Digitalfiends

Getting frustrated by lack of progress/updates on the SSD

36 minutes ago, slasher956 said:

Here speaks a man who doth not play 28/32 mm wargames.. like 40K or Warmachine.....

You could by half a dozen SSDs for the price of ONE MARS titan body from FW... so you still need to buy the arms/weapons and the head!.... oh and you can only play that in the mega battle sized games aka apocalypse.... Then if you wanted to be more sensible and get a knight from GW which can be used in every game thats about $170... and you have to assemble it and paint it your self...

Then we look at WM/H colossals which come in at ~$140 

Here speaks a man who doth not understand sarcasm. 🙂

As others had already pointed out to the post I was quoting, the SSD is valid in all forms of Armada.

Trouble with sarcasm... like most things.. it doesn't translate well to the written word. 🤔  And I've seen plenty of posts like that which where honestly written.....

Plus not knowing me & me not knowing you means that there is an added level of confusion....on top of the one where you both have the same Avatar :(

8 hours ago, slasher956 said:

Shock idea... why not sell 50% of them unassembled & unpainted then?  smaller box, less packaging etc for 75% of the price?

Then the gamers who want it will happily assemble it and paint it(possibly :p) ourselves... those who just want a display piece or dont want to put it together can get the pre-painted ones...

Most likely because the ship portion of the Star Wars license is different to the people and vehicles side of production, and there’s a requirement for them to not be “model kits” or be infringing in Revell/Bandai or something Legally Strict like that...

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Most likely because the ship portion of the Star Wars license is different to the people and vehicles side of production, and there’s a requirement for them to not be “model kits” or be infringing in Revell/Bandai or something Legally Strict like that...

Ah... <bleep> yeah I keep forgetting that the mouse has tight reigns on their IP...

2 hours ago, Packerman29 said:

SSD prediction. Announcement at gencon that it will be delayed yet again til Q1 2020. 

If we were going to get it by end of September it would have been at the printer by now. 

Important to remember FFG is really bad at updating that page. Rebellion in the rim jumped from in development to on the boat so it's entirely possible the SSD is on the boat or at the printer etc there upcoming page should really only be used to see the last update. So we know Rebillion in the rim is at least on the boat but it could be now shipping. The SSD we know its at least in development but really could be anywhere on the spectrum.

1 hour ago, xero989 said:

Important to remember FFG is really bad at updating that page. Rebellion in the rim jumped from in development to on the boat so it's entirely possible the SSD is on the boat or at the printer etc there upcoming page should really only be used to see the last update. So we know Rebillion in the rim is at least on the boat but it could be now shipping. The SSD we know its at least in development but really could be anywhere on the spectrum.

So, this is true but it's not a good business practice and seldom the best policy to simply think "FFG is incompetent about updating their status" to offer hope about where an item is in lieu of adequate communication from them. 

Weekly check back on the forums, people seem like they're at one anothers throats again over FFG's inability to communicate. /shrug, I wouldn't get your hopes up for the SSD releasing this year.   

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

So many people here don't want a community.

To be fair, everyone here wanted a community at one point, or why the h*ll else would they have come to these forums? 

Take someone like me.  I started and admin'ed the state-wide Armada group on Facebook.  I served as a TO/Promoter for OP Kits and Store Champs at two local stores for over two years.  I pestered stores to remind them to order kits.  I made over a half-dozen unique flyers to hang in stores advertising the game, monthly casual Armada nights, and myself as contact person for new people to reach out to, offering demo games with my collection.  I organized and ran over a half dozen Corellian Conflicts.  I traveled to Regionals within 4 hours, Gencon, and Worlds and played and chatted and joked and enjoyed the game and the experience (with many of you on these very boards, even).  I painted a local guys entire collection of squadrons for free, because he was so smitten with mine but couldn't afford to have his own commissioned and had no interest in learning to paint himself.  I gave away dozens and dozens of acrylic tokens and alt arts to supplement events I TO'ed or to bolster new player's interest.

So don't tell me, or anyone else here, that they didn't want a community.

I did a ton of leg-work to build and maintain a robust local community and to participate in the larger community as well.  But at some point, there's only so much you can do while you watch FFG **** all over this game and all over this community for years as they run the property into the ground (whether intentional or just incompetence, who knows, but it doesn't matter, as the end result is the same).  The fact that some of you are so toxic-positive about the game, are such apologists for FFG, and are so hostile and dismissive and shunning toward people who are frustrated, people who dare point out the sad pathetic way this game/community has been treated and who have their critical views gas-lit by people acting like this game is still thriving and great and and soon-to-be-supported-thoroughly-for-reals-this-time is frustrating.  And I know you perma-positive folks mean well and only have the best intentions and love for this game, but ease off the gas pedal a little bit and just admit that the past 2.5 years have sucked and that FFG has treated this this community incredibly poorly with radio-silence while clearly putting the game into cold-storage to focus on other higher priorities.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

And I know you perma-positive folks mean well and only have the best intentions and love for this game, but ease off the gas pedal a little bit and just admit that the past 2.5 years have sucked and that FFG has treated this this community incredibly poorly with radio-silence while clearly putting the game into cold-storage to focus on other higher priorities.

Why?

Whats the point?

That doesn’t gain us anything.

Edited by Drasnighta

Posted (edited)

Some of us are trying to keep the boards from being endless pages of, it well meant, repetitive complaints so that when someone comes in fresh and excited to start a new hobby, they aren't drowned in negativity and decide to not play after all. All the negative threads and posts are only ultimately harmful to the community. We're all bummed out by the lack of news, and the slow releases. Some of us just have better things to do with our time than bemoan the fact.

Edited by Alzer

4 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

To be fair, everyone here wanted a community at one point, or why the h*ll else would they have come to these forums? 

Take someone like me.  I started and admin'ed the state-wide Armada group on Facebook.  I served as a TO/Promoter for OP Kits and Store Champs at two local stores for over two years.  I pestered stores to remind them to order kits.  I made over a half-dozen unique flyers to hang in stores advertising the game, monthly casual Armada nights, and myself as contact person for new people to reach out to, offering demo games with my collection.  I organized and ran over a half dozen Corellian Conflicts.  I traveled to Regionals within 4 hours, Gencon, and Worlds and played and chatted and joked and enjoyed the game and the experience (with many of you on these very boards, even).  I painted a local guys entire collection of squadrons for free, because he was so smitten with mine but couldn't afford to have his own commissioned and had no interest in learning to paint himself.  I gave away dozens and dozens of acrylic tokens and alt arts to supplement events I TO'ed or to bolster new player's interest.

So don't tell me, or anyone else here, that they didn't want a community.

I did a ton of leg-work to build and maintain a robust local community and to participate in the larger community as well.  But at some point, there's only so much you can do while you watch FFG **** all over this game and all over this community for years as they run the property into the ground (whether intentional or just incompetence, who knows, but it doesn't matter, as the end result is the same).  The fact that some of you are so toxic-positive about the game, are such apologists for FFG, and are so hostile and dismissive and shunning toward people who are frustrated, people who dare point out the sad pathetic way this game/community has been treated and who have their critical views gas-lit by people acting like this game is still thriving and great and and soon-to-be-supported-thoroughly-for-reals-this-time is frustrating.  And I know you perma-positive folks mean well and only have the best intentions and love for this game, but ease off the gas pedal a little bit and just admit that the past 2.5 years have sucked and that FFG has treated this this community incredibly poorly with radio-silence while clearly putting the game into cold-storage to focus on other higher priorities.

I want to echo your sentiments I’ve been running events here in Wellington, NZ out of my own pocket as the one local store here will only do X-Wing events. The community has grown a bit my first event only had 5 people but now averaging 10 people. I’m running a 200pts sector fleet battles in a few weeks time in anticipation of Rebellion in the rim.

6 minutes ago, Kani Kantai said:

I guess his point was don’t take pot-shots at legitimately frustrated forum users, take pot-shots at FFG.  Or if one isn’t worth it, neither is the other, so do neither.

Except FFG isn’t saying anything, whereas FFU (thanks, I like that) continually offer up the same complaints, either grating on people who are sick of hearing it and already weary for all the same reasons, or scaring away people who might be thinking of buying in.  In both cases that hurts the game.

raw

For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone here doesn’t want a community, and it’s a real shame when local ones dry up.  But we got assurance, IIRC, that Armada will have releases in 2020, and those releases are almost certainly going to be in multiple waves throughout the year, because Clone Wars is a whole new frontier with a ton of ships.  With the multiple factions approach confirmed, sequel fans can reasonably expect product in the long term too.  If that doesn’t end the gloom and doom, what in the nine Corellian H*lls realistically will?  What further expectation could we have?  And if you stuck around during the genuinely dark times for this game (AllWings didn’t, to each their own) how can things look remotely bleak right now in comparison?

1 hour ago, Kani Kantai said:

I guess his point was don’t take pot-shots at legitimately frustrated forum users, take pot-shots at FFG.  Or if one isn’t worth it, neither is the other, so do neither.

Sure, when I’m the one making new topics on the subject, feel free to pop one across my bow 🙂

5 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

I want to echo your sentiments I’ve been running events here in Wellington, NZ out of my own pocket as the one local store here will only do X-Wing events. The community has grown a bit my first event only had 5 people but now averaging 10 people. I’m running a 200pts sector fleet battles in a few weeks time in anticipation of Rebellion in the rim.

It sounds like you're doing an excellent job. Doubling numbers at a local event is huge, nice work!

@TheJabbawookie I was wanting to post pretty much the same thing but would have been rather beligerant about it so...what you said.

Posted (edited)
On 7/10/2019 at 6:19 AM, UberMunchkin said:

Yeah, I have no plans to buy the SSD expansion, it's too expensive and only usable in certain very specific game types.  It may as well not exist as far as the game is concerned.  Which means it will be over two years since we had any kind of new release for this game.  It's a total fail by FFG.  At least I can keep playing with my one friend who does play the game as we've got a complete set of waves so far.

This.

I'm worried that it will be another two years for the next normal Armada expansion...making it four years without an actual Armada upgrade. There's no way I'm buying a $200 SSD expansion. And even if I did, what's my Rebel Scum gaming partner going to get? He's stuck back at Wave 7, and looking at a third year without expansions.

The SSD for me is lousy for Armada. :( The game is expensive enough as is. Give me more, affordable upgrades. A $200 ship every couple years for one faction is not appealing.

Edited by ShoutingMan

8 minutes ago, ShoutingMan said:

This.

I'm worried that it will be another two years for the next normal Armada expansion...making it four years without an actual Armada upgrade. There's no way I'm buying a $200 SSD expansion. And even if I did, what's my Rebel Scum gaming partner going to get? He's stuck back at Wave 7, and looking at a third year without expansions.

The SSD for me is lousy for Armada. :( The game is expensive enough as is. Give me more, affordable upgrades. A $200 ship every couple years for one faction is not appealing.

It does seem like a crowning piece that completes the game and a full collection. That said, it is also a perfect piece to end one era one, as they said they will be launching a Clone Wars era for the game. This could take the form of a 2.0 base system, or could just slot into the existing framework. The length of time this is taking is a bit painful and absurd, but at least we know they plan on doing more. (Cynically one can say that is no guarantee, and fair enough, but I don't see why they would leave money on the table so I will hope for the best)

I too suffer from the frustration!

3 minutes ago, TheBigLev said:

It does seem like a crowning piece that completes the game and a full collection. That said, it is also a perfect piece to end one era one, as they said they will be launching a Clone Wars era for the game. This could take the form of a 2.0 base system, or could just slot into the existing framework. The length of time this is taking is a bit painful and absurd, but at least we know they plan on doing more. (Cynically one can say that is no guarantee, and fair enough, but I don't see why they would leave money on the table so I will hope for the best)

I too suffer from the frustration!

I guess. 

But I'm not "collecting". I'm buying a game to play. I don't need a "crowning piece". I want good, affordable expansions for both factions.

3 hours ago, ShoutingMan said:

I guess. 

But I'm not "collecting". I'm buying a game to play. I don't need a "crowning piece". I want good, affordable expansions for both factions.

Which we're getting in a few weeks when RITR hits shelves, plus whatever those two "sizable ships" they announced to be released by the end of the year. There's more on the docket than just the Star Dreadnought 

7 hours ago, Alzer said:

Which we're getting in a few weeks when RITR hits shelves, plus whatever those two "sizable ships" they announced to be released by the end of the year. There's more on the docket than just the Star Dreadnought 

I highly doubt the 2 sizable ships will come out this year.  You’re highly optimistic and I like that.  Just don’t hold your breath.