Digitalfiends

Getting frustrated by lack of progress/updates on the SSD

1 hour ago, Fraggle_Rock said:

At this point I’m keeping my pre-order for two reasons: first, I don’t want to find out that only preorders will be filled and second, I worry that non-preordered pieces could see a price increase due to trade issues with China. 

That’s a good point, with all the trouble they’re having with this thing they may only make just a few more than what has been preordered.

5 hours ago, Fraggle_Rock said:

At this point I’m keeping my pre-order for two reasons: first, I don’t want to find out that only preorders will be filled and second, I worry that non-preordered pieces could see a price increase due to trade issues with China. 

These are both good points, but it's worth remembering that anyone who pre-ordered an SSD for $165  immediately has, thanks to inflation (put roughly: the idea that a 2018 dollar is worth more than a 2019 dollar) and lost opportunity of interest had that $165 been kept in a mediocre savings account during that time, effectively already spent an extra like $12+ dollars on the thing... :)

By that same logic, unless FFG releases it with an increased MSRP to the original $200 which was set and figured so long ago, given all that's changed in these many moons, they will be making quite a bit less per SSD paid for in 2019 (or... 2020)... than they would have had it released in a more timely fashion... (unless distributors buy and pay for product when it's officially announced, but I don't know). 

On 6/28/2019 at 6:41 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

FFG has already said they'll be announcing the return of HUGE SHIPS to X-Wing 2.0 at Gencon

Will they be reprints of original huge ships adjusted to 2.0?  Or will they be new ships? 

1 hour ago, LostFleet said:

Will they be reprints of original huge ships adjusted to 2.0?  

The Celebration announcement suggested they're re-releasing the CR90, CROC and Raider, with X-Wing 2 components. These are separate from the new X-Wing "Epic" mode for X-Wing; "Epic" is new multiplayer and large-scale rules, the Huge ships may be usable in Epic play, but aren't needed for it.

Not sure how good a comparator that is, though. Even the X-Wing Huge ships are much smaller and simpler than the SSD, and they're also based on existing models. Mostly it's just updating the cardboard and paper.

1 hour ago, LostFleet said:

Will they be reprints of original huge ships adjusted to 2.0?  Or will they be new ships? 

Just the existing ones for now, but I believe the implication is that more will come eventually 

17 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

based on existing models. Mostly it's just updating the cardboard and paper

I am wondering if they are using the same vendor for SSD and they are waiting to ship all huge ships together ?

I now suspect the SSD was back burnered in production in favour of the X-Wing huge ships. Considering their unending devotion to that game (fair enough to some degree) there is no way they would let an Armada product get in the way of keeping up their hyper speed release schedule. We've waited for literal years for the SSD, and even if Armada dies in the meantime it would still sell as a display piece. I suspect a lot of them will never see actual gameplay.

21 minutes ago, TheBigLev said:

I now suspect the SSD was back burnered in production in favour of the X-Wing huge ships. Considering their unending devotion to that game (fair enough to some degree) there is no way they would let an Armada product get in the way of keeping up their hyper speed release schedule. We've waited for literal years for the SSD, and even if Armada dies in the meantime it would still sell as a display piece. I suspect a lot of them will never see actual gameplay.

Armada, will not die as a game. Even if official support is ended, (I don't expect that while expansions are in production), the game will continue, if on a smaller scale. This is the main reason I have argued against an app driven game. 

FFG needs us to buy expansions. At this point, we don't need FFG to play Armada. Take a walk through any miniatures war gaming section at a con, half the games you see being played are no longer supported.

6 hours ago, LostFleet said:

As others have said, they'll be (at least initially) converting the existing 5 Huge Ships into new 2.0 Compatible products, apparently heavily re-designed with improved and more distinctive mechanics to make them feel even more differentiated from standard play ships.  Also, each ship is going to be usable by at least two of the existing factions (for instance, the CR90 will presumably have cards, upgrades, and base inserts to be used by the Rebels and possibly the Republic and/or Resistance).  So effectively, the "huge ship 2.0 conversion pack" (if they go that route as well) will include effectively 14 ships (two huge ships per faction, covered by the five existing models), with presumably each of the seven factions have a handful of unique faction-specific upgrades for Epic Play and Huge Ships.

Now, if the models are also re-released at the same time (maybe they'll just drop a conversion kit first?) they will almost certainly be repainted, and may even include improved sculpts.  Most X-Wing 2.0 ships, while using basically the same sculpts, have featured improvements (better paint jobs, added details (e.g. better engine pylons and a dorsal turret added to the 2.0 Y-Wing), and even articulation (e.g. X-Wings, Fangs, and such have had moving parts added... the new B-Wing for instance will feature four different points of articulation: rotating cockpit, opening/closing wings, pivoting around the flight stand).  So I would imagine if the huge ships are getting re-released, they're going to feature some tantalizing and tempting new features on the model, including slick new paint schemes and probably improved details/articulation.

But time will tell.

2 hours ago, TheBigLev said:

I find this highly unlikely, as they've given legitimate reasoning behind the delays.  Armada is still producing expansions and selling, FFG isn't about to just drop the line.

48 minutes ago, Alzer said:

I find this highly unlikely, as they've given legitimate reasoning behind the delays.  Armada is still producing expansions and selling, FFG isn't about to just drop the line.

I didn't say FFG would drop it. Many people have done so and continue to do so unfortunately, which is where my comment concerning dying came from. But regardless of what they tell you about delays x, y and z, proof is in the pudding. They've had no issue pushing out incredible amounts of content for their two flagship Star Wars games, X-Wing and Legion. There is simply less drive to push out Armada content, and this results in them accepting delays and relying on the goodwill of the community.

Many expansions have gone without reprints and the couple new players in my group lament how difficult it has been to get product. Some things they simply cannot get, at least here in Canada. It is holding us back on the whole, and has made it hard for me to grow the community when people ask about it.

1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

Many expansions have gone without reprints and the couple new players in my group lament how difficult it has been to get product. Some things they simply cannot get, at least here in Canada. It is holding us back on the whole, and has made it hard for me to grow the community when people ask about it.

Anything in particular your buddies need?

2 hours ago, Alzer said:

What legitimate reason have they given for ssd delay?  The only thing I read from them was that it was delayed,  no explanation or reason was given from what I had read.  Was there an official announcement that I missed where they apologized and gave an actual explanation for the delay?

1 hour ago, The Jabbawookie said:

Anything in particular your buddies need?

Off the top of my head, squadron packs, Chimera, and Hammerheads. I am asking the group and hopefully will have the full picture to share.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

What legitimate reason have they given for ssd delay?

They talked about it at Celebration as part of their general Armada stuff. The tl;dr is that it turned out to be a lot more complicated to mass produce than they thought. It's a really big, complicated and intricate model, and it sounds like that caught them off guard.

1 hour ago, ninclouse2000 said:

What legitimate reason have they given for ssd delay?  The only thing I read from them was that it was delayed,  no explanation or reason was given from what I had read.  Was there an official announcement that I missed where they apologized and gave an actual explanation for the delay?

Yes, during the SW Celebration panel they stated that the manufacturing of the molds and pieces themselves were far more difficult than they had planned for. Further they stated that the model is around 200 individual pieces, and since it has to be put together and painted, it's quite the process. 

1 hour ago, Alzer said:

Yes, during the SW Celebration panel they stated that the manufacturing of the molds and pieces themselves were far more difficult than they had planned for. Further they stated that the model is around 200 individual pieces, and since it has to be put together and painted, it's quite the process. 

Thanks 

9 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

So I would imagine if the huge ships are getting re-released, they're going to feature some tantalizing and tempting new features on the model, including slick new paint schemes and probably improved details/articulation.

It would be amazing if they made the hardpoints actually slot in different turrets, so you could visually have quad lasers, or light turbo laser turrets on the model matching it's equipped hardpoints, though that might be a bit beyond what they're aiming for

Shock idea... why not sell 50% of them unassembled & unpainted then?  smaller box, less packaging etc for 75% of the price?

Then the gamers who want it will happily assemble it and paint it(possibly :p) ourselves... those who just want a display piece or dont want to put it together can get the pre-painted ones...

Yeah, I have no plans to buy the SSD expansion, it's too expensive and only usable in certain very specific game types.  It may as well not exist as far as the game is concerned.  Which means it will be over two years since we had any kind of new release for this game.  It's a total fail by FFG.  At least I can keep playing with my one friend who does play the game as we've got a complete set of waves so far.

1 hour ago, UberMunchkin said:

Yeah, I have no plans to buy the SSD expansion, it's too expensive and only usable in certain very specific game types.  It may as well not exist as far as the game is concerned.  Which means it will be over two years since we had any kind of new release for this game.  It's a total fail by FFG.  At least I can keep playing with my one friend who does play the game as we've got a complete set of waves so far.

There are 2 ssd variations that are useable in the standard 400 point game of armada.

1 hour ago, LordCola said:

If by "only [...] in certain very special game types" you mean the standard 400 point game than you are right.

Yeah but it’s a lot of money to spend on something that can ONLY be used in Armada, I own loads of games and it’s very frustration to be expected to fork out almost $200 for something that’s only comparable with one of them...

1 hour ago, Kani Kantai said:

Yeah but it’s a lot of money to spend on something that can ONLY be used in Armada, I own loads of games and it’s very frustration to be expected to fork out almost $200 for something that’s only comparable with one of them...

Here speaks a man who doth not play 28/32 mm wargames.. like 40K or Warmachine.....

You could by half a dozen SSDs for the price of ONE MARS titan body from FW... so you still need to buy the arms/weapons and the head!.... oh and you can only play that in the mega battle sized games aka apocalypse.... Then if you wanted to be more sensible and get a knight from GW which can be used in every game thats about $170... and you have to assemble it and paint it your self...

Then we look at WM/H colossals which come in at ~$140