Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

Age of Ascension: New Rules Questions

1. Murkens – Shadows AOA_290 – Creature 2/~ – “Play: Choose a random card in your opponent;s archives or the top card of your opponent’s deck.  Play that card as if it were yours.”
    1. Swindle – Shadows AOA_278 – Action – “Alpha.  Omega.  Play: Steal 3 Æmber.”
      1. I assume you can perform the action, even if it’s not your first card played.  However, I also assume the Omega kicks in, ending your turn.  Is that correct?
    2. Sucker Punch – Shadows AOA_277 – Action – “1Æ.  Alpha.  Play: Deal 2 Damage to an enemy creature.  If that creature was destroyed by this effect, archive Sucker Punch.”
      1. I assume they then Archive your card.  Is that correct?  If so, can they then continue to cycle it (collect their archives, play it first, and archive it again)?
  2. Exhume – Dis AOA_059 – Acton – “1Æ.  Play: Choose a creature in your discard pile.  You may play that creature as if it belonged to the active house and was in your hand.”
      1. Same question as above: can you play a creature with Alpha if Exhume isn’t the first card?  Does playing an Omega end your turn?
  3. Groggins – Brobnar AOA_011 – Creature 8/~ – “When Groggins is used to fight, it can only attack flank creatures.”

1. My opponent has 3 creatures, the middle of which has Taunt.  I assume Groggins cannot attack anything.  Is that correct?

4. Collector Worm – Mars AOA_162– Creature 2/5 - “Fight: Archive the creature Collector Worm fights.  If that creature leaves your archives, put it in its owner’s hand instead.”

1. I assume that damage is still dealt in this fight, and that regardless of whether or not the enemy creature survives the fight, it is placed in your archive.  Yes?

2. Destructive Analysis – Mars AOA_194 – Action “Play: Deal 2 Damage to a creature.  You may purge any number of cards from your archives to deal an additional 2 Damage to the same creature for each card purged this way.”

1. If I have placed enemy creatures into my archive via Collector Worm or Uxlyx the Zookeeper (AOA_190) and then I play Destructive Analysis and purge those archived cards, are those enemy creatures purged or returned to my opponent’s hand?  If the latter, is the damage dealt?

3. Yzphyz Knowdrone – Mars AOA_210 – Creature 3/~ – “Play: Archive a card.  You may purge an archived card to stun a creature.”

1. Same basic question.

Regarding the above, from https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/26/science-fiction-double-feature/

Meanwhile, the Collector Worm (Age of Ascension, 162) grabs your enemies and drags them into your archive whenever it fights. Once you have abducted the creature, you may then purge it with Destructive Analysis (Age of Ascension, 194) to deal additional damage to a creature in your opponent’s battleline.

From the updated Rules:

I have no creatures in play and my opponent has two. Can I play the card Lost in the Woods (CoTA 327) even though I don’t have two creatures in play?

Yes you can. The “Resolve As Much As You Can” rule (see Page 7) says that you resolve as much of a card effect as possible and any part of a card you cannot resolve is ignored. In the context of Lost in the Woods, it means that you shuffle in as many of the creatures as you can. So in the case that your opponent has two or more creatures in their battleline and you have none, you will shuffle in two enemy creatures and no friendly creatures.

5.  Agent Hoo-Man – Mars AOA_160 – Creature 2/~ – “Elusive.  Reap: Choose a friendly non-Mars creature and an enemy non-Mars creature.  Stun the chosen creatures.”

1. Can I choose and stun an enemy creature if I have no friendly non-Mars creatures?  By the above from the FAQ section of the Rules document, I assume I can.

Thanks, All.  I'm sure I'll query further.

Edited by Duciris
Premature post. Wasn't finished.

When a card has the Alpha keyword, it can only be played if you haven’t played, used, or discarded any other cards during step 3 of your turn. (P9 Rulebook)

That answers your first couple of questions; no, you can’t play them

23 minutes ago, Palpster said:

When a card has the Alpha keyword, it can only be played if you haven’t played, used, or discarded any other cards during step 3 of your turn. (P9 Rulebook)

That answers your first couple of questions; no, you can’t play them

Similarly, if you ended up playing an Omega card, it would end your turn. So Alpha and Omegas provide some measure of protection against it. 

Sucker Punch - You play it. If you destroy a creature with it it goes in your archive. 

Groggins - You are correct, the two creatures on the flank cannot be attacked by a creature so Groggins cannot fight.

Collector Worm - I believe you are correct.

Destructive Analysis - I believe and would play that if you purge the card it is purged (based on the wording of Purge) but I could see this one going either way. Same with Yzphyz Knowdrone.

Agent Hoo-Man - Yes under resolve as much as you can.

I'd be curious to see what others think about purging opponent's cards out of your archive. That's a good question. Might be a good one for the rules forum - or where ever you need to post to actually get an answer.

Off topic Question - Where do people post to get an official answer? I'm now waiting 3-4 months+ on a question.

Not sure the creature that gets destroyed by an attacking Collector Worm is still archived. Fight abilities go off when the attacking creature is not destroyed, wouldn’t this mean that the other is destroyed at this point and it therefore no longer fights CW and isn’t placed in Archives?

curious to see what others make of it. 

1 hour ago, Palpster said:

Not sure the creature that gets destroyed by an attacking Collector Worm is still archived. Fight abilities go off when the attacking creature is not destroyed, wouldn’t this mean that the other is destroyed at this point and it therefore no longer fights CW and isn’t placed in Archives?

That's how I've been playing it.

2 hours ago, Palpster said:

This is my opinion as well.  If the create is destroyed it does not get archived.  Thus why he has so much armor and not power.

With the right cards you can archive from cards in play, from your hand, and from the discard pile. So why would this be an exception?

The fight ability is resolved as long as the attacking creature survives the fight. Under "Leaves Play" in the Rules Reference,  if the card goes from an "in-play" zone to an "out of play" zone (aka to your deck, hand or archive) any effects that are about to interact with it may no longer do so. So sure it's not spelled out but I think it's very reasonable to infer that this means a fight ability like the one on Collector Worm can still interact with a destroyed creature if it is in the discard pile.

Also, the collector worm has 2 power. Trust me, it isn't killing many creatures when it attacks. This doesn't come up very much at all.

Edited by TheSpitfired

What happens when you play Tyxl Beambuckler (AoA 171) on an empty board?

Creature (Martian Soldier), Power 4, Armor 1 - Play: Deal 2D to a creature and move it to either flank of its controller battleline.

I assume it must hit itself (the armor absorbs 1D at least!), but since Drummernaut was clarified to "another Giant", I was hoping this was also the case here.

50 minutes ago, coriolis said:

What happens when you play Tyxl Beambuckler (AoA 171) on an empty board?

Creature (Martian Soldier), Power 4, Armor 1 - Play: Deal 2D to a creature and move it to either flank of its controller battleline.

I assume it must hit itself (the armor absorbs 1D at least!), but since Drummernaut was clarified to "another Giant", I was hoping this was also the case here.

Drummernaut was errata’d because you could not play Drummernaut if it was the only giant you controlled (or rather, you could play it up to 6 times and then it was still on your hand). This problem does not exist for Tyxl, it has to deal 2 to itself if there are no orher targets, just like Smaaash had to stun itself in the absence of other creatures.

I told you there would be more questions.

• One Against Many – Sanctum AOA_259 – Acton – “1Æ.  Play: Ready and fight with a friendly creature 3 times, each time against a different enemy creature.  Resolve these fights one at a time.”
    • For the selected creature, does this count as 1 or 3 times for the purposes of The Rule of Six?