Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

I know a high fight rogue is going to be new and interesting to build, but I cannot get over the 2 agility. It is such an important stat for most Rogue cards.  I'm guessing he'll be running double or nothings and income cards like Hot Streak and Investments to put his weapons in play.

I wonder what the deck build is like? I assume guardian stuff.

Very interesting. 

3 hours ago, Assussanni said:

For those of you interested, we can once again turn to FFG's foreign language websites to see a different selection of six cards from the upcoming cycle. For The Circle Undone they were in Spanish, this time they are French:

Hide contents

ahc37fr_m_3

That cat has me intrigued. It looks like a story/signature asset (no experience pips) but it is Survivor rather than Neutral, which I think is a first?

Let me see what I can do with my half-forgotten high school French and what I can read. The text is really small.

Treachery: Night Terrors

Revelation: put NT into play in your threat area.

After... something.... but before something else... yeah, it's too small to read.

Action: if night terrors are in your threat area, something something, test will (4).

Detached from Reality. That one we saw already.

Hope. Survivor ally, 1 resource cost, intellect and combat pips.

Something de la rive... of the river? Of the shore? doesn't look like "de la rêve", of dream.

Tony Morgan. 5 combat, like Mark Harrigan. Nice.

You may take an extra action during your turn, which you may use to engage or fight an enemy with at least one bounty on them.

Elder Sign: +2, place a bounty on Bounty*

*It's something closer to "A bounty on their heads". I assume that's his signature card.

And:

Randolph Carter. A scenario ally. Has the "dreamer" trait.

Gives +1 intellect and +1 will.

When a monster token is revealed during a test.... during your turn ... closest two cards.

[\spoiler]

3 hours ago, Soakman said:

Hide contents

I know a high fight rogue is going to be new and interesting to build, but I cannot get over the 2 agility. It is such an important stat for most Rogue cards.  I'm guessing he'll be running double or nothings and income cards like Hot Streak and Investments to put his weapons in play.

I wonder what the deck build is like? I assume guardian stuff.

Very interesting. 

He sure is going to play quite differently than other rogues.

2 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Let me see what I can do with my half-forgotten high school French and what I can read. The text is really small.

Reveal hidden contents

Treachery: Night Terrors

Revelation: put NT into play in your threat area.

After... something.... but before something else... yeah, it's too small to read.

Action: if night terrors are in your threat area, something something, test will (4).

Detached from Reality. That one we saw already.

Hope. Survivor ally, 1 resource cost, intellect and combat pips.

Something de la rive... of the river? Of the shore? doesn't look like "de la rêve", of dream.

Tony Morgan. 5 combat, like Mark Harrigan. Nice.

You may take an extra action during your turn, which you may use to engage or fight an enemy with at least one bounty on them.

Elder Sign: +2, place a bounty on Bounty*

*It's something closer to "A bounty on their heads". I assume that's his signature card.

And:

Randolph Carter. A scenario ally. Has the "dreamer" trait.

Gives +1 intellect and +1 will.

When a monster token is revealed during a test.... during your turn ... closest two cards.

[\spoiler]

Yep that's pretty much correct. The keywords of Hope are Ally, Creature, Dreamlands, just like Foolishness (Carolyn's replacement signature). And there had better be some horror healing there to let Carolyn take Hope, or I am gonna be doing nothing but survivors from now on. It seems to be a Bonded card but the other Bonded card we've seen gave you multiple cards for playing a single copy of the Bonded card, so I suspect you might have a card like Beloved of Bast that gives you several Dreamlands kitties. Either way, I absolutely cannot wait to have a cat-based investigator....

Some people also helped me with the translation some more on reddit:

Carter seems to read: IF you reveal a monster token during a test during your turn, exhaust Carter and draw two cards.

I really hope that the rogue cards that come with him, will help with Skids and his whole thing. Like the Preston cards help Jenny. Skids whole thing is that he's the most combat based Rogue released. so he's going to need some good tricks to keep him worth playing, outside of saying "hey, it's Skids"

I really hope that the new Rogue investigator has no access to guardian cards. For my taste, there are much more interesting combinations to be had and we already have a few investigators that have access to rogue and guardian cards. Having yet another investigator with this combination would be lackluster.

1 hour ago, Raahk said:

I really hope that the new Rogue investigator has no access to guardian cards. For my taste, there are much more interesting combinations to be had and we already have a few investigators that have access to rogue and guardian cards. Having yet another investigator with this combination would be lackluster.

We already have a Rogue with access to Guardian cards, so i feel the same way.  However, its very possible he will have access to Guardian weapons, because they do have the best wespons and this guy looks like he isn't afraid to pick up any type of firearm.  

14 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Hide contents

"Rive" is indeed "shore" (though it mostly applies to rivers or lakes, not seas).

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, retrodaniel said:

I really hope that the rogue cards that come with him, will help with Skids and his whole thing. Like the Preston cards help Jenny. Skids whole thing is that he's the most combat based Rogue released. so he's going to need some good tricks to keep him worth playing, outside of saying "hey, it's Skids"

I think it's a mistake to think of Skids as "the combat rogue"; he has access to Guardian 0-2 so he can take a handful of extra weapons if he likes, but Guardian 0-2 is more utility than straight-up fighting (the big guns are all higher-level), and his base 3 combat means that leaning into combat is swimming against the current; far better to make him a flexible generalist. Guardian 0-2 gets you some extra 2-damage weapon options which will probably quickly be replaced when you get some exp, and access to Bandoldier, some ammo cards, Beat Cop, Trench Knife, Vicious Blow, On the Hunt and Ace of Swords; not much else there is directly and solely beneficial to fighting enemies with your Combat stat.

Or, to put it another way, Skids' stats don't make him any better at fighting than Jenny Barnes or Finn Edwards, and both Jenny and Finn have signature weapons; you could argue that they are, as a baseline, more combat-oriented than Skids.

Tony Morgan is plainly a primary combat character with none of Skids' inherent flexibility and a clear inherent gimmick in bounty tokens so there's no danger of the two seeming too alike.

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

It's true that the deckbuilding will need to be distinct. I often think that Skids' deckbuilding and release in the core set was a mistake, perhaps a misstep due to the early stage of the design lifecycle, because he isn't well-served by trying to be a Guardian - conceptually he feels much closer to Rogue 5/Survivor 2, with his big evasion skills, flexible stat-line and ability, and the fact that he starts with an Axe in Eldritch Horror, as well as simply flavour, being an ex-con should make him very unlikely to secure police assistance, unless the Beat Cop is his parole officer or something. Being secondary Guardian, Skids also occupies a space that multiple other future rogues would need to occupy. Tony Morgan would work very well as a secondary Guardian, it would make sense for him to have police backup and a wider range of pistols available, and in Eldritch Horror he starts with Handcuffs which are a Guardian card.

I'm actually surprised to see Tony Morgan with this kind of stat-line and combat focus as well, being a Bounty Hunter I would have assumed he might have the same stat-line as Joe Diamond and a decent investigative ability, and a whopping 5 base fight (more than all but one primary Guardian so far) feels like something that might have been reserved for Michael McGlen, the Gangster. But maybe the difference will be in the abilities, since we don't yet know everything that Bounty tokens do; maybe they will be an alternative clue gathering means like Roland's...

Edited by Allonym

My guess at the Rogue's mechanic

His signature will let you add a resource to it as an action.  As a free, exhaust action, you can put one of the resources on an enemy at your location as a bounty.  When you defeat an enemy, all bounties on it go to your resource pool.

It fits thematically and makes him another Rogue with unique money-making abilities.

2 hours ago, Khudzlin said:

"Rive" is indeed "shore" (though it mostly applies to rivers or lakes, not seas).

It's "Rêve" not "Rive", the whole things is "Contrées des rêves" which is translation for "Dreamlands"

I had an idea on how the Myriad keyword might work: Since this campaign appears to be 2 in one (one taking place in the dream world and one in the waking world) there might be some sort of epic play mode with 2 groups playing in parallel. To cite a sentence from the news article "your team of investigators will have to split up, and as you divide you will soon find that yours is but one of myriad realities". This leads me to think that the card with the myriad keyword might be able to establish a link between the dreamlands and the waking world. Maybe Open Gate will allow investigators to move freely between both scenarios? What do you think?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Raahk said:

I had an idea on how the Myriad keyword might work: Since this campaign appears to be 2 in one (one taking place in the dream world and one in the waking world) there might be some sort of epic play mode with 2 groups playing in parallel. To cite a sentence from the news article "your team of investigators will have to split up, and as you divide you will soon find that yours is but one of myriad realities". This leads me to think that the card with the myriad keyword might be able to establish a link between the dreamlands and the waking world. Maybe Open Gate will allow investigators to move freely between both scenarios? What do you think?

That's a really cool idea, but I think it is unlikely only because it will limit the usefulness of the card to one cycle.

It also would introduce other wonky issues. For example, what would the player count be for each game? Does it change? If you leave the Dreamlands, do your dreaming friends suddenly need less clues to advance the Act? And do locations suddenly have less clues on them when they are revealed? 

It could have some really problematic functions, so I doubt this would work this way. 

My guess is that you just draw a card with the same name from your deck after you play it OR you can play the card from your discard pile (possibly removing it from the game afterwards or shuffling it back into your deck a la winging it and impromptu weapon).

Edited by Soakman

It's already established that "per investigator" counts the investigators who start the scenario (in the context of a player resigning or being defeated). The real issue would be how to handle an extra player coming after a scenario started.

21 minutes ago, Soakman said:

My guess is that you just draw a card with the same name from your deck after you play it

Pretty much the only thing that keeps Open Gate from being a total gamebreaker is that you need to draw two copies of it (and even that can be worked around by having two Mystics in your party or playing Daisy). Having it tutor the second copy automatically would be a little much.

As for what Myriad actually does... Perhaps you can only include one copy of the card, but it bonds to itself and lets you draw the bonded copy after playing the normal one? That would make it pseudo-exceptional, which would make it more reasonable.

4 hours ago, CSerpent said:

My guess at the Rogue's mechanic

Reveal hidden contents

His signature will let you add a resource to it as an action.  As a free, exhaust action, you can put one of the resources on an enemy at your location as a bounty.  When you defeat an enemy, all bounties on it go to your resource pool.

It fits thematically and makes him another Rogue with unique money-making abilities.

That's basically just spending an action now to get at least one action later (and, since you know that second action will be mid-combat, it's probably more valuable). That's a bit of a no-brainer.

My first guess is that you'll have to place the bounties as a reaction to an enemy entering play. That's both thematic (because the bounty was on that enemy's head before it showed up) and good for mechanics (because, depending on where the enemy spawns, you might have to commit to fighting it before you actually know how convenient that'll be).

My second guess is that it'll take more than just one action to get more bounties. Maybe you'll have to spend an action and discard a card. Maybe it'll just say "uses (X bounties)" with no way to recharge beyond that elder sign. The point is that you'll have to budget your bounties, rather than basically having a built-in Leo de Luca.

I like those ideas.  Another thought I had was that defeating a bountied enemy might get him X resources, where X is its health or fight.  As a rogue, I just feel like it's got to be resource related.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:27 PM, retrodaniel said:

I actually don't look at Skids as the combat rogue.  I think Jenny does combat better than Skids.  However, Skids can be built to have long, productive turns with more actions than the normal investigator has. 

Posted (edited)

Well, it's numbers time. Bold = confirmed in English. Italics = hypothesised based on other cards. And, in doing this, there's something odd going on with the numbers! Enough space for a sixth investigator, ish, or triple sig for guardian/seeker/rogue, but not enough space for 4 player cards per faction... unless they are ordered strangely...

1 Guardian investigator
2 Seeker investigator
3 [rogue investigator in French above]
4 Luke Robinson
5 Survivor investigator

6 guardian sig 1
7 guardian sig 2
8 seeker sig 1
9 seeker sig 2
10 rogue sig 1
11 rogue sig 2
12 rogue sig 3? [NB guardian or seeker could have 3 sigs, or we could have a sixth investigator... but numbers below make that unlikely]
13 Gate Box
14 Detached from Reality
15 Dream-Gate

16 survivor sig 1
17 survivor sig 2

18 guardian 1
19 guardian 2
20 guardian 3
21 guardian 4 xp
22 seeker 1
23 seeker 2
24 seeker 3
25 seeker 4 xp
26 rogue 1
27 rogue 2
28 rogue 3 [NB something weird with numbering here - not enough slots for 4 cards per faction]
29 Open Gate
30 mystic 2
31 mystic 3 
32 mystic 4 xp
33 survivor 1
34 survivor 2
35 survivor 3
36 survivor 4 xp
37 basic weakness??
38 basic weakness??

39 scenario card for scenario 1
40 agenda 1 Journal through the gates

I've cracked it! If Open Gate's myriad keyword = 4 copies, maybe there are only 3 mystic cards! 

Edited by zooeyglass

We also know there are 56 player cards. 

5 x investigator and 12 x signature = 17 cards

That leaves 39 cards. Card numbers 18 - 38 = 21 cards. If Open Gate accounts for 4 cards (taking a punt on Myriad, here!), we have 20 cards and 35 slots. Still not enough slots for 2x for the rest. What if there's a Myriad Rogue/Seeker/Guardian card? 19 for 31, then. Or what if every faction has a Myriad card? It all gets a bit funny...

The most easiest solution then is that the Myriad keyword circumvents the "max-2-of-the-same-kind-per-investigator-deck" restriction, meaning you are allowed to take all 4 copies into your deck!

This does sound quite reasonable to me. This would lead to even harder deckbuilding decisions, though 😁

Posted (edited)

IGNORE ALL OF THIS! French FFG confirms only 5 investigators!

....Ok, carrying on this madness, I have a second hypothesis: the SIX INVESTIGATOR hypothesis. In this theory of card numbers we know: a) Luke Robinson and his sigs, b) Open Gate, c) that there are 56 player cards. This means: 6 x investigator + 13 x sig = 19 cards. That leaves 37 cards for slots 20-38 (18 slots). Gambling on myriad meaning 3x card rather than 4x or something else! So cards 20-34 are the 35 player cards. 19 + 35 = 54, and we are left with two cards (two basic weaknesses?) and cards #37-38 as weirdos....

1 Guardian investigator
2 Seeker investigator
3 [rogue investigator in French above]
4 Luke Robinson
5 Survivor investigator
6 sixth investigator

7 guardian sig 1
8 guardian sig 2
9 seeker sig 1
10 seeker sig 2
11 rogue sig 1
12 rogue sig 2
13 Gate Box
14 Detached from Reality
15 Dream-Gate

16 survivor sig 1
17 survivor sig 2
18 sixth gator sig 1
19 sixth gator sig 2

20 guardian 1 (myriad so 3x)
21 guardian 2
22 guardian 3 
23 seeker 1 (myriad so 3x)
24 seeker 2
25 seeker 3
26 rogue 1 (myriad so 3x)
27 rogue 2
28 rogue 3
29 Open Gate (myriad so 3x)
30 mystic 2
31 mystic 3 
32 survivor 1 (myriad so 3x)
33 survivor 2
34 survivor 3
35 basic weakness??
36 basic weakness??
37 weirdo
38 weirdo

39 scenario card for scenario 1
40 agenda 1 Journal through the gates

Edited by zooeyglass
hypothesis destroyed

Bad news Zoey, i think you forgot that there is at least one bonded card for rogues. Two most likely assuming Crystallizer of dreams is a two-of. Which would mean that this already accounts for 4 cards. This makes the prediciton even more difficult

1 minute ago, Raahk said:

Bad news Zoey, i think you forgot that there is at least one bonded card for rogues. Two most likely assuming Crystallizer of dreams is a two-of. Which would mean that this already accounts for 4 cards. This makes the prediciton even more difficult

Yeah, bonded and myriad really mess with the numbers!