Jump to content
theoriginalyeti

Emperor's Eyes

Recommended Posts

Have recently got into Star Wars legion and started painting the minis, I have always hated doing eyes and try to avoid where possible as I always seem to mess them up. (not enough practice). So I decided to not paint in the eyes on Emperor Palpatine. But when finished I think he needs them. What do you think? Also has anyone got an image of the eyes painted on the emperor, can't seem to find any good examples to copy from on tinternet? Below is the current state of the mini... Thanks for the help n advice (in anticipation).

emperor.jpg

emperor2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 9:44 PM, theoriginalyeti said:

Have recently got into Star Wars legion and started painting the minis, I have always hated doing eyes and try to avoid where possible as I always seem to mess them up. (not enough practice). So I decided to not paint in the eyes on Emperor Palpatine. But when finished I think he needs them. What do you think? Also has anyone got an image of the eyes painted on the emperor, can't seem to find any good examples to copy from on tinternet? Below is the current state of the mini... Thanks for the help n advice (in anticipation).

emperor.jpg

emperor2.jpg

Thats the best palpatine face ive seen so far. Tbh it looks like he has eyes anyway. Prefer this style. Looks way more ROTJ than ROTS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with leaving the eyes alone. But I would ask, how did you paint the face? It looks great and Palpatine is still on my painting to do list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see what you mean about 'needing' the eyes. I think the mini is excellent as is, but the eyes would add something to the face as it stands. Perhaps a reasonable substitute would be shading the top of the face, to create the impression of the hood shadowing him?

Either way, I think you could leave this as is, and have a Palpatine better than 90% of the ones that will hit the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Weikel said:

I agree with leaving the eyes alone. But I would ask, how did you paint the face? It looks great and Palpatine is still on my painting to do list.

I used the GW paints shown in pic below:

Primed with Choas black primer from GW.

  1. Base coat with Rakarth Flesh
  2. Mix 3:1 ratio of Lahmiam medium and Druchii Violet (create a light purple shade) and shade all over
  3. highlight with Ulthian Grey (I highlighted the nose, cheeks, brow, chin & lips)
  4. Re apply thinned down Druchii Violet shade to darken the grey a bit.
  5. Create a shade with the pink horror & Lahmiam medium (think I did a 4:1 ratio of Medium to paint) and paint this only in eye sockets.
  6. Teeth were done with Zandri Dust and shaded with good old Agrax Earth shade.

Hope this helps.

facePaints.jpg

Edited by theoriginalyeti
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jabby said:

If you really want eyes, maybe a tiny dot of yellow?

Tiny dot of yellow, tinier dot of black from a micron pen marker, and done.

Or just leave it, it looks enough like his shaded right eye below.

emperor-palpatine-1555323736.jpg?crop=0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is 2 ways to go to paint eyes. First one, the one I personnaly use, is to paint a small black dot at the center to represent the iris, then a smaller white dot (in the case of the Emperor I would go with yellow or light orange) on both side of the iris.

Second way is to paint a small fine line of white (yellow in this case), then a black in the center for the iris.

The important thing is to not have white shows on the top and bottom of the iris, just the sides.

Here's an exemple with a close up of my Krennic:

ZEN3IXf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, aniron said:

Tiny dot of yellow, tinier dot of black from a micron pen marker, and done.

Or just leave it, it looks enough like his shaded right eye below.

emperor-palpatine-1555323736.jpg?crop=0.

OP completely nailed the grin as you can see here. I wouldnt touch the eyes unless you're really confident. Face is so spot on for ROTJ

Practice on another mini if you can. But less is more. Worst thing on a mini is Snuffleupagus eyes! Kujo Painting on youtube has a good tutorial

Edited by Alan Noir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A huge thank you to everyone who helped. I have now had the courage to paint my first set of eyes that have turned out OK.  (bit of an issue with the one on the right side, but it will come with practice). Not ready just yet for Palpatine but with a set of Wookie Warriors and two units of Rebel Troopers to practice on first I am feeling more confident. What an excellent community this is. Thank you for all your positive advice and feedback. Much appreciated. :0)

wookie_eyes.jpg

wookie_full.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...