Sign in to follow this  
xero989

AMM, Slow and Steady the VSD.

I've always thought that the VSD just needs a new version or two.  Give it something that drops more blue/black dice for more red and change up the anti-squadron.  And then a version that is more of a command ship with more possible upgrade slots (defensive, fleet command, and support).

So a new long range Vic based off the Vic 2, but with 3 red sides, and a 4 red/2 blue front.  Drop the ion upgrade.  Give it a red anti-squad die.  Adjust the points accordingly.  Now you have a nice long range assault vic that is fire support.  It's slow, but it has long range punch.  And a new command Vic based off the Vic 1.  Add defensive, fleet command, and support crew upgrades, drop ordinance and turbolaser upgrades.  Give it a double blue anti-squad.

Throw that into a campaign box and now you have some interesting.  2 new Vics that offer new gameplay uses that don't require something fast.  One is more long range support, the other is more of a fleet command ship.

Here's a Vic List that I always have fun playing , It's not great but I have fun playing it 

Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault: Opening Salvo
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Solar Corona

Victory II (85)
• Admiral Motti (24)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Disposable Capacitors (3)
• Quad Battery Turrets (5)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Seventh Fleet Star Destroyer (5)
= 133 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 109 Points

Victory II (85)
• Gunnery Team (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
= 109 Points

Squadrons:
• 5 x TIE Fighter Squadron (40)
= 40 Points

Total Points: 391

Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 2:52 AM, clontroper5 said:

I'm personally not a big fan of 7th fleet, I always feel like I want at least 3 to make it worth it and then since it only works on the front arc it can be too easily bypassed IMO. 

7th fleet is nasty in Sector Fleet where you can have your entire 7th fleet of triangles presented to your opponent in a phalanx with little avenue to flank

Edited by Muelmuel

I’m torn with the VSD. It’s not super competitive yet I like a system where ships have a disadvantage or are not perfect- it’s the mark of a good game to have to make compromises.

Yet manoeuvre is so important, the VSD can be a hard sell. 

Perhaps a title that fixes this issue so you can have at least 1 VSD that can make it into quality lists.

I haven’t found much success with a Vic, but my buddy made this gem below. It’s cheap like any good Vic. Great little area denial tool that can still harm you at range or hit like a truck if you close to finish it off. 

Victory I (73)
• Captain Needa (2)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• External Racks (3)
= 89 Points