Digitalfiends

Getting frustrated by lack of progress/updates on the SSD

On 6/14/2019 at 12:32 PM, strikenowhere said:

Its just amazing to me that FFG/Asmodee apparently don't want to take the money I am willing to give them.

My FLGS was eager to take my money on a pre-order pre-pay deal. Hope to see. Payoff soon! Hope to use the SSD to revive a dead Armada community. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, Green Knight said:

I feel you.

Been there.

But you just have to accept that this is Armada. It moves at its own unfathomable pace.

Once you internalize that, your life will be better.

Today is day 500 since our last release.

Peace and love in a galaxy far, far away!

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

Today is day 500 since our last release.

Peace and love in a galaxy far, far away!

Gods is it really!? I recall the Chimera finally arriving and that seemed like forever ago! 

Cmon FFG, get your act together!

Posted (edited)

Wave 7 came out on 1 February 2018.

Looking at just Star Wars products, since then FFG has released something like:

• X-Wing 2: Core Set, 5 conversion kits, 9 Accessories, 19 Expansions (with 24 ships total, some repaints), another 8 Expansions due any time,
  • X-Wing 1: 2 Expansion packs (with 3 ships, some repaints),
  • Legion: Core Set, 28 Expansion packs, 5 Accessories, 5 Game mats
  • Star Wars Outer Rim
  • Destiny: 6(?) new sets, plus some new dice binders,
  • Imperial Assault: 4 Expansion Packs, 4(?) new maps,
  • Force of Destiny: 2 Rules Supplements,
  • Age of Rebellion: 2 Rules Supplements,
  • The Card Game: 2 Expansion packs,

It's not hard to see why Armada feels a little left out. Not that I blame them, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for everything.

Edited by Grumbleduke

On 6/13/2019 at 11:04 PM, Thraug said:

Someone on a Canadian FB page posted their stores expects them on June 30th. No clue on its merit.

Won't be June 30th that's a Sunday which alone makes it suspect and ffg releases always on a specific day, Tuesdays I believe. 

I'd rather wait and, I hope, have a more polished product. Most models it's more is what it is but I'll be really disappointed if this one has antennas and such that break through not fault of one's own.

7 hours ago, Nomemories said:

Won't be June 30th that's a Sunday which alone makes it suspect and ffg releases always on a specific day, Tuesdays I believe. 

Not just a Sunday... But also the day before the Canada Day Stat Holiday

Not going to lie, I am not upset about not hearing about the SSD, I am far more annoyed that the SSD is even being released. Honestly, the sheer size of the SSD has likely caused more problems in terms of production for Armada are probably caused compared to how we likely could have gotten product if we didnt get the SSD, annoys me. Explaining to the people I have gotten into the game, that Armada releases maybe one expansion, a year (if that) blew their magic playing minds.

But, it will release when it releases, and we'll get the next thing when we get that. So, eventually.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Nomemories said:

I'd rather wait and, I hope, have a more polished product. Most models it's more is what it is but I'll be really disappointed if this one has antennas and such that break through not fault of one's own.

Given the amount of polishing it must have had by now, it must be at Ark of the Covenant levels of unable to look at it... 😁

Edited by ISD Avenger

On 6/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, eliteone said:

It's always been the radio silence that's the real issue, not even the delays. 

Eh, that used to be true, but I'm out of that boat for now. When the game was lively around here and I enjoyed playing it above any other game, then the radio silence was frustrating. Right now Armada is on life-support (in my area) and no one really cares to play (including me, honestly). They need to release a product to shake things up, or maybe an errata to knock down some of the more annoying selections.
At this point, only an excellent release will save Armada in my mind and in our neck of the woods. Personally, I highly doubt the SSD will be that catalyst, but the new campaign might.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Wave 7 came out on 1 February 2018.

Looking at just Star Wars products, since then FFG has released something like:

• X-Wing 2: Core Set, 5 conversion kits, 9 Accessories, 19 Expansions (with 24 ships total, some repaints), another 8 Expansions due any time,
  • X-Wing 1: 2 Expansion packs (with 3 ships, some repaints),
  • Legion: Core Set, 28 Expansion packs, 5 Accessories, 5 Game mats
  • Star Wars Outer Rim
  • Destiny: 6(?) new sets, plus some new dice binders,
  • Imperial Assault: 4 Expansion Packs, 4(?) new maps,
  • Force of Destiny: 2 Rules Supplements,
  • Age of Rebellion: 2 Rules Supplements,
  • The Card Game: 2 Expansion packs,

It's not hard to see why Armada feels a little left out. Not that I blame them, I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for everything.

This is pretty damning. It is one thing to consider how long it has been since our last release, but then to be given the perspective of how much content other games are getting... and it is pretty **** clear they have spent nearly zero development time on Armada in the past couple years. We can make a lot of excuses about why the SSD needs to take so long, and if it were just a manufacturing challenge then I think it is pretty obvious we could have had multiple other ships produced during this time. This shows with undeniable clarity the priority FFG has given Armada - lowest possible without being outright dropped.

Consider Legion. Since our last expansion, Legion has had so much effort poured into it that it already eclipses the amount of expansions Armada has had. This doesn't even count the accessory terrain and bases you can purchase. It would likely take a similar amount of time to develop a unit in Legion as it would take to develop a new ship in Armada. Sculpting is probably more complex for Legion than Armada, but production for Armada is far more involved per unit. There isn't a reason we couldn't have had plenty of ships released aside from the fact that the bosses at FFG/Asmodee have said no, we are spending our efforts elsewhere for X reasons.

Perhaps they are good business reasons. Perhaps not that good. I don't know. All I can say is that the game I want them to make is on life support and they are in no major rush to revive it, and thus my game bucks are not flowing to FFG these days.

Edited by TheBigLev

2 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

Given the amount of polishing it must have had by now, it must be at Ark of the Covenant levels of unable to look at it... 😁

And now I want to get a polished gold SSD....at least it would only be slightly more expensive than the original.

20 minutes ago, TheBigLev said:

it is pretty clear they have spent nearly zero development time on Armada in the past couple years.

I disagree, and I suspect the playtesters would as well, if they could.

Over the last two years they were finishing off the SSD, designing RitR, coming up with two new ships, and trying to find a way to make Clone Wars work.

I suspect they may also have been trying to make stuff from the Sequel Trilogy and possibly Solo to work, but gave up on that.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they had orders from on high that they had to get the SSD out before moving on to other things properly (given the significant investment into it).

It may be that they've spent very little development time on Armada. But I don't think it is clear that they have.

The delays to the SSD do seem to be manufacturing-related, rather than development issues; the cards were released back in November. And the major delays to FFG OP stuff (across the board) hint that maybe FFG is having problems with their manufacturers and distributors.

26 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

I appreciate you have faith in FFG, but you are being disingenuous to suggest they've been slaving over Armada. They've created, developed, playtested, manufactured, and shipped more content for Legion in a year and a half than they have for the entirety of Armada's existence. I rest my case.

1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

I appreciate you have faith in FFG, but you are being disingenuous to suggest they've been slaving over Armada. They've created, developed, playtested, manufactured, and shipped more content for Legion in a year and a half than they have for the entirety of Armada's existence. I rest my case.

... But painted a fraction... 😁

1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

I appreciate you have faith in FFG, but you are being disingenuous to suggest they've been slaving over Armada.

I don't think they've been slaving over Armada. But I don't think it is clear that they've been putting in near-zero development on Armada. Sure, they're prioritising Legion and X-Wing 2 over Armada, which is fair enough. But I also suspect that they've been doing quite a bit of Armada work in the last two years (including a lot of work on manufacturing the SSD, which is a little harder to make than the average Legion miniature), but for various reasons we aren't seeing that.

I also doubt all that Legion has gone from conception to shipping in that period. I imagine quite a bit of it was fairly far along the development track when Legion first came out.

My fingers are crossed for Episode IX,

If there is a huge space battle and if they manage to release SSD by December, I think there is a chance that there will be a renewed interest at the game.

16 hours ago, Ling27 said:

Not going to lie, I am not upset about not hearing about the SSD, I am far more annoyed that the SSD is even being released. Honestly, the sheer size of the SSD has likely caused more problems in terms of production for Armada are probably caused compared to how we likely could have gotten product if we didnt get the SSD, annoys me. Explaining to the people I have gotten into the game, that Armada releases maybe one expansion, a year (if that) blew their magic playing minds.

But, it will release when it releases, and we'll get the next thing when we get that. So, eventually.

I remember back when GW was actually putting a lot of thought into their releases and taking what we considered a LONG time for their new releases (gw always does faction releases / revisions, so a new codex for that faction (rule book) and a collection of new / redesigned models, usually 3 or 4 kits. ) there was a point where they took 6 months between releases, I want to say between 5th editions dark eldar and grey knights, and the community was flipping out. it's not like it was the only game they had going at the time either, 8th edition fantasy had just rolled out and it was getting the nice new hardcover codexes everyone loved. so ya, 500 days, that's a great business model.