ScummyRebel

What is your primary reason for Legion? Poll

http://www.strawpoll.me/18127479

Just curious to see the balance out there between gamers versus hobbyists, or what mix in between.

I used to be more on the gamey side - I bought “one of each” at minimum for one faction and had plans to keep up with it like I have done with xwing. 

As time has gone on, I really enjoy painting the minis. Or rather, the ones that really excite me. I’m no longer “oh but everything!” But more about what feels like a fun painting experience. There are some units I’m just “eh” about that are in the pipe, and there are ones I am super stoked for. I can’t wait to see subfactions and some of the more interesting options that I can roll up into a larger faction (hoping for Ewoks and sand people in particular - an official Sarlaac terrain piece with custom rules similar to the downed ATST would be awesome). 

I prefer a good home game with friends to a LGS trip for Legion, probably because with how long the game takes it just feels better to crack open a cold one and make it an afternoon rather than rush.

I enjoy standard Legion, but am hoping the downed AT-ST is a sign of things to come with more thematic fluffy games that are less symmetrical but still feel balanced and are Star Wars.

Voted.

I recently bowed out of our league, at least for this "season," because the competitive game is really not how I want to interact with the game. I'd much rather play more narrative battles, and am working on creative scenarios and campaigns that have a greater diversity in the battlefield card mechanic, which right now, I find incredibly boring and limiting.

30 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

The combination of nostalgia of little Star Wars figures and something that's new and happening. I can paint for any or no game but only SW:L has that right now.

I have to agree that Star Wars nostalgia is a big part of how Legion works for me. It’s stuff the inner kid in me just enjoys the aesthetic of and the stories from.

2 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I find it interesting that only 7% of the responses were for competitive play.  The way people talk about "the meta" making units useless or the only viable choice, you would think there would be more people primarily interested in competitive play!

Should probably share it on more than just these forums. 

14 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I find it interesting that only 7% of the responses were for competitive play.  The way people talk about "the meta" making units useless or the only viable choice, you would think there would be more people primarily interested in competitive play!

Competitive tournament players always make up a small minority. But they set the tone for even casual gaming  group lists in this post internet world. 

59 minutes ago, TalkPolite said:

Should probably share it on more than just these forums. 

I’m not sure where else would be a good place to get valid data. Maybe a Facebook community page?

1 hour ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I would agree as well. I guess the dilemma is for the people whose only alternative is to play at the local game store where folks are playing by the meta.

I have never really played a Legion meta list. I usually play based off what seems fun to me, or what is balanced to answer against the most number of things. I like bringing a mix of troops and vehicles because the vehicles can help whittle down their activations faster, and nothing holds a key position like an ATST when the enemy is losing their impact or just doesn’t have it.

Ive never fielded more than one sniper. I can only field a max of two if I really wanted to.

1 hour ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

The poll also asked for the “primary” reason.

I thoroughly enjoy competitive Legion.  However, I still selected “playing with friends” as my primary draw.  All my friends that I play with also play competitively, so that helps.

I quite enjoy painting as well.

I think what this poll tells me is there are lots of reasons to play Legion, none of them are mutually exclusive, and no one is more valid than another.

I do also agree that if you posted this on something like Discord you would probabaly get a different distribution.

18 hours ago, lologrelol said:

Because 40k/AoS/Warmahordes/Infinity/Malifaux/AvP/Bolt Action just didn't have the right mix of what I was looking for.

I notice a conspicuous lack of Mantic on that list. 

Voted. Friends and family all the way for me, but I imagine hobbying will be a close second. Competitive play, in general, is not a draw for me anymore for a few reasons. 

4 hours ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

I mean to be fair the poll allows you to choose multiple reasons. I bet there's a few in the camp of competitive and painting hobby aspect too.

My main reason is to play, if the majority of other players prefer tournaments and leuges then that's what I'l play. If the majority in my area prefer casual or story driven campaigns then that's what I will play.

The hobby is a big aspect as well , but the primary motivation is to play.

Nearly all of those fit into "primary" reasons I play.  I enjoy both playing casually at the local shop with friends, and competitive play.  I probably spend far more time painting or building terrain than I do actually playing, but I consider that part of the game as well.  Probably the reason I'm enjoying Legion far more than I ever did Armada or X-Wing is precisely that it appeals to such a broad range of interests and activities. 

The question is problematic in that it’s asking people about their self perceptions.

It’s like when a poll asks someone if they’re middle class; sure, they absolutely are if they perceive that in themselves, even if the reality (only the middle quintile of family income is definitionally middle class, so most respondants aren’t in it) doesn’t match their self-image.

If you wanted to get a less flexible set of responses, try altering the question to be a series of yes/no questions, with some open ended ones (or add a comments section for each question):

Have you ever played in a Legion tournament? (Y/N)

How many?

Etc...

you might even add a preference question:

Which do you prefer to play: Casual games or Competition games? Which can be compared against the data set from the first question to see if many of the competitors say in their heart of hearts they prefer casual play primarily.

Posted (edited)

Voted here too. I just like making stories with miniatures to be honest. Ive currently got a rogue’s gallery of converted miniatures for fringe characters that would look really nice in the RPGs. And I add new ones every once in a while.

Edited by Blackreach
Typo

Sorry, I chose a few too. I don't see much difference between "competitive" and "casual" play, so chose both, and painting is always fun :)

My primary motivation was Other - Waiting for Armada to drop new product...news..etc. and needed something to do in the meantime. 

Additionally, the Core set went on sale to $60 and then I managed to pick up a 2nd at $50.

I also did want something to paint/build, and it also gave me a reason to spin up the 3D Printer again for terrain etc. 

Eventually I hope to start some local groups for both Armada and Legion - there's only X-Wing in my part if NYC.

On 6/9/2019 at 12:56 AM, devin.pike.1989 said:

Simply they need more suport and tend to discuss a lot about rules or meta... but they aren't more than us...

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 4:45 PM, Derrault said:

The question is problematic in that it’s asking people about their self perceptions.

It’s like when a poll asks someone if they’re middle class; sure, they absolutely are if they perceive that in themselves, even if the reality (only the middle quintile of family income is definitionally middle class, so most respondants aren’t in it) doesn’t match their self-image.

If you wanted to get a less flexible set of responses, try altering the question to be a series of yes/no questions, with some open ended ones (or add a comments section for each question):

Have you ever played in a Legion tournament? (Y/N)

How many?

Etc...

you might even add a preference question:

Which do you prefer to play: Casual games or Competition games? Which can be compared against the data set from the first question to see if many of the competitors say in their heart of hearts they prefer casual play primarily.

Come on, it is not so difficult to ask some questions... Do yourself a poll and the results will ALSO be that more persons enjoy playing with friends rather than competitive in a store or in a tournament, we all understand what that means, we are players. 

Edited by Tubb