Digitalfiends

Getting frustrated by lack of progress/updates on the SSD

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.  For those of you comparing the Xwing CR90 to the SSD. 

The CR90 is about 13" long, if my 10 min research is accurate. My apologies if I'm misinformed.

The SSD is OVER 24".  This I almost twice the size of of the CR90.  And FFG also said at star wars celebration that they didn't have a clue when they developed Xwing Epic.  Models were nice but gameplay lacking.  I think they put so much effort into the SSD to make it right and as a result it took them a lot longer than they wanted it to but at least we are going to get something that add more to the game then upgrade cards and a cool display piece.  

4 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.  For those of you comparing the Xwing CR90 to the SSD. 

The CR90 is about 13" long, if my 10 min research is accurate. My apologies if I'm misinformed.

The SSD is OVER 24".  This I almost twice the size of of the CR90.  And FFG also said at star wars celebration that they didn't have a clue when they developed Xwing Epic.  Models were nice but gameplay lacking.  I think they put so much effort into the SSD to make it right and as a result it took them a lot longer than they wanted it to but at least we are going to get something that add more to the game then upgrade cards and a cool display piece.  

Truly hope so.

The scale/size of the SSD is my main 'issue' with it. I think they may have been better had the kept the model at 24" (probably the max logical size to price ratio) and made the bridge the same size as the ISD.

My fear is the model itself will look out of place.

1 hour ago, Englishpete said:

The scale/size of the SSD is my main 'issue' with it. I think they may have been better had the kept the model at 24" (probably the max logical size to price ratio) and made the bridge the same size as the ISD.

My fear is the model itself will look out of place.

I have this same fear, but in the opposite direction. I'm afraid the model will look too small compared to how it compares "in universe". I know we already have a sliding scale for model sizes, but based on the size of the ISD, the SSD should be about 12 feet long (according to my math, which is usually wrong). While I'm willing to give some leeway to make it work in game, I'm concerned that it's just going to appear too small.

I'm hoping I'm wrong as I have one on pre-order anyways.

1 hour ago, thestag said:

I have this same fear, but in the opposite direction. I'm afraid the model will look too small compared to how it compares "in universe". I know we already have a sliding scale for model sizes, but based on the size of the ISD, the SSD should be about 12 feet long (according to my math, which is usually wrong). While I'm willing to give some leeway to make it work in game, I'm concerned that it's just going to appear too small.

And how does this compare to the ISD to the CR90? Compared to the ISD the CR90 should be what 1/4 of an inch?

1 hour ago, thestag said:

I don't know how big of a deal this will really be.  It's always been difficult to get a feel for how large anything in Star Wars really is.  They use different perspectives, angles, etc.  It's why early scales of ships were all over the place.  In one shot, due to forced perspective, the SSD only looks like it's 4 or 5 times larger.  In the next it looks way bigger.  Same with the Death Star.  The Death Star always seemed massive, but Rogue One really put it into perspective on just how massive it is.

While we know it should be much larger, I think it's physical presence will be sufficient.

Posted (edited)

While I want the SSD yesterday, same as everyone else, I'm perfectly happy with the scale. In the early days of Armada I figured that, if the SSD ever came out, it would be at most as big as the X-Wing Raider. So having it be almost twice as long is fine by me. If I was able get past the CR90 being way bigger that it should be, I can get past this.

Edited by Grinoch
Typo

Thats the thing isnt it... people are going ... waaah "the biggest ship logically in the game isnt big enough"... ( &if it was then all it would be is a 3D board :()  Yet the same people are quite happy with the hammer head being 4/5 times the size of the falcon, or CR90 being what at least 4 times larger than the hanger bay of an ISD

I don't have an issue with the SSD length, but if I were FFG I would have made the bridge the same size as the ISD and although the CR, Raider and Hammerheads are certainly way to large, they do not look 'odd' on the table. I just happen to personally think that the tiny bridge on the SSD will be quite jarring next to the ISD 🙂

Blame Lucas Film for that small bridge then.... as thats how it looks proportionally in the films...  

So there is no issue other than the size of the ships as a whole alongside each other... which brings me back to the point the hammerhead is to small against the falcon & to big against the other ships... etc etc etc

Man, can you imagine trying to issue orders on a bridge the size of an imperial class star destroyer. In Star Wars, you'd either need a good PA system in place, or runners.

Seeing as its Star Wars, it would likely be runners. It would cause the effectivness of the bridge to drop significantly. More likely, each officer there is busy relaying orders to seperate sections of the ship with their own mini-bridge dedicated to their job.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I think it's kind of strange that we're talking about delays while it's already on the way. There's a huge lead time for stuff like this. They say the SSD was in the works since Wave 2.

Radio silence is super annoying, but if you know the game isn't dropping it can be a good sign. X-Wing got quite a lot of radio silence before 2.0 dropped (nothing near what Armada has now, but still 6 months, 1 annnouncement, then 5 months is pretty long for X-Wing). It was actually that period of radio silence that got me to buy into Armada because the X-Wing meta was crap and I'm a sucker for thematics.

I'm also pretty sure Armada's getting Clone Wars pretty soon, which means the devs must be putting a lot of time and energy into Armada. The fact that there hasn't been an announcement doesn't mean work isn't happening, it just means whatever they're doing isn't ready yet.

Armada has the advantage of decently-balanced points and slots on the cards themselves. X Wing 2.0 is probably as well balanced (or will be soon) but requires frequent changes and updates to keep it that way. The slower production timeline of Armada has helped it to maintain its balance and generally avoid power creep throughout the lifespan of the game, without nearly as many errata as X-Wing 1.0 or the adjustments of 2.0. I'd say it's worth waiting for.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

14 hours ago, Englishpete said:

I don't have an issue with the SSD length, but if I were FFG I would have made the bridge the same size as the ISD and although the CR, Raider and Hammerheads are certainly way to large, they do not look 'odd' on the table. I just happen to personally think that the tiny bridge on the SSD will be quite jarring next to the ISD 🙂

This is definitely in the eye of the beholder, the CR90 has always been something that just totally looks wrong to me. I would say that the two most iconic ships in the game (and is is also probably to each there own) are the ISD and the CR90. From the opening of the entire experience the CR90 fits with lots of room to spare in the ISD hanger door.  But the CR90 model is so out of scale with ISD that not going to happen, and then there is the super stats that they gave to the CR90 but that is a different issue.

2 hours ago, CDAT said:

This is definitely in the eye of the beholder, the CR90 has always been something that just totally looks wrong to me. I would say that the two most iconic ships in the game (and is is also probably to each there own) are the ISD and the CR90. From the opening of the entire experience the CR90 fits with lots of room to spare in the ISD hanger door.  But the CR90 model is so out of scale with ISD that not going to happen, and then there is the super stats that they gave to the CR90 but that is a different issue.

People who play the game in true scale (using Shapeways pieces) have the CR90s as a flotilla, with multiple CR90s on each base to basically have them as an entire task force of tiny tiny little ships.  It looks much better, and doesn't make their stats feel so ridiculous.

Posted (edited)

Sliding scale.

A topic that was analyzed in some detail way back.

Someone measured all the ships and compared to their canon sizes (not always available) and made a little chart.

But my search skills fail me.

Edited by Green Knight

5 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Someone measured all the ships and compared to their canon sizes (not always available) and made a little chart.

This is the one I made; not sure if it is the one you were referring to. My measurements were fairly rough, but it looks like they scaled them in a fairly sensible way (about 1:10,000) but added about 4cm onto them all. That makes the smaller ones much bigger than they should be, but doesn't affect the larger ones too much.

This is the sliding scale graph you may have thinking of @Green Knight

On 5/29/2017 at 7:33 PM, Rune Taq said:

jIpnoI2.jpgSo I guess I have too much time on my hands. Or I'm just really obsessed with this awesome game. Anyway I put together an actual ship size vs individual ship scale chart so everyone can see the sliding scale for themselves.  I'll post the numbers I used. Please let me know if you think anything seems off. (Ei. Interdictor is estimated as there is no official length out there)

On 6/17/2019 at 10:21 AM, TheBigLev said:

I appreciate you have faith in FFG, but you are being disingenuous to suggest they've been slaving over Armada. They've created, developed, playtested, manufactured, and shipped more content for Legion in a year and a half than they have for the entirety of Armada's existence. I rest my case.

And everyone (in my area) that plays legion has a lot of imbalance and bad rule issues.  I just started getting into it and I already know its not going to be as good a game for me at least

2 hours ago, Rune Taq said:

And everyone (in my area) that plays legion has a lot of imbalance and bad rule issues.  I just started getting into it and I already know its not going to be as good a game for me at least

Yep. Bought into Legion at release, then realized it's very imbalanced and already power creeping like crazy. It's boxed up now.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:12 PM, Rune Taq said:

Between this and X-Wing needing a 2.0, I'm pretty happy with where the rules are at now. I wouldn't mind a points adjustment to make some units worth it (and maybe a limit on the amount of aces you can take), but the game is fairly well balanced as it stands.