Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

1 hour ago, gazzagames said:

A word for Scroll of Prophecies too... this looks a solid 0-lvl tome, and Daisy can use it too...perhaps a rival for Old book of Lore??? Limited by charges, but 4 is decent, and it doesn't exhaust after use!

Good candidate for Knowledge is Power too.

Wait one sec.

The article said that the cicle can be played with 4 or 8 scenarios, and The Search For Kadath is classified as Scenario 2-A.

My completely baseless specukation is that half of the scenarios happen in standard reality and half of the other ones in the Dreamlands and that you can play either campaign separately or both in something like Epic Multiplayer Mode from the only LCG I bother playing.

17 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

Wait one sec.

The article said that the cicle can be played with 4 or 8 scenarios, and The Search For Kadath is classified as Scenario 2-A.

My completely baseless specukation is that half of the scenarios happen in standard reality and half of the other ones in the Dreamlands and that you can play either campaign separately or both in something like Epic Multiplayer Mode from the only LCG I bother playing.

Not entirely baseless.

1–4 players take on the roles of either a group of investigators venturing into the Dreamlands or their companions who have been left in the waking world.

Each of the scenarios in The Dream-Eaters can be played on their own or combined with three of the six Mythos Packs in The Dream-Eaters cycle to form a larger four-part campaign. Alternatively, these scenarios can also be combined with all six of Mythos Packs to form a cohesive eight-part campaign.

I wonder if the packs will alternate between Dreamlands and waking world, or complete one mini-campaign then the other. 

My assumption is that they will alternate, because the deluxe (apparently) contains scenario 1 for each of the threads and because it would mean that the climax to the stories would come about at the end of the cycle regardless, which would make more sense if the two threads interweave somewhat. 

However, I kind of hope I'm wrong about that; I like the idea of having a full (mini-)campaign to play after the first 3 packs are released, since I prefer to play campaigns through to the conclusion (not that I haven't played incomplete campaigns before, but it has felt very unsatisfying).

9 hours ago, Allonym said:

I wonder if the packs will alternate between Dreamlands and waking world, or complete one mini-campaign then the other. 

My assumption is that they will alternate, because the deluxe (apparently) contains scenario 1 for each of the threads and because it would mean that the climax to the stories would come about at the end of the cycle regardless, which would make more sense if the two threads interweave somewhat. 

However, I kind of hope I'm wrong about that; I like the idea of having a full (mini-)campaign to play after the first 3 packs are released, since I prefer to play campaigns through to the conclusion (not that I haven't played incomplete campaigns before, but it has felt very unsatisfying).

This will definitely be a cycle I will hold off on playing until its complete.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:33 AM, Allonym said:

I think, alas, that your assumption is correct - I too have been hoping it'll be as you hope, but I don't think so. But let's look at the pack names and see if we can work it out: 

Deluxe: 1a & 1b
The Search for Kadath: 2a
A Thousand Shapes of Horror: 2b / 3a
Dark Side of the Moon: 3a / 4a
Point of No Return: 3b / 2b
Where the Gods Dwell: 4a / 3b
Weaver of the Cosmos: 4b / 4b

My suspicion based on pack names alone is that Search for Kadath, Dark Side of the Moon and Where the Gods Dwell = one campaign line, with the other three alternating. That's in part because Where the Gods Dwell and Weaver of the Cosmos feel like climactic scenario names - I'd argue the toss about some of the middle scenarios. I wonder if A Thousand Shapes of Horror is something from the Dreamlands breaking into our world, presaging the arrival of Atlach-Nacha, etc... though Point of No Return does sound pretty Dreamlands-y to me... It's definitely not clear cut! 

Posted (edited)

If Weaver is the real-world side, it seems like Atlach may actually break through. 😮

So.. Atlach is the AO for the real side... wonder if there's a different one on the Dream side, like Nyarly or Hypnos. 

Edited by Soakman

31 minutes ago, Sindriss said:

It could be Azathoth.

Azathoth isn't known for multiple shapes or forms, let alone a thousand, has no connection at all to the Dreamlands, and is already the Ancient One for TCU. I can't see any reason to think it would be involved here.

29 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Azathoth isn't known for multiple shapes or forms, let alone a thousand, has no connection at all to the Dreamlands, and is already the Ancient One for TCU. I can't see any reason to think it would be involved here.

He is mentioned several times in Dreamquest. There's your connection. Nyarlathotep is all over the art so his inclusion is obvious.

Yeah, but I think that's just how every cult and alien mentions Shub-Niggurath and every sorcerer chants Yog-Sothoth at least once. That doesn't mean those GOOs feature, they are just mentioned. Plus Big A lives in the dark void between the stars, and they just went there in the Circle. 

16 hours ago, CSerpent said:

A Thousand Shapes could be Nyarlathotep as well.

Let's not forget the eponymous Dream-Eaters.  What are those?  They don't sound good, that's for sure.

Entirely baseless speculation time: in Dream-Quest, the Gods of Earth tried to break into Randolph Carter's dreams and live there, because he was dreaming of the most wonderful city ever. This might be something similar and someone, maybe the gods again (given that one pack is Where the Gods Dwell) is trying to steal particularly nice dreams from people again? 

Posted (edited)

Spoilers for Dreamquest, but Nyarlathotep's trap was meant to send Randolph to the Black Throne.  So it's possible ultimately it could be Azathoth with Nyarlathotep as his servant/priest (which is correct thematically).  The only thing really giving me pause is we just had Azathoth. 

I like that Nyarlathotep is here since in dreamquest Randolph has more interaction with that character than anyone else in the original Lovecraft stories as far as I recall.  He really is Randolph's foil in the story.

I'm so hyped about this cycle I'll take any great old one. That we are getting Atlach was enough for me honestly.  It's cool to see her used in the context of the Dreamland.  I don't know what Dream Eaters will mean as far as mythos deity influence. 

Add: I think most people were expecting Hypnos to factor in somehow, but I'm not sure how to make a connection there.  Also with Nyarly and Atlach we probably are packed enough with mythos entities.  Though it would be cool for Nodens to make an appearance in this game at some point.  Feels like it would be cool to get some Nodens themed mystic cards since he likes to hunt Dreamland stuff and Nyarly.

Edited by phillos

Posted (edited)

Question. Is there much of a mythos source on Hypnos? I know the short story of that name by Lovecraft, but that doesn't really feature an old one of that name, it's just about people experimenting with what might be the proto-dreamlands. Apart from that, I only know him from Eldritch Horror. 

Edited by Eldan985

Hypnos was a part of Arkham Horror 2nd Edition board game, where he featured as a Guardian... er..    not in the way we know them with Guardian class in the LCG.     Basically Hypnos was sort of like an anti-ancient one that helped the players out, adding additional clue tokens to the board, and making traveling through the outer worlds slightly safer.

I forgot about that part, thanks, but I was more thinking... which mythos source is he based on? Which books or stories? Because I can't find any sources on the guy. An FFG invention?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

I forgot about that part, thanks, but I was more thinking... which mythos source is he based on? Which books or stories? Because I can't find any sources on the guy. An FFG invention?

If you're asking "what's the origin of Hypnos within the Cthulhu Mythos", that would be the short story you specify: Hypnos is the stranger who the protagonist of the story befriends, the godlike subject of his sculpting who leads him to experimentation is Hypnos himself.

If you're asking "what's the origin of Hypnos as a god in general", that would be ancient Greece.

Edit: However, Hypnos as like...a Big God who does stuff on a global/cosmic scale within the Cthulhu Mythos was apparently started by Chaosium with the Call of Cthulhu RPG. FFG took that ball and ran with it, as @awp832 indicates. FFG and the Call of Cthulhu RPG (which at this point have a symbiotic relationship but are still distinct canons) have their own versions of the Cthulhu Mythos unto themselves, and within FFG's mythos, Hypnos is a cosmic threat.

Edited by Allonym

37 minutes ago, Allonym said:
43 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

If you're asking "what's the origin of Hypnos within the Cthulhu Mythos", that would be the short story you specify: Hypnos is the stranger who the protagonist of the story befriends, the godlike subject of his sculpting who leads him to experimentation is Hypnos himself.

If you're asking "what's the origin of Hypnos as a god in general", that would be ancient Greece.

Edit: However, Hypnos as like...a Big God who does stuff on a global/cosmic scale within the Cthulhu Mythos was apparently started by Chaosium with the Call of Cthulhu RPG. FFG took that ball and ran with it, as @awp832 indicates. FFG and the Call of Cthulhu RPG (which at this point have a symbiotic relationship but are still distinct canons) have their own versions of the Cthulhu Mythos unto themselves, and within FFG's m

Yeah, that's what I meant. I read Hypnos, from what I remember, it's not even really clear what Hypnos is in that story. Might as well just be a human, a sorcerer or experienced dream-walker. I was just wondering if the name was used anywhere else by Mythos writers. 

Actually, I just spotted something interesting in the article for the Search for Kadath:

"In stark contrast to the rest of the Timeless Realm, Hazuth-Kleg is a decaying city of dingy, twisting streets and basalt towers that lies outside the reach of the king of Celephaïs. Even simple rules of architecture do not seem to apply here, and though there are gods venerated within the city's many temples, none of them are the reputable sort that you seek."

The investigators are looking for helpful gods. Taking bets: Bastet, Nodens or Hypnos?