some people feel the need to ruin the joy others experience making a simple purchase (I wonder if they are jealous they don't have a B&N nearby and/or don't have money to order lol). I bought this because I love the ship and the design and I'm not even going to play it lol...you don't know me so shut your mouth about buying from B&N. 

Well it doesn't really matter if Barnes and Noble  released them early.  You can't  use them because they aren't in the app yet. They won't be until the official  release date. 

I saw online that my local  Barnes and Noble had the Naboo fighter in stock. I went and it wasn't on the shelf.  But I asked someone working there and they got  me 2 from the back.  So if you don't see any of the wave 4 ships you want on the shelf,  ask someone.