Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

A little numbers update. With a double signature for Tony, that's 18 cards of 56 accounted for between card numbers 1 and 17, leaving 38 from #18-38... which is tricky. Not 100% sure Crystallizer pair are indeed 24 & 25 but that's what it looks like on the stream.

1 Guardian investigator
2 Seeker investigator
3 Tony Morgan
4 Luke Robinson
5 Survivor investigator

6 guardian sig 1
7 guardian sig 2
8 seeker sig 1
9 seeker sig 2
10 Bounty Contracts
11 Tony's .38 Long Colt x2
12 Tony's Quarry

13 Gate Box
14 Detached from Reality
15 Dream-Gate

16 survivor sig 1
17 survivor sig 2

18 guardian 1
19 guardian 2
20 guardian 3
21 seeker 1
22 seeker 2
23 seeker 3
24 Crystallizer of Dreams
25 Guardian of the Crystallizer

26 rogue 3
27 mystic 1
28 mystic 2
29 Open Gate
30 survivor 1
31 survivor 2 
32 survivor 3
33 bonus
34 bonus
35 bonus
36 bonus
37 basic weakness??
38 basic weakness??

39 scenario card for scenario 1
40 agenda 1 Journal through the gates

1 hour ago, zooeyglass said:

A little numbers update. With a double signature for Tony, that's 18 cards of 56 accounted for between card numbers 1 and 17, leaving 38 from #18-38... which is tricky. Not 100% sure Crystallizer pair are indeed 24 & 25 but that's what it looks like on the stream.

I agree that Guardian of the Crystallizer looks like it is numbered 25 when shown on the stream. I reckon that means 26 and 27 will be Rogue cards 2 and 3 and everything else is bumped up a number. If another class were to get a bonded card then that would take up another bonus slot

the Survivor bonded asset shown on the French FFG page, for example

so cards 35 and 36 could be Neutrals.

I might be wrong, but I believe the 56 player cards excludes investigator cards. So we need 43 from #18-#38, assuming that no other investigators have multiple copies of their signature asset. Or weakness. This could be two copies of everything from #18-#38, with an extra copy of Open Gate if the Myriad keyword were to need it. Basic Weaknesses could be singles instead of pairs if more cards are needed for anything related to Myriad.

So... another Rogue/Survivor Investigator while I'm desesperatly waiting for some Rogue/Seeker or Seeker/Rogue deckbuild... and we also have a Survivor/Rogue and a Survivor/Trick.

I didn't want a 5-Combat Rogue, but I guess it's still a nice spot to fill.

10 hours ago, CSerpent said:

I count 25, but then you have to include Norman and Silas, who we can safely assume will also be in future cycles.  So 27 to come.  Still probably five campaigns, with two of them having six gators.

Luke Robinson is unreleased but marked on the list.  But you are right about Norman and Silas... That bumps it up to 28... So we can have three campaigns with 6 investigators.  Which would line up perfectly with our every other campaign having 6 routine we're on right now.

11 minutes ago, vindoq said:

So... another Rogue/Survivor Investigator while I'm desesperatly waiting for some Rogue/Seeker or Seeker/Rogue deckbuild... and we also have a Survivor/Rogue and a Survivor/Trick.

If you read his investigator card he can do Survivor/Rogue/Seeker as a 0-1 off class. (Event and Skill Cards Only) He can only pick one of them and has to stick with them for the rest of the campaign.  The live stream just happened to use Survivor as an example.

39 minutes ago, vindoq said:

To add to what @Antimarkovnikov said, this is a picture of Tony Morgan's backside(!) giving his deckbuilding requirements.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f

Taken from the FFG live stream and originally posted by Wyndam22 on Board Game Geek.

Ah, so they've kept his Innsmouth backstory from Eldritch Horror.

Now, I know that we're liable to seize on any scrap of information and extrapolate wildly from it, but...Carolyn Fern has a very Dreamlands backstory and was in the cycle before Dreamlands.

So, Tony Morgan = Innsmouth/Cthulhu cycle confirmed? (I jest. Kind of.)

4 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

I don't think the bonded cards will count toward the 3 investigator card limit that the other deluxe boxes have provided, so all of those bonus slots could be for those bonded cards.  (unless they decide to add more dual faction cards). 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:10 PM, Assussanni said:

I might be wrong, but I believe the 56 player cards excludes investigator cards. So we need 43 from #18-#38, assuming that no other investigators have multiple copies of their signature asset. Or weakness. This could be two copies of everything from #18-#38, with an extra copy of Open Gate if the Myriad keyword were to need it. Basic Weaknesses could be singles instead of pairs if more cards are needed for anything related to Myriad.

We're both wrong - I've just done a count and the announced 'player card' number includes signatures but not investigator cards themselves (so for Carcosa, 62 player cards = 40 faction cards {4 x 2 per faction}, 4 weaknesses and 18 sigs). Which would mean the 56 player cards here are #6 - #38.... 

But we're still stymied until we know how many copies of Bonded cards show up (2 for each one? 1 and 3? some other variable?) and how Myriad works. 

6 hours ago, zooeyglass said:

But we're still stymied until we know how many copies of Bonded cards show up (2 for each one? 1 and 3? some other variable?)

It can't be two apiece, because we've already seen that Occult Lexicon pulls three copies of its Bonded card. We'll know more once Before the Black Throne comes out (which should be soon, since Team Covenant's already processed my order).

I'm guessing that most of the Bonded cards will be set up to give you a full playset with four cards: 1 copy of Occult Lexicon with 3 copies of Blood Rite, and 2 copies each of Crystallizer and its Guardian. But that's pure speculation at this point.

15 hours ago, rsdockery said:

It can't be two apiece, because we've already seen that Occult Lexicon pulls three copies of its Bonded card. We'll know more once Before the Black Throne comes out (which should be soon, since Team Covenant's already processed my order).

I'm guessing that most of the Bonded cards will be set up to give you a full playset with four cards: 1 copy of Occult Lexicon with 3 copies of Blood Rite, and 2 copies each of Crystallizer and its Guardian. But that's pure speculation at this point.

That's fair speculation, and if you'd asked me to pick numbers, I'd also have picked 1/3 and 2/2 for lexicon/blood-rite, crystallizer/guardian respectively! 

Posted (edited)

Looking at the remaining investigators it's pretty easy to assign at least 5 of them to each of the five faction so they don't need to create anyone new to just cover a missing faction spot.  Though I suspect they will create a new investigator here or there.  I was a bit worried about Mystic and Guardian since they appeared lighter at first glance, but I think we can get there.

• I think we can easily get five Guardians if we consider: Daniela Reyes, Lily Chen, Sister Mary, Tommy Muldoon and Vincent Lee. The one I'm least convinced about is Daniela, but Carolyn showed us that Guardians are more about helping and protecting people and not just about fighting so maybe we could even see Hank or Carson here.
  • Mystic was a bit harder but based on who had starting spells in other games or have mysticism in their back story I'd guess:  Dexter Drake, Jacqueline Fine, Luke Robinson, Harvey Walters and Patrice Hathaway. 
  • Survivors maybe a reasonable guess is: Carson Sinclair, Hank Samson, Silas Marsh, Gloria Goldberg and Wilson Richards
  • Rogues I'm thinking: Bob Jenkins, Monterey Jack, Tony Morgan, Trish Scarborough, Charlie Kane and Mike McGlen.
  • Seekers are easiest considering we have so many academics left in the pool:  Agatha Crane, Amanda Sharpe, Darrell Simmons, George Barnaby, Kate Winthrop, Mandy Thompson and Norman Withers.  Maybe Agatha is a Mystic or Amanda is a Survivor.

I'm struggling to guess who from these investigator pools will get a spot in Dream-Eaters with Luke and Tony.  What makes it difficult is I don't feel like we have alot of dreamland thematic investigators left and Tony is thematically linked to Deep-Ones, which is a bit of a monkey wrench.  I guess they could always add thematic links to investigators with more generic backstories.

I'm guessing we got Tony this go around because there plenty of investigators tied to Deep Ones and/or R'lyeh.  Amanda and Silas obviously but also Trish and Mike McGlen.  Both Trish and Mike can easily fill a Rogue slot and Tony was another obvious Rogue so it looks like a pretty crowded slot for an Innsmouth cycle.  I'm really surprised they gave us Carolyn last cycle though.  I liked getting her early but my gamer OCD wanted her in the Dream-Eaters cycle to make that nice and thematically clean.  So Carcosa, TCU and TFA all had pretty reasonable thematic picks for those boxes.  Dunwich didn't really but they were all mechanically linked with deck building rules. 

If I'm wish listed I think I'd like to see Agatha and/or Gloria in this box along with maybe Carson.  Gloria might have a bit of a thematic connection considering she is motivated by dreams so I feel like that's the best educated guess.  Agatha because it would be nice to get an older woman into the roster.  I want Carson because I'd like to play Carson and Preston together.  That sounds like a fun pairing.  Sort of a Jeeves and Wooster team dynamic.  Also I'd be pretty delighted if we got Tummy-Rubs Muldoon this cycle. 

Edited by phillos

While we're speculating, I think Kate Winthrop is the best Seeker fit for this campaign - especially since half of the campaign is about a sleep experiment.

I think Tommy Muldoon will also make an appearance (no real reason), and...a female survivor, to balance out the numbers? Daniella, perhaps.

Posted (edited)

It's also worth mentioning that LOTR LCG is still alive and well and while it's releases have slowed down recently they are currently sitting at 9 cycles.  We are sitting at 5 confirmed cycles with Dream Eaters announced.  If we make it to the same point that LOTR LCG is now we'll just get to the point where we potentially exhaust this list.  Given AH:TCG's popularity I have to assume we'll be just as healthy as LOTR LCG.  So I am curious if they will pad out the investigator number with new investigators or if they'll do something else for those later cycles. 

My speculation for four future cycles is a Innsmouth/R'lyeh cycle, a more global Nyarlathotep campaign, a Yuggoth themed body horror cycle, and maybe a Mountains Of Madness cycle.

For some deep speculation, If I try and match up investigators to those themes I get:

• Easiest would be Innsmouth/R'lyeh.  I'm guess Seeker: Amanda Sharpe, Rogue: Mike McGlen, Survivor: Silas Marsh, Guardian: Trish Scarborough, Mystic: ???? maybe Jacqueline Fine
  • A Mountains cycle is tougher but if it's a Miskotonic expedition I could see Mystic: Harvey as a professor, Seeker: Darrell Simmons as photographer, Rogue: Monterey Jack as archaeologist, Guardian: Vincent Lee as doctor and for Survivor: Maybe Wilson signs on as handyman.
  • For a more global Nyarlathotep campaign I could see the more pulp investigators with more worldly backstories or stories pointing to a big conspiracy like Guardian: Lily Chen, Seeker: Mandy Thompson, Mystic: Dexter Drake, Rogue: Charlie Kane, Survivor: ????
  • A Yuggoth themed campaign would certainly contain Seeker: Kate Winthrop.  I'd guess Guardian: Carson since his story has to do with dimensional tears.  Mystic: Patrice since she seems to be touching other worlds with her music.  This would be a good place for Norman since it would be more sci fi themed.  Not sure about the Rogue and Survivor slots. 

Bob is my only obvious Rogue left and his story is about finding weird coins.  I guess he could be anywhere, but also maybe he's not a Rogue. As a salesman it seems the obvious choice since he cares about money but he's also good at talking his way out of situation potentially so maybe he's some sort of Survivor. His coins are interesting and I don't think his short story definitively points to their origin.  Maybe they are Dreamland coins.  Maybe he is in the next box.  I can only hope.

From the available investigators left we saw Tommy and Agatha in the April Fool's joke, which could just be because their names fit into a dog pun, but we do have a Guardian and Seeker spot open, and I don't have them slotted for anything so maybe.  The other option I have left for Guardian is Sister Mary.  Maybe she's seeing Night-Gaunts from the Dreamland and mistaking them for demons.  I can see that.  The other Seeker choice I have is George and I don't think he fits here, but maybe the cult he's tracking down is connected to the Dreamlands in some way.  His story seems more globe spanning in my opinion though so he feels like an unlikely fit.

For survivors my remaining pool is Hank, Gloria and Daniela.  My best guesses would be Hank since he's attacked by a bird-like monster (maybe again a Night-Gaunt) or Gloria who again seems motivated by dreams so she'd be a reasonable fit.  I don't see any possible thematic connection with Daniela, but also she has no story in Investigators of Arkham.  So we don't know much about her really.

Edited by phillos

Posted (edited)

There is a difference between the LotR LCG and the Arkham LCG that LotR is a licensed product that FFG has limited access to(in terms of having to make sure everything fits into the lore of the IP) , and Arkham is their in-house project.  Creating cycles for Arkham must be easier on the business side than it would be for the LotR cycles.  So I think the free reign of Arkham LCG allows for such faster releases. 

Edited by C2K

I have heard in interviews Caleb the designer talk about needing to get things approved, making sure things aren't too close to the movies and there being certain parts of the lore they can't touch.  So it does seem like a real struggle sometimes putting out new products for that game.  Also there's a finite amount of lore to mine settings and character from and they've hit a good majority of them already with that game.  That goes a long way toward explaining why sometimes they have a slow down of releases for that game.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:34 PM, Val_Varis said:

I am quite sure it's gonna be Atlach-Nacha mainly because the cover art is Atlach-Nacha's art on Eldritch Horror. But then again... :P

I am hoping for Kate Winthrop too! :P

I expect Bokrug to maybe make an appearance too. hopefully. looking forward to this cycle

I am just excited to see a survivor ally with a natural combat bonus. It's hard to keep up with guardians when it comes to non-guardian combat, yeah? 

I think First Watch looks particularly nice, as a way to control the deck for your clue-vering accomplices.

First Watch is gonna be great on 4-player and not worth it on 2-player, it's a weird bit of design in that it scales really hard by player count. Being able to take more than one card yourself is great for the tanks (Carolyn, Zoey, Yorick), as well as for Diana so she can cancel stuff, and for anyone with flamethrower or grenades to group all the enemies together. My first thought was that it makes Scrying a lot worse, but there is some value in using Scrying to see when it would be a good idea to use First Watch (i.e. if there's multiple enemies in the top 4).

Jessica Hyde is clearly great in general, and the fight bonus is really nice. Maybe we'll see a Guardian 5/Survivor 2, or even Vincent Lee, The Doctor (assuming he mirrors Carolyn Fern). I'm amused that she's significantly less potent than Peter Sylvestre (starts with damage, only one stat boost but costs exp), which makes sense since Peter S is way undercosted. Having the both of them will make Survivors very hardy. Art is great, I love it.

I am curious about the Cursed trait -- whether we will ever see a game-mechanical use for it and what it will be. One would have supposed that Rex or Calvin were the most likely investigators to interact with it, but that didn't happen. It is a very fun piece of flavor whenever it turns up.

It is worth noting that Jessica Hyde heals one damage at the end of the turn you play her. Static combat boost are rare and, I think, quite valuable. It would be a real game changer if she were level zero and Zoey or Jenny could take her; she is generally stronger that Beat Cop (0).

16 hours ago, Allonym said:

Jessica Hyde is clearly great in general, and the fight bonus is really nice. Maybe we'll see a Guardian 5/Survivor 2, or even Vincent Lee, The Doctor (assuming he mirrors Carolyn Fern). I'm amused that she's significantly less potent than Peter Sylvestre (starts with damage, only one stat boost but costs exp), which makes sense since Peter S is way undercosted.

It's also worth noting that, as of late, FFG has generally made damage harder to heal than horror (which makes thematic sense). I believe the only damage-healing cards that don't heal horror as well are Second Wind, Emergency Aid, Strange Solution (Restorative), Medical Texts, and Painkillers. Of those, the Restorative Concoction locks you out of the extremely good other versions of the Solution, the Medical Texts are terrible, and Emergency Aid and Second Wind are both one-use events.

It makes sense that Jessica is, at first glance, weaker than Peter, because she provides both a rarer form of healing and a rarer stat boost. Of course, it also helps that Peter Sylvestre is a bit above the curve.

A word for Scroll of Prophecies too... this looks a solid 0-lvl tome, and Daisy can use it too...perhaps a rival for Old book of Lore??? Limited by charges, but 4 is decent, and it doesn't exhaust after use!

18 hours ago, Spritz Tea said:

It is worth noting that Jessica Hyde heals one damage at the end of the turn you play her. Static combat boost are rare and, I think, quite valuable. It would be a real game changer if she were level zero and Zoey or Jenny could take her; she is generally stronger that Beat Cop (0).

Which might be part reason she cost 1xp....