Altahara

What draws people to a tournament

The further people travel the more likely it is that they are competitivly driven to win. That's not to say that the guy who lives next to the LGS can't be a try hard, its just less likely that people will drive out of state for a casual tournament experience.

I would say 45min-1 hour is the most Id drive to a tournament, even if it was casual. Even if there's no invites on the line, it's a great game, very thematic, fun, plus the alt art and tokens are a reward too. 

I can tell tell what I don't want to see a tournament that I ve driven miles to play in.

I dont want to see a bunch of rules lawyers and over-competitive individuals who haven't showered in days.

I don't want to see tables with green sheets as battle mats and terrain that looks like a 3 year made it.

I dont want to see an unorganized TO, who shows up to his event late and drunk.

Since there is minimal local community, I'm forced to travel 2hrs to go to tournaments to play. I'll definitely travel to stores that either have a reasonable entry price and some prize support (more entry $, the more I expect) or have people I enjoyed playing with. 

Cool terrain helps as well. 

I would think some really good terrain on the tables would be a good draw.  That’s the most unique part of this game, each table can play very differently.  Not everyone has a great setup at home.  

I'd have to find something I can't find at home or in the several stores that are under 30 minutes away from me.

I'd be looking for:

• Painted armies. I don't need to drive far to face a grey horde.
  • Organizers putting in some time and effort to really create something, instead of organizers just getting a high off of how "official" everything is. Write your own deck of mission cards and don't tell us what it's going to contain so no one can build lists to missions. Make your own prizes instead of worrying about alt-art for things I already have. Make up prizes for things besides winning games. Stuff like that.
  • A flexible time commitment. If I'm driving 8-10 hours roundtrip, and arriving early to ensure the whole thing isn't blown, how many hours are left to play? Not many. Whereas other participants who walk in from down the block are going to want to play longer.

On the other hand, not everything that makes a good tournament can actually be advertised or guaranteed, like varied lists, TO's avoiding cliquishness, or having enough scenery.

Thank you all. Awesome suggestions. 

I am putting together a tournament on the south side of Cincinnati ohio and trying to make sure everyone is excited. 

If I have enough players then I will raffle off an AtAt that I 3d printed from Mcnaultys thingiverse. 

I am furiously printing and painting terrain and will have spray deodorant for people who need it. Lol

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Altahara said:

Thank you all. Awesome suggestions. 

I am putting together a tournament on the south side of Cincinnati ohio and trying to make sure everyone is excited. 

If I have enough players then I will raffle off an AtAt that I 3d printed from Mcnaultys thingiverse. 

I am furiously printing and painting terrain and will have spray deodorant for people who need it. Lol

Sorry. If I were to drive from Boston to Ohio for a tournament, it has to be in Columbus, and in Columbus only.

Edited by TauntaunScout

21 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

Sorry. If I were to drive from Boston to Ohio for a tournament, it has to be in Columbus, and in Columbus only.

I understand completely. it's also the south side of cincy. So even worse. 

I'll run one up there some time. I just live down here. 

3 minutes ago, Altahara said:

I understand completely. it's also the south side of cincy. So even worse. 

I'll run one up there some time. I just live down here. 

South side, north side, it is irrelevant. 

Columbus has the last remaining York Steakhouse. 

@Altahara

I will also advise that you take comments on these forums with a grain of salt. Some hold distinct merit, whilst others are quite unrealistic or out of an organisers control.

Some of the more active and experienced event organisers and tournament attendees are on the Legion Discord, I suggest you consider some feedback from there.

26 minutes ago, Irokenics said:

@Altahara

I will also advise that you take comments on these forums with a grain of salt. Some hold distinct merit, whilst others are quite unrealistic or out of an organisers control.

Some of the more active and experienced event organisers and tournament attendees are on the Legion Discord, I suggest you consider some feedback from there.

I have never used Discord..  I guess I need to look into it.  I listened a podcast where they discussed a tournament they went too and what they liked.  It definitely helped. 

6 hours ago, Altahara said:

Awesome!! Im from the southern Indiana/ Louisville region. 

Make an event on your game store's Facebook and I'll share the event in our local legion groups

37 minutes ago, Altahara said:

I have never used Discord..  I guess I need to look into it.  I listened a podcast where they discussed a tournament they went too and what they liked.  It definitely helped. 

I can definitely help in that department ;) I ran the Las Vegas Open and helped run AdeptiCon. 

https://discord.gg/ueRYKet

there’s the discord link