railwayman001

Why is Wave IV Taking So Long to Be Released All of a Sudden?

3 minutes ago, Sir13scott said:

Anyone else getting frustrated with the lack of communication? When’s the FLGS release? When do we get points? Why is it so jumbled? 

The only info we have is what was told to the Australian distributor when they were told to tell stores to stop selling; July 11th  

Our local owner just stated this AM that they were contacted by FFG who told them Jul 11th is confirmed intended launch date, points will come out then as well. Take that for what it's worth. To quote: 

"FFG has just said the in-store date for the X-Wing wave is July 12th - which will coincide with when they will be added to the app and legal for tournament play." 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Black_Eight said:

Our local owner just stated this AM that they were contacted by FFG who told them Jul 11th is confirmed intended launch date, points will come out then as well. Take that for what it's worth. To quote: 

"FFG has just said the in-store date for the X-Wing wave is July 12th - which will coincide with when they will be added to the app and legal for tournament play." 

Got it, confirmed July 13th. Can't wait for July 14th to arrive!

Edited by prauxim

Okay, folks, almost every Wave IV expansion is now available at my nearest B&N location. The Millennium Falcon as depicted in the original trilogy is now available along with every other Wave IV ship, except for the First Order Special Forces TIE/sf Fighter. That ship is the one remaining holdout, but given that the Millennium Falcon was still being a holdout yesterday I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it became available either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

2 minutes ago, railwayman001 said:

Okay, folks, almost every Wave IV expansion is now available at my nearest B&N location. The Millennium Falcon as depicted in the original trilogy is now available along with every other Wave IV ship, except for the First Order Special Forces TIE/sf Fighter. That ship is the one remaining holdout, but given that the Millennium Falcon was still being a holdout yesterday I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it became available either tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

Templates?

6 minutes ago, railwayman001 said:

I forgot about those, didn't I? Hate to disappoint you, Hiemfire, but the templates are still not yet available anywhere. I guess those are what will be released on July 11th.

Sort of strengthens my suspicion that the issue with the release might involve them. Thanks for replying.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Black_Eight said:

So they are releasing on July 12 and immediately tournament legal? No 11 day wait like the tournament rules say? 

Edited by drail14me

5 hours ago, drail14me said:

So they are releasing on July 12 and immediately tournament legal? No 11 day wait like the tournament rules say? 

11 day rule applies only to Premier level events, so they probably mean tournament legal*.

*from a certain point of view

All right, it appears we now know what the problem is as to the release. It apparently has something to do with the Deluxe Movement Tools and Range Ruler Kit not being ready, and because we've all gotten very mouthy about the ships not being released FFG has gone ahead and"unofficially" released them at Barnes and Noble. Of course, I wish FFG would hurry it up and release them on Amazon, which they have not done (as far as I know). Furthermore, the First Order Special Forces TIE/sf Fighter Expansion Pack is still not yet available at my nearest Barnes & Noble. I remember that when the previous version of X-Wing was still available, they were trying to do a "game tile kit" that featured three sets of four game tiles that formed images of the Hoth Asteroid Belt, Alderaan, and Death Star I. However, they didn't release it to the public because they determined that it wouldn't work, and the playmats were what got released for a playing surface with the Starfield Playmat in particular being used for all legal tournament play.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:31 AM, AceDogbert said:

FFG never really comments on the reasons why things get delayed, so don't expect an official answer.

My current theory is that there has been a delay in shipping between the printers (in China) and FFG's main distribution network based in the US. The Australian distributor most likely receives their shipments straight from China (no point transporting them over the Pacific Ocean twice), so they received their supply 'on schedule'. The rest of the world, however, receives their supplies via FFG in the US, meaning any delay in the product reaching the US is passed on down the chain.

Why the delay has occurred? Who bloody knows. My money is on a group of attention-starved madmen (AKA the Armada playerbase) raiding the container vessel Wave 4 was on in a SSD-expansion induced frenzy....

*I barely visit the forums anymore, maybe once a week and I guess today will be it*

*Whatever, armada forums are a boring list of "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY LIST!!1!" posts*

*I haven't played x-wing in years, no intent to do so again but whatever, I'll visit their page for the first time...possibly ever*

*OMG HOW DID HE KNOW!*

Seriously though, that was one of the funniest armada related things I've seen on the forums in a while. We went from generally content (January 2017-january 2018) to ANGRY! (May 2018-April 2019) to our current state: content to die 

Love the game so much, I guess it's time to burn it at the stake to end this long winter storm and march on to winterfell. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:24 PM, dominosfleet said:

*I barely visit the forums anymore, maybe once a week and I guess today will be it*

*Whatever, armada forums are a boring list of "WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY LIST!!1!" posts*

*I haven't played x-wing in years, no intent to do so again but whatever, I'll visit their page for the first time...possibly ever*

*OMG HOW DID HE KNOW!*

Seriously though, that was one of the funniest armada related things I've seen on the forums in a while. We went from generally content (January 2017-january 2018) to ANGRY! (May 2018-April 2019) to our current state: content to die 

Love the game so much, I guess it's time to burn it at the stake to end this long winter storm and march on to winterfell. 

Its funny seeing how some x-wing players are getting upset by this delay yet Armada has been well over a year since its last release.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, XR8rGREAT said:

I'm curious. How large is the Armada base compared to X-Wing really? We also don't see any complaints about missing releases from 1992's Hubbus' Rapid Adventure card game.

Edited by Malmer
Yes.

If retailers bought and paid for this wave with the stipulation it could be be released June 6th, they can (and should) put it on there shelves and sell it.  Barns and Nobel is selling it now.

On 6/22/2019 at 8:07 AM, railwayman001 said:

All right, it appears we now know what the problem is as to the release. It apparently has something to do with the Deluxe Movement Tools and Range Ruler Kit not being ready, and because we've all gotten very mouthy about the ships not being released FFG has gone ahead and"unofficially" released them at Barnes and Noble. Of course, I wish FFG would hurry it up and release them on Amazon, which they have not done (as far as I know). Furthermore, the First Order Special Forces TIE/sf Fighter Expansion Pack is still not yet available at my nearest Barnes & Noble. I remember that when the previous version of X-Wing was still available, they were trying to do a "game tile kit" that featured three sets of four game tiles that formed images of the Hoth Asteroid Belt, Alderaan, and Death Star I. However, they didn't release it to the public because they determined that it wouldn't work, and the playmats were what got released for a playing surface with the Starfield Playmat in particular being used for all legal tournament play.

Definitely not to do with rulers and templates - saw them on the shelf in Australia last weekend. 

So the original release date was set to June 6th, but from what I have heard (secondhand and I have not signed an NDA) is that they didn’t even start the playtesting process until June 2 or 3. I wouldn’t want to claim that all these delays are solely because FFG was too inept to provide playtesters materials and point values sooner, but I’ve also been playing X-wing for a long time and am familiar with FFG’s “logic.”

I wanted to believe it was because there were shipping and distributing issues with China. “Australia got their stuff,” well they are much closer to the factories. “Barnes and Noble has it too,” sorry FFG, I got no excuse for you anymore.

So I personally do believe FFG in some capacity did not prepare a proper timetable for releasing the product when it was assured and had to delay it. Playtesting window, LFL licensing, App updating, whatever it was I think FFG is just exercising poor business strategies. They have every opportunity to change my mind by being transparent about their delays though.

2 hours ago, Skargoth said:

So the original release date was set to June 6th, but from what I have heard (secondhand and I have not signed an NDA) is that they didn’t even start the playtesting process until June 2 or 3.

In the first Republic/CIS demo they did, they jokingly said they were “rusty” with the cards they were playing with because they’re already like two waves down the road from that release.

It’s possible they were still working on point costs and that sort of thing, but they’ve probably already wrapped up play testing for Wave V and are working on distribution at this stage.

The more I think about this, I think we may all be overly-fixated on China shipping and whatnot.

I think these delays may be that the technical team for Squad Builder was not able to meet a deadline that corresponded to physical product release.

That is not necessarily the tech team's fault. Technology is technology, and it's better to devote the necessary time for development and testing than to release an update that will ignite a firestorm of community rage.

Posted (edited)

If it is a technical issue with the Squad Builder, I expect:

They did not create it to scale far enough for the number of ships, pilots and cards (very unlikely), or;

There is just one person being made to run the Squad Builder (I hope this is not the case, but answers so many other questions about it).

This has to be a delay in shipping, and the insistence on holding  back for a simultaneous world-wide release.

This isn't the only game product I know of to have this issue, at this time. That has no release date announced (that company never announces more than 2 weeks ahead anyway).

If the delay was due to points costs, what's stopping from releasing the original points, and changing them in the soon-to-happen points change with everything else? They wouldn't hold a product back for points.

Edited by Aetherer
More