Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:35 PM, Soakman said:

The shortcoming of Open Gate is that you MUST have at least 2 to get any effect whatsoever out of the card. They are fast, which is great, but losing a card spot and plopping out a resource for no reason is not exactly helpful if you don't draw into your other Open Gate.

I'm betting Myriad lets you add more than 2 copies to your deck (but you're losing out on the card slots they'll be taking), and If they don't include at least 3 copies in the set, it means you'll need to proxy or buy multiple sets to have more than 2 anyway. But maybe Myriad means something else entirely (something weird, like when you play the card, you search for a card with the same name in your deck and draw it).

When FFG added the Mumbad Cycle for Netrunner, they introduced cards you could have 6 of in your deck (double the normal limit).  I'm sure that if the add some similar mechanic to the AH:LCG (be it Myriad or otherwise) they will do so providing enough copies to fully field it.

Well I'm hoping for Norman Withers as our Seeker.  I'd really like to see his normal cards (Livre d'Eibon & The Harbinger).  He has no ties that I'm aware of to the Dream-Lands, but I'd like to see him all the same.  If memory serves his book was Azathoth related, but he did have to at least cross into a new dimension.

IMG_20171209_100502563.jpg?width=736&hei

Well if I'm starting a wish-list...

• INVESTIGATOR (GUESS)
  • Norman Withers (Seeker/Mystic)
  • Tommy Muldoon (Guardian)
  • Charlie Kane (Neutral)
  • Lily Chen (Guardian/Survivor)
  • Michael McGlenn (Rogue)
  • I'd also like to see what they do with Kate Wintrop (the Scientist) & Trish Scarborough (the Spy)

Wow.  My shortlist has got a lot shorter after the release of Diana Stanley.  She's still the top of my Novella wish-list.  Mcglenn & Tommy have been added to my LCG list after playing them a lot in the AH 3e.

I'm already a tad disappointed with the investigator reveals because the ones I'm looking forward to are harder to slot in. Norman would be fun to see, but for our seeker, I would like Gloria, Darrel, Minnie, or Jacqueline. I really lean into anything but Guardian, so since we know Mystic and Rogue (spoilers) I'm not sure where my favorites would fit.

Wishful thinking follows:
Gloria Goldberg (Seeker/Rogue)
Patrice Hatheway (Survivor/Mystic)
Jacqueline Fine (Survivor/Seeker)
Darrel Simmons (Seeker/Survivor)
Danielle Reyes (Guardian/Mystic)
Minnie Klein (Seeker/Rogue)

Tommy's still a pretty good guess for Guardian given the April Fool's gag.

That would make three male characters.  Seeker and Survivor would probably be female then.

I'd rather expect to see the novella investigators show up, as Carolyn Fern and Marie Lambeau showed up in The Circle Undone. That would fill the Seeker and Survivor slots with Norman Withers and Silas Marsh, and only the Guardian slow would remain to be discovered.

I'd really like to see Bob Jenkins show up.  That guy makes me laugh.  Though Bob would almost certainly be a Rogue.  I guess I could see an argument for him being some sort of weird Survivor though there's no trait that the Rogue big money cards share and they feel like they should be in his deck.  Also Preston already is a Rogue/Survivor and Wendy is a Survivor/Rogue so those obvious slots are taken up.  I'm very curious how they construct that guy.

Posted (edited)

Bob could be a straight-up Rogue with some deck-building juju for including out-of-class assets with the Item trait. Maybe up to 7 of them? "Let me show you my wares." 

He could also be a parley machine. Maybe his Elder Sign would be +1, +5 on parley actions. I'm also imagining a signature event with a parley action for humanoid enemies.

Edited by Carthoris

Ooh, maybe he brings back the reserve from Eldritch! Give him a side deck of exactly X items (and maybe Favors and/or Allies); anyone at his location can buy one of the top three cards of that deck (ie, play it as if from their hand), and Bob gets a commission from the sale!

As a massive Guardian fan I'm really wondering what Guardian we'll see. Tommy Muldoon seems like he might be a Guardian 5/Survivor 2. But I really, really want to see Daniela Reyes, who is my favourite in Eldritch Horror - seems more likely she's a rogue or survivor but again, classes are harder to predict than you might think. Maybe Sister Mary as a survivor? It would be a bit dull to see her as a primary Mystic as well.

Bob trying to Parley with a monster is bringing me alot of joy at this moment.  I feel like either Bob or Charlie Kane should interact with that keyword in some way to make it easier or more beneficial.

40 minutes ago, Allonym said:

As a massive Guardian fan I'm really wondering what Guardian we'll see. Tommy Muldoon seems like he might be a Guardian 5/Survivor 2. But I really, really want to see Daniela Reyes, who is my favourite in Eldritch Horror - seems more likely she's a rogue or survivor but again, classes are harder to predict than you might think. Maybe Sister Mary as a survivor? It would be a bit dull to see her as a primary Mystic as well.

Daniela Reyes really should be a survivor with limited mystic access. I am not aware of anything in her story to suggest she is anything but an honest mechanic with a bit of magic taught to her by her Mother.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sindriss said:

Daniela Reyes really should be a survivor with limited mystic access. I am not aware of anything in her story to suggest she is anything but an honest mechanic with a bit of magic taught to her by her Mother.

Guardians fill protective roles. Cards like teamwork and Something Worth Fighting for indicate this. They are not all just guns and machetes. 

Danielle is constantly trying to protect her brother and also has been taught protective charms from her mother. I feel like she is more of a defensive guardian, which would actually make sense to me because we already have a 5-fight investigator confirmed.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Guardians fill protective roles. Cards like teamwork and Something Worth Fighting for indicate this. They are not all just guns and machetes. 

Danielle is constantly trying to protect her brother and also has been taught protective charms from her mother. I feel like she is more of a defensive guardian, which would actually make sense to me because we already have a 5-fight investigator confirmed.

You are probably right but cards like Stunning Blow and Not Without a Fight make me want to see her using her tools to kill things. Plus in Arkham Horror she starts with a wrench.

Edited by Sindriss

Guardian with Spirit access, maybe? The Spirit trait opens a lot of defensive options.

Perhaps Guardian 0-5, Spirit 0-2, up to 5 other Mystic cards level 0. That gives her a handful of charms for self-defense without letting her get too magic-heavy.

40 minutes ago, phillos said:

Bob trying to Parley with a monster is bringing me alot of joy at this moment.  I feel like either Bob or Charlie Kane should interact with that keyword in some way to make it easier or more beneficial.

I'm expecting Charlie Kane to have a low statline that gets better based on the number of allies at his location.  Hard to scale with multiple investigators - if he hangs out with Leo he'd be a god.  His MoM2 mechanic is "While within range or a Person, you may convert an [moderately useful symbol] to a [success].  Active this ability only once per test." with "Persons" being NPC allies.

I don't know why, but I expect him to be neutral.  If he is in fact neutral, I wouldn't expect him to be able to take anything higher than level 2, with the exception of allies.  As numerous allies offer a boost to stat lines, maybe his ability will be just to have an extra ally or 2 in play out of the gate.

Charlie Kane and Lily Chen have always come in the same set.  (AH2e's Kingsport Horror, EH's core set, ES's Omens of Ice, & MoM2's Sanctum of Twilight.)  Of course, "Ashcan" & Jenny had been in the same sets until Eldritch Horror, so who knows.

5 hours ago, Duciris said:

Well I'm hoping for Norman Withers as our Seeker.  I'd really like to see his normal cards (Livre d'Eibon & The Harbinger).  He has no ties that I'm aware of to the Dream-Lands, but I'd like to see him all the same.  If memory serves his book was Azathoth related, but he did have to at least cross into a new dimension.

IMG_20171209_100502563.jpg?width=736&hei

Well if I'm starting a wish-list...

• INVESTIGATOR (GUESS)
  • Norman Withers (Seeker/Mystic)
  • Tommy Muldoon (Guardian)
  • Charlie Kane (Neutral)
  • Lily Chen (Guardian/Survivor)
  • Michael McGlenn (Rogue)
  • I'd also like to see what they do with Kate Wintrop (the Scientist) & Trish Scarborough (the Spy)

Wow.  My shortlist has got a lot shorter after the release of Diana Stanley.  She's still the top of my Novella wish-list.  Mcglenn & Tommy have been added to my LCG list after playing them a lot in the AH 3e.

I wonder what Norman would think of my binder.

20190607_145724.jpg

1 hour ago, phillos said:

Sometime around Cycle 7 I expect we'll get some parley-intensive scenarios, with an enemy keyword like "Irritable" that is the Parley equivalent to Retaliate (Fight), Alert (Evade), and Haunted (Investigate). If your Parley fails, the enemy attacks.

I forgot what the Livre d'Eibon was about in Norman's novel, but when it shows up in lovecraft, it mainly contains a few spells. Some that cause disease, some that banish otherworldly creatures. It's originally from Hyperborea, though, and dedicated to Tsatthogua. And a copy also showed up in Dreams in the Witch House, in the hands of the Black Man, so if anything, Norman might have fit into this cycle. 

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

True enough, but we did just get a support Guardian in Carolyn.  I doubt we'll see another quite so soon.

8 minutes ago, Eldan985 said:

I forgot what the Livre d'Eibon was about in Norman's novel, but when it shows up in lovecraft, it mainly contains a few spells. Some that cause disease, some that banish otherworldly creatures. It's originally from Hyperborea, though, and dedicated to Tsatthogua. And a copy also showed up in Dreams in the Witch House, in the hands of the Black Man, so if anything, Norman might have fit into this cycle. 

I don't remember him doing anything with d'Eibon in his novella.  He finds a journal and that's his primary source of otherworldly knowledge – maybe also some notes from a fellow professor (not of Miskatonic University).  It was much more him having to Split the Angle our outlast Vengeful Hounds.

nah12_card_split-the-angle.pngnah12_card_vengeful-hound.png

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

I'm expecting Charlie Kane to have a low statline that gets better based on the number of allies at his location.  Hard to scale with multiple investigators - if he hangs out with Leo he'd be a god.  His MoM2 mechanic is "While within range or a Person, you may convert an [moderately useful symbol] to a [success].  Active this ability only once per test." with "Persons" being NPC allies.

It could also be something like "[Free] Exhaust an Ally you control: Gain +1 skill value to this test, with an additional +1 for each of that card's matching icons." That would fit in with the idea of him relying on other people without worrying about scaling with investigator count.

1 hour ago, Eldan985 said:

I forgot what the Livre d'Eibon was about in Norman's novel, but when it shows up in lovecraft, it mainly contains a few spells.

It originally showed up in Clark Ashton Smith. Eibon was a powerful Hyperborean sorcerer, and that book contained the fruits of his research. One of CAS's stories, "The Coming of the White Worm," is actually framed as a fragment of that book, transcribed from one of Eibon's necromantic interrogations. Eibon himself is one of the main characters in "The Door to Saturn," though his book doesn't make an appearance there.

As for what Norman's doing with it, well, it could tie in with the cycle he comes out in. There's the obvious Hyperborea connection, as well as Eibon's association with Tsathoggua (or "Zhothaqquah"), assuming we'll get to either of those in the near future. It could also tie into Eibon's divination theme by giving him some sort of deck manipulation to influence that top card.

Would be nice to see Norman Withers in this grouping, but I would think Silas Marsh will be in the Innsmouth cycle that has to happen at some point. 

With that:  my guesses for the last 3 investigators

Guardian:  Tommy Muldoon.  Its hard to ignore they had the card template for the April Fool's Joke. 

Seeker:  Norman Withers.  These Novella characters are already designed and have to come out at some point. 

Survivor:  Sister Mary.  Why not?  and Survivor/0-2 Mystic has yet to happen. 🤣

If there is a 6th investigator, it will be Gloria Goldberg for lore reasons or Agatha Crane,  both being Seeker.