Sign in to follow this  
Castlecruncher

Need me some Gotal heads

So I'm planning on building my terrain and forces for a custom world--Arvon IX, a Gotal colony--and had the really fun idea of building custom squads of Gotal forces to serve as local cells/soldiers. My plan is to use Rebel models for the base outfit, and then slot on Gotal heads.

Trouble is, I need me a source of heads. I know Mel Miniatures does alien heads, but those are in batches, and I'm not gonna drop a couple hundred bucks to get one squad's worth of heads and an assortment of unrelated craniums.

Anyone know of any options beyond just crafting my own?

16 hours ago, Castlecruncher said:

So I'm planning on building my terrain and forces for a custom world--Arvon IX, a Gotal colony--and had the really fun idea of building custom squads of Gotal forces to serve as local cells/soldiers. My plan is to use Rebel models for the base outfit, and then slot on Gotal heads.

Trouble is, I need me a source of heads. I know Mel Miniatures does alien heads, but those are in batches, and I'm not gonna drop a couple hundred bucks to get one squad's worth of heads and an assortment of unrelated craniums.

Anyone know of any options beyond just crafting my own? 

How many Gotal heads would you want?

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Technically you would need different hands as well..  they have rather long claws.

You can prolly greenstuff/milliput hand/claws without too much effort over the existing hands

6 hours ago, melminiatures said:

How many Gotal heads would you want?

Hm... In total, I would want enough to fill out 2, maybe 3 squads, as well as a couple extra for special conversions (like for commanders and custom Jedi and the like). Probably 25 would be a good round number in the end, give or take one or two--that, or just single batches of 8 at a time. Thanks for taking notice! (It's also worth noting I'm not planning on buying anything immediately, just in the foreseeable future.)

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Technically you would need different hands as well..  they have rather long claws.

Meh, I'm not terribly concerned--there's discrepancy in just howlong their claws are, with some having three fingers with big honkin' diggers and others with five fingers and little chin scratchers. I'd probably be fine to just paint little black dots and say they're a local sub-race (Nemoidians came from Duros, after all, if memory serves). The heads, though--those are harder to hand wave away.

7 minutes ago, Castlecruncher said:

Meh, I'm not terribly concerned--there's discrepancy in just howlong their claws are, with some having three fingers with big honkin' diggers and others with five fingers and little chin scratchers. I'd probably be fine to just paint little black dots and say they're a local sub-race (Nemoidians came from Duros, after all, if memory serves). The heads, though--those are harder to hand wave away.

latest?cb=20190117164704

screen_shot_2015-08-05_at_3_2e9013ef.jpe

latest?cb=20170416104817

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

*Highly Incriminating Images*

6Lf0UoZ.jpg

jKg6hlC.jpgBecUwAW.jpg

T8nlDHM.jpg

But yeah, I get your point; it definitely seems like the current canon is that they have three large-clawed fingers, but there's a lot of art out there of five-fingered Gotal with relatively small claws. Either way, I'm hardly a fanatic when it comes to lore-accuracy--like I said, I have no qualms just saying "this local breed has five fingers and small claws" and saving myself the effort of green-stuffing their hands (I haven't done any form of mini-crafting before, and even just attaching the heads is viable to be challenge enough).

EDIT: Via Wookiiepedia's Legends section: "Some Gotals had four fingers and a thumb with short, conical claws on each digit;[1] others had only four or three digits per limb with much longer claws making up a large portion of each finger." So basically they do both, it seems.

Edited by Castlecruncher

57 minutes ago, Castlecruncher said:

6Lf0UoZ.jpg

jKg6hlC.jpgBecUwAW.jpg

T8nlDHM.jpg

But yeah, I get your point; it definitely seems like the current canon is that they have three large-clawed fingers, but there's a lot of art out there of five-fingered Gotal with relatively small claws. Either way, I'm hardly a fanatic when it comes to lore-accuracy--like I said, I have no qualms just saying "this local breed has five fingers and small claws" and saving myself the effort of green-stuffing their hands (I haven't done any form of mini-crafting before, and even just attaching the heads is viable to be challenge enough).

EDIT: Via Wookiiepedia's Legends section: "Some Gotals had four fingers and a thumb with short, conical claws on each digit;[1] others had only four or three digits per limb with much longer claws making up a large portion of each finger." So basically they do both, it seems.

Sigh..   wizards of the coast was such a blight on star wars..  they didn't seem to have anyone checking anything.. *cough*hwk-290*cough*. They were extremely lazy.   

Sorry to rain on your parade..  I do think it's legitimately awesome you are doing a themed board/force.    

While I don't play rebels, I plan on eventually painting a squad up as pantorans.