Jump to content
Bucknife

Quad T70s (Updated thread)

Recommended Posts

July 2019 Points update: 

Jess is now 51 points (-1)

Blacks are now 49 (-1)

Experts are now 47 (-1)

Rookies are now 45 (-1)

 

_______________

Original Post: June1st, 2019

Jessika Pava -52 points

3x Red Squadron Experts 

+ Heroic = 49 pts x 3

Total 199

___________________________________

Took this to a hyperspace Trial since I've played t70s since 1e, so I know 'em like the back of my hand, yet I was surprised how many times I felt like there was nothing I could do to win.

Maybe I flew a "variance-dependant list" (ironic, considering three heroics), but I still felt like the general chassis of the T70 really lacks in the area of linked actions

For some reason, maybe it's just me, but I don't get the "special, boosty xwings" vibe from them anymore that I got in 1e. Probably just a product of feature-creep/dial creep with everything getting tallon rolls and sloops now. 

The weapon hard point seems a bit underwhelming right now, but I get that the purpose of generic T70s in the faction is to be the sort of "jack of all trades" filler. 

 

With the hard point as a serious consideration in their competitive usefulness, I think generic T70s might need some points adjustments. 

Not sure how, but I'm looking forward to them as they come. 

This game is Awesome! I really enjoy 2e. 

I just hope we keep that balance train coming. 

Resistance and FO both need help. 

Edited by Bucknife
Misspelling and idea clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try this Jess build.  The BB units are beyond useful in adding the ability to block and move around.  Plus Jess can get some extra use of her ability if she’s in a jamb.  Also personally, I feel like T-70s get the best mileage when I am aggressive with them, and use their speed to set up the battlefield.

T-70 X-wing - •Jessika Pava - 60
    •Jessika Pava - The Great Destroyer (52)
        BB Astromech (3)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)
        Pattern Analyzer (5)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 46
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 47
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        BB Astromech (1)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 47
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        BB Astromech (1)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tharcas said:

Try this Jess build.  The BB units are beyond useful in adding the ability to block and move around.  Plus Jess can get some extra use of her ability if she’s in a jamb.  Also personally, I feel like T-70s get the best mileage when I am aggressive with them, and use their speed to set up the battlefield.

T-70 X-wing - •Jessika Pava - 60
    •Jessika Pava - The Great Destroyer (52)
        BB Astromech (3)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)
        Pattern Analyzer (5)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 46
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 47
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        BB Astromech (1)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Blue Squadron Rookie - 47
    Blue Squadron Rookie - (46)
        BB Astromech (1)
        Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

Total: 200/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

I think this is probably one of the best quad T-70 builds. Jess works amazingly well in a heavy swarm, and the BB astromech is awesome value on an initiative 1 rookie. Free barrel rolls once things get up close and personal is priceless. Don't forget Jamming Beams, too. They're rarely game-winning, but they're also free; if you come up against a reinforced target (like an Upsilon), using Jess' attack to destroy the reinforce token and make three attacks against an unreinforced target is better than four attacks with -1 damage on each one.

By comparison, if you're taking Red Squadron Experts, I feel like you might as well dump Jess for a fourth generic and load them all up with Predator. Heroic is nice because it's cheap but it's mostly a defensive upgrade for a T-70 (because it's far more likely to trigger on a 2-dice roll than a 3-dice roll), and a defensive upgrade for a 4+ ship squad is generally worse than an offensive one, since only the single ship being shot at in any given turn gets to benefit.

 

That said, one other option I've seen is 4 Rookies with R2 astromechs. Rookies are tough enough that they will normally survive the first pass, and being able to disengage and recover a couple of shields is very unpleasant; even assuming you only ever manage to trigger R2 once, it's still making that X-wing as hard to put down as a U-wing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KingmanHighborn said:

I wish we got more Black Squadron Ace cards in the conversion pack. I think at 50 points a pop and I4 they make good wingmates for other ships. Maybe even go yolo and run four with just servos and a prayer. 

I ran 3 Heroic Blacks with Heroic Lulo, but bedsides a couple more favorable matchups, it really wasn't significantly better. 

T70's really need things to boost their action economy, and need focus to boost their heroic as well. 

R4 + PA is basically my preferred combo on all generics, but of course the I1s can't take Heroic, so I run them with nothing or just BBs. 

There's not enough points for three Reds + Lulo with my preferred generic setup, so I gambled with Jess to see if she was worth it, and I kinda feel like the answer was "no" right now. 

Too many unmodified dice. 

I literally can't tell you how many times I threw four dice range one and landed 1 or no hits on target. 

Too many. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's not a generic X-Wing, but I've always enjoyed Ello Asty's ability. Paired with Daredevil, BB-8, and Black One, she becomes about as unpredictably mobile as Echo, maybe even more so. Expensive though, and you have to get used to her.

Otherwise I like the 4 rookies with R2 and jamming beam. Beefy but also able to focus kill opponents even when reinforce is used. Not very action efficient, but as said before, they probably survive the first pass, so pick up a lock on the way out and then enjoy full mods on the second pass.

Edited by Raven19528

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

and need focus to boost their heroic as well. 

Unmodified defence dice aren't great, even with possible rerolls.

It's why I'd recommend trying 4 x Red Squadron Experts with Predator. True, you could have Heavy Laser Cannon rookies for the same price and get 4 dice rather than 3 with a reroll, but the big difference is that predator still works at range 1, giving you the bonus attack die plus a reroll plus focus, at the range where it's easiest to line up a bullseye shot, too.

(Theoretically the increased initiative might also let you either get or avoid an initiative kill, but they're still only I3, so I wouldn't rely on it).

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Magnus Grendel, thanks. 

I can see how investing in survival with heroic to buy me more overall offense over the long game is a weaker strategy than in investing in guaranteed offense in the early/mid game.

I'll definitely take that to heart with my T70's, and also take it to the table...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wurms said:

This list just got top 4 at seattle system open, beating rebel beefs along the way.

And 1st in the Austin HT, flown by a guy who'd played about a dozen 2.0 games total. My boy Hunter is a beast though.

Same guy took 4x wookies to worlds at the end of 1.0

Edited by prauxim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying out Jess+BB with 3 Heroic Red Experts. 

Won 2-0 last night against republic, deleted an Arc and Obi Wan in 2 consecutive rounds. 

Not as fun to fly as the 3 aces but much easier and more in line with where the game is right now. Sadly more hull and dice is a lot easier to win with. 

They do get fun mid-game when the knife fight breaks out too. 

Would consider the 4 i4 ones or even 4 i1 with Advanced Optics, but Jess adds a nice bit of interest so I don’t want to take her out. 

Edited by ayedubbleyoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

Would consider the 4 i4 ones or even 4 i1 with Advanced Optics

I don't have 4 black squadron aces (I suspect relatively few people do...) but they look nice. 4 pattern analyser rookies - or 4 BB astromech rookies with optics or heavy lasers - look really nice, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, missileaway said:

I might give 4x red squadron experts with marksmanship and autoblasters a try just for kicks. Spread them out in a line abreast and you've got a rather large no fly zone in front of you. 

That's also leaving your squadron spread out with few to no overlapping arcs. Yes you have a shot on half the board area, however 999x out of 1000 1-2 T-70 shots will not take an average ship off the board and gives your opponent the opportunity to isolate your ships.

Fly these guys in formation, its terrifying. I have flown against the pilot, Andy, from the Seattle System open with his Jess Pava and x3 red squadron experts and all of those games were only winnable when pushing the break in formation even without Pava's ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, missileaway said:

I might give 4x red squadron experts with marksmanship and autoblasters a try just for kicks. Spread them out in a line abreast and you've got a rather large no fly zone in front of you. 

Remember the autoblaster is only un-evade-able from outside the target's forward arc - It's a nice loadout, but you want to be closing from multiple points of the compass, not in a nice neat line abreast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, Glattyator said:

That's also leaving your squadron spread out with few to no overlapping arcs. Yes you have a shot on half the board area, however 999x out of 1000 1-2 T-70 shots will not take an average ship off the board and gives your opponent the opportunity to isolate your ships.

Fly these guys in formation, its terrifying. I have flown against the pilot, Andy, from the Seattle System open with his Jess Pava and x3 red squadron experts and all of those games were only winnable when pushing the break in formation even without Pava's ability.

In my first game with them I killed a Republic Arc in one round, then turned onto Obi Wan and killed him in one round. Awful. 

I’m not used to playing like this, but it seems the best way to go is just full on towards whatever you need to kill, ignoring everything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ayedubbleyoo said:

In my first game with them I killed a Republic Arc in one round, then turned onto Obi Wan and killed him in one round. Awful. 

I’m not used to playing like this, but it seems the best way to go is just full on towards whatever you need to kill, ignoring everything else. 

Cool story? Its not impossible just improbable that your game played out that way considering how many dice and HP you went through with only 1-2 arcs on a ship per round, unless I am misunderstanding how you are flying your formation.  I am just going off of my experiences and the premier games online.

What I envision to be a good Xwing formation:              What I thought you were talking about:      What I think you are talking about now?:

________________________________________                     _______________________________________________  _______________________________________________

XX                                                                                X                                                                            X

XX                                                                                                                                                               X

                                                                                                                                                                    X

                                                                                     X                                                                            X

 

 

                                                                                     X

 

 

__________________________________________                X______________________________________________  __________________________________________________

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Magnus Grendel said:

Remember the autoblaster is only un-evade-able from outside the target's forward arc - It's a nice loadout, but you want to be closing from multiple points of the compass, not in a nice neat line abreast.

There was 2 separate points of feed back on the formation of flying in a line with a X-wing list. Can you still put it on the board? Yes. Can you still shoot down opposing ships? Yes. Is it the most effective formation for what your list is trying to do? No.

X-wings are built for Resistance and Rebel style of versatility, they are not the best at any one thing. However they are better than most in multiple roles of the game: Jousting, Arc dodging, Support ,and Armament (only thing they lack is turrets :D).

All of this is to say don't rely on flying in such a way that you limit your options in future turns or hang on to a sole strategy with a list. Board-state is in constant change and adaptability with skilled flying is what will win more times than not.

Edited by Glattyator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...