Sign in to follow this  
xero989

New FFG IP policy does it mean anything for us?

Posted (edited)

A member of my local community found this on the Armada subreddit.

In the IP policy it calls out vassle and TTS as violations, and even list building apps.

Will TTS and Vassle get a cease and desist, and with the restrictions imposed on list builders will Armada be getting an app?  All intresting questions.

Edit: changed the title, did not mean to sound like I was endorsing the idea I love what vassle and all community content brings to the game. I only wanted to make people aware of this, and maybe have some sort of discussion about what it could mean for us. I apologize.

Edited by xero989

36 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Short answer. No need to promote this, they are aware, thats all anyone needs to know. Dont worry. 

Move along. Move along. 

Not my intention to promote this , I hope it never happens, it was more just to make the community aware of the IP policy as no one from what I can tell had shared it one the forums.

I wonder if they are going the 2.0 route like x-wing did. A new clone wars starter set with conversion kits and a list building app that lets them modify points on the fly?

This is being discussed in the warlord list builder thread....

As I said there this (IP Policy) reads more of a legal position paper which can enable them to defend their IP if required.  Its publishment might be due to (as I understand it) American Law (demonstrate you can defend your IP) OR clauses with other IP holders, such as the mouse.

It is no more than what has been around for years put in to writing in a single place.

So as Ginkapo says.... nothing to see here, move along now

Image result for stormtrooper move along gif

For the most part, a lot of these IP protection things are required for various copyright reasons. Example: when the NES and SNES came out, Nintendo pushed game journalists to refer to systems as Game Systems. So the Nintendo Entertainment System, Game System. This was so that people didnt call all games systems Nintendos. Once a word becomes a common use word, it cant be copy writed, trademarked, ect.

Armada and Xwing are in a weird postion, as they are the only two major games of their class that most gamers have heard of. Because, Star Wars. So if people start calling it just Armada or XWing in legal documents, they might lose their trademark and copyright.

Also, in American Copyright Law, you have to be able to defend your copyright, or you can lose it.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

sounds very GW of them. 

Pretty much.  This is the sort of behavior GW started adopting in the early 2000s, and it **** near killed the company and lost them a ton of good will with their customers.  It went from a hobby game company run by devoted gamers who were passionate about their craft to a business run by CEOs, shareholders, and lawyers.   It's only been over the past five years that GW has started to back down from that legalistic bottom-line model and started rebuilding and respecting its fan communities, and GW has been doing very well internationally with a heavy stream of new products and games that all seem to do well. 

So, I'd say there's no way FFG/Asmodee would be bone-headed enough to try GW's terrible heavy-handed sterile strategy of the early 2000s.. but then if I've learned anything it's to never underestimate FFG now that AsmodeeNA is at the helm (and probably exacerbated by Peterson now being gone, who single-handedly built the FFG empire form his own deep passion for games and the gaming community). 

I have zero regrets about dropping Armada, and I'm very very close to selling off what remains of my X-Wing collection as well.  Better communities out there at the moment.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

First off, the companies pay lawyers retaining fees, so the lawyers have to do things every once in awhile to make it look like they are worth the fees.

Secondly, the lawyers always want the ability to create big cases they can get paid for.  So they devise lots of rules that can be enforced by the parent company in order to require more legal advice.

Thirdly, this is more of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure situation.  It's been out for a couple months and hasn't been utilized yet.  They just want stuff clear as day and available in case they decide to pull the trigger.  If they don't have this in place, it's easier for someone that really ticks them off to come and do the things that tick them off.

Fourthly, this is hardly uncommon.  Most major companies have these sorts of rules on the books.

Fifthly, unless someone has an entirely playable version online, you should be fine.  If Vassal only has the tools to play, but you still need the cards yourself so you know what the stats/abilities/etc are, then it's probably ok.  If something exists online that contains all the art, text, and rules, well then that risks losing sales.

Sixthly, list builders should be safe up until they aren't.  FFG likely appreciates list builders because they don't need to spend money making their own, but they still serve a useful purpose to the community.  Now if FFG wants to put out there own, and force players to use it, then they could use this document to shut others down.  Which leads us back to Thirdly...they don't know for sure what they plan to do in the future, but this document allows them to move in any direction and grants them to power to enforce product protection safeties if they feel it's needed.

On 6/8/2019 at 9:55 PM, Formynder4 said:

A pity you didn't drop the forum when you dropped the game.

I mean, literally the first post I've made on the Armada forums in like six weeks, but okay, yea ya got me good.

Sorry I took away precious bandwidth from all the riveting and novel discussions exploring all the fresh content of these boards... oh wait the front page is still the same speculation threads and podcast/blog self-promotions that it was a month ago.  :P

10 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I mean, literally the first post I've made on the Armada forums in like six weeks, but okay, yea ya got me good.

Sorry I took away precious bandwidth from all the riveting and novel discussions exploring all the fresh content of these boards... oh wait the front page is still the same speculation threads and podcast/blog self-promotions that it was a month ago.  :P

It's only been 495 days since the last Armada release 🤩

1 hour ago, Green Knight said:

It's only been 495 days since the last Armada release 🤩

(500) Days of Bummer, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt as unhealthily obsessed Armada fan who cannot take off the rose-colored glasses.

And the SSD's been available for pre-order for, what, nearly 400 of those days?  LOL @ people who pre-ordered an SSD as soon as vendors listed them.  The inflation rate of the US dollar since then has been about 4.25%, meaning that the $165 put down in over a year ago would now have been worth $172.02 (not even factoring in the about $2-6 of interest (depending on one's rate) that the $165 would have made sitting in a mid-rate savings account during that time), meaning effectively that the price of the SSD is going up up up for anyone who pre-ordered early.  Caveat emptor.

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Thread theme:

When your EX sees you at the grocery store and "accidentally" bumps into you just to tell you how happy she is with her new boyfriend. 

This made me chuckle.  :)  The only reason I stumbled into this aisle again is because it was linked in another game's forum pointing out this new IP Policy.

I'd hate to overstay my welcome of course, so I'll end with some positive words.  I do hope Armada somehow suddenly revs up and eventually finally gets the release it was promised years ago and gets the rest of the stuff hinted at and somehow starts getting regular releases and a community rebuilds around it again.  I think some of those things will happen, but I cannot really believe that they will all come to fruition.  But it is one of the better games I ever played, and it deserves better than its current treatment.  I would genuinely love for the game to find a new footing, even though I've moved on and wouldn't benefit from it. 

So best of luck, ye Armada faithfuls!  Keep the eternal flame burning.  Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning... 

*salutes, tearfully*