Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

53 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

Actually, I just spotted something interesting in the article for the Search for Kadath:

"In stark contrast to the rest of the Timeless Realm, Hazuth-Kleg is a decaying city of dingy, twisting streets and basalt towers that lies outside the reach of the king of Celephaïs. Even simple rules of architecture do not seem to apply here, and though there are gods venerated within the city's many temples, none of them are the reputable sort that you seek."

The investigators are looking for helpful gods. Taking bets: Bastet, Nodens or Hypnos? 

Possibly any of them, or players choice?

Bast would make sense to me just because they've already establish a canon for Dreamlands cats in Caroline's novella with Foolishness and others. It would be interesting to see some Caroline only story beats like the Diana/Lola ones? 

8 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Bast would make sense to me just because they've already establish a canon for Dreamlands cats in Caroline's novella with Foolishness and others. It would be interesting to see some Caroline only story beats like the Diana/Lola ones? 

It might be like The Forgotten Age, where the first 2 scenarios require the Lead Investigator to be one of Leo Anderson, Ursula Downs or Monterey Jack if possible - perhaps in the Dreamlands, the Lead Investigator will need to be one of the ones with previous Dreamlands experience if possible?

Posted (edited)

That's... who? Caroline, Luke... there's several investigators with nightmares, but none I think have been to the dreamlands. Gloria Goldberg, Ashcan Pete, Jacqueline Fine... 

Edit: also, the follow-up scenario is Dark Side of the Moon. That also points at cats. 

Edited by Eldan985

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

That's... who? Caroline, Luke... there's several investigators with nightmares, but none I think have been to the dreamlands. Gloria Goldberg, Ashcan Pete, Jacqueline Fine... 

Well, Carolyn's direct connection to the Dreamlands is a new feature as well - previously, her patients had dreams that revealed bad stuff, but it wasn't explicit (e.g. in Eldritch Horror) that she, or indeed anyone other than Luke Robinson, had visited the Dreamlands before. You could handwave it easily enough anyway, like maybe Gloria has never formally been to the Dreamlands but she is more attuned to the world of dreams, etc.

Edited by Allonym

Yeah prior to Carolyn's novella there was really only Luke established as a real "Dreamer".  Other characters like Ashcan Pete, Gloria, Amanda and Jacqueline have visions, but aren't described as literal "Dreamers" who descend the stairs and live whole lives in the Dreamland each time they fall asleep.  It's possible that talent can be unlocked for them just like with Carolyn, or they can find other ways to enter the Dreamland.  You don't have to be born a "Dreamer".  At least not in the Call Of Cthulhu RPG.

I could see an argument for Agnes being well suited to a Dreamlands campaign.  We have no real evidence that she is explicitly a "Dreamer".  Though she certainly remembers a past life in Hyperborea where she was a powerful witch.  Hyperborean stories and Dreamlands stories have some cross over.  It's always possible she could discover a way to enter the Dreamland or that her past self was an experience "Dreamer" and she has yet to unlock that talent.

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2019 at 5:59 AM, Eldan985 said:

Yeah, but I think that's just how every cult and alien mentions Shub-Niggurath and every sorcerer chants Yog-Sothoth at least once. That doesn't mean those GOOs feature, they are just mentioned. Plus Big A lives in the dark void between the stars, and they just went there in the Circle.

I just finished The Circle Undone.

It has the same ending as The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, so I guess they are going with a different ending in Dream-Eaters.

Edited by Sindriss

^Notable notes, she can have 30, 40, or 50 cards in her deck and gets to choose her secondary class from survivor, rogue, or mystic.

She looks very interesting. I have no idea which direction I would even take her secondary though.

Posted (edited)

Tony also gets a choice; I'm thinking 90% of the decks will go with Guardian. He wants to kill stuff, right?

(Edited to add: Seeker could be a good choice for Shortcuts and other mobility, oriented cards. And for true solo where he'll have to get all the clues.)

Mandy's insane deck manipulation makes Survivor a tempting choice, giving her access to her discard too. I'm picturing a very fine 19XP Mandy deck with Survivor secondary class and Red-Gloved man to be her in-deck beau.

Edited by Carthoris

Really liking the bounty mini game with Tony. Really strong guardian type with all the cheese criminal cards. Should play a bit different than the typical shoot them in the face guardian.

Posted (edited)

Just as an interesting aside, her signature card's artwork is a point for point remake of her original artwork (from Arkham Horror 2nd edition & Elder Sign), but with 1 specific difference: no glasses.

ahc37_card_occult-evidence.png

20160629_142309.jpg

I can understand why they would move from the classic character portrait, but why commission a second piece of art that depicts the same scene?

(I wonder if the censor blocker will let the word boobs get through?)

Edited by Duciris

I'm very much in favour of getting rid of the pointless sexualisation, so it's a good update in my book! The posture looks a lot more natural as well. It's a nice piece of art. But the true MVP is the art on Shocking Discovery, that's amazing.

I didn't even know the original was sexualized.  

It just looks like they went with different head/face when they moved into Eldritch Horror.  Ashcan Pete received a similar makeover.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Allonym said:

I'm very much in favour of getting rid of the pointless sexualisation, so it's a good update in my book! The posture looks a lot more natural as well. It's a nice piece of art. But the true MVP is the art on Shocking Discovery, that's amazing.

Oh, I don't like Shocking Discovery.  Very cartoonish compared to the other two, more like the old Norman and Daisy art.

Another oddity about the revised version is the hair -- very modern and completely different from the other two cards.

I think there's a particular actress she reminds me of in the new version but I can't place her.  Young Glenne Headly comes to mind, but I don't think that's it.

Edited by CSerpent

Posted (edited)

As counter intuitive as it is, I often remove my glasses when I'm up late doing work and have become tired.  I'm quite near-sighted though, and if I was looking at a paper as far away as she is in the new art, things would be a bit blurry. Perhaps she's far-sighted (or the glasses are just an affectation!).

Edited by Soakman

1 hour ago, CSerpent said:

Oh, I don't like Shocking Discovery.  Very cartoonish compared to the other two, more like the old Norman and Daisy art.

I like the art on all three, but they seem a bit off together

I might be a better idea to have the investigator, the weakness  and the signature card art to be done by the same artist, in order to make a better set

6 minutes ago, cheapmate said:

I like the art on all three, but they seem a bit off together

I might be a better idea to have the investigator, the weakness  and the signature card art to be done by the same artist, in order to make a better set

The problem there is that some art is quite old (by our standards).  I like the idea though.

The weakness is the newest art, the Investigator card is straight from Eldritch Horror, and the signature card is a revamped version of the old art with a new face.   

I posted this over on BGG, but wasn't sure if it has the same crowd. Was looking at possible Mandy combos with her ability and was wondering if you guys thought they would all work. I think there's some doubt as to what the 'resolves 1 additional target' phrasing really means.

Anyway, in your esteemed opinions, would these all be good combos?

Charisma + Flare (survivor 2ndary, assuming you can take lvl 1 cards)
Research Librarians + Tomes + Knowledge is Power
Mandy + Finn = More Smuggled Goods!
Mandy + The Council's Coffer = Everyone search and immediately play TWO cards from your deck. Is the Coffer worth using NOW?
Mandy + Leo in same location= Leo's Elder sign lets him pull TWO allies into his hand (combo charismatic survivor/flare Mandy with Leo for a friend-fest?)

I think these all work?

15 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Mandy + The Council's Coffer = Everyone search and immediately play TWO cards from your deck. Is the Coffer worth using NOW?

I think these all work?

This one won't - at least not to the extent you describe. Mandy's ability specifies that it happens for an investigator, and is limit 1/round, so only one person will get the extra card.