Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

18 minutes ago, Allonym said:

No, if the test automatically succeeds, the difficulty is reduced to zero. Your test result will be calculated as normal (for Three Aces, since you do not draw a chaos token at all, this means you compare your skill value against a difficulty of 0). Also bear in mind that each of the Three Aces has a wild icon so you're looking at a minimum of +3 on top of your base skill.

The card text has been uploaded to ArkhamDB here. Pictures of the cards (including the art) was also posted on Reddit.

One of those things I've been playing wrong for a long time ūüôā¬† Not too much grants automatic success though so at least it hasn't impacted much.

And thanks for the link - I was hunting Reddit but couldn't find it for some reason.

20 hours ago, Allonym said:

It's nice to see Abigail Foreman make it into the LCG - she appears in the Dream Gate (the Silas Marsh novella), where she was a particularly likeable character, as well as in the King in Yellow expansion to Arkham Horror 2e. Bit of a shame she is not useable by, and has zero synergy with, Silas Marsh, but it's pretty inevitable.

I feel the same way. I am big Silas fan and would have liked to recreate the partnership of the novella. 

Thanks for the card reviews!

Hi gang, having finally gotten round to setting up OCTGN, I've managed to get some more Arkham played, and I can confirm (aside from that Meat Cleaver Carolyn with Foolishness is totally legit and great fun) a few more suppositions concerning new cards.

Mind's Eye is indeed fantastic on Patrice, took it as my first upgrade alongside Cornered and haven't regretted it at all. It synergises very well with the Improvised events, Patrice can easily keep it topped up by drawing additional copies, and it affords her huge flexibility. Definitely a core upgrade if not going down a shrivelling route. Shame it doesn't work together with Brute Force/Expeditious Retreat/Sharp Vision. I also ended up with a deck that had absolutely no action triggered abilities on cards, so Bedeviled did nothing at all to me - a niche benefit but an amusing one all the same.

Summoned Hound is indeed pretty terrible. I used it for 2 scenarios in arguably the most ideal deck for it - Carolyn Fern with static boosts to both Combat and Intellect, no use for her Arcane slot, only 2 other allies so no slot pressure with a second copy of Charisma, a need for additional health, Alyssa Graham to check for the weakness on top of the deck, and Dark Pact as a basic weakness to kill it off when it becomes a liability. In the first scenario, it was in my opening hand alongside Alyssa Graham, and I got a lot of free investigation before finally hitting Unbound Beast and losing a turn cleavering it to death. In the second scenario, I didn't draw either copy until my deck had 10 cards left, at which point it was too much of a liability to even consider playing. And then I got rid of it, replacing it with a different card and accepting the 5 exp spent on the two copies plus Charisma as a sunk cost. The upside of playing the Summoned Hound simply doesn't make up for the costs and risks. Kind of fun though.

If I don't have second core box and I play the 2 4-scenario campaign together solo 2handed, then I have to build the decks again at the begining of the scenarios over and over again? (because I don't have cards for 4 investigator decks) 

1 hour ago, Dandy06 said:

If I don't have second core box and I play the 2 4-scenario campaign together solo 2handed, then I have to build the decks again at the begining of the scenarios over and over again? (because I don't have cards for 4 investigator decks) 

If you are playing the ‚ÄúA‚ÄĚ and ‚ÄúB‚ÄĚ campaigns¬†linked together then you have to play both first scenarios before you can move onto the second. This means you will need to rebuild decks¬†when you switch which pair of investigators you are using.

To minimise the amount of rebuilding, playing the scenarios in the order: 1A -> 1B -> 2B -> 2A -> 3A -> 3B -> 4B -> 4A (or the inverse) means you will need to swap cards around four times throughout the campaign.

Got absolutely wrecked on the stairs last night in A Thousand Shapes of Horror.

Both Rita & Tommy had Deceptive Memories.  Rita made it to the bottom stair,#186 with 3 rounds three rounds (of doom) left.  She hadn't had cards in hand (aside from a Self-Centered) for a while because she could only draw monsters or Indescribable Apparitions, Night Terrors, & Glowing Eyes.  Both investigators had given up at least a full turn's worth of actions and so had given up on getting rid of Deceptive Memories.

In 3 rounds, we removed 1 resource.  Rita even spent her first turn drawing cards to throw at it.  Unreal.

06186.jpg06193.jpg06035.jpg06191.jpg06098.jpg06192.jpg

I decided to allow myself 1 extra round, which is when the 2 Endless Descent showed up.

06190.jpg

[/spoiler/]

Posted (edited)

I played Norman through the "A" side of the campaign and boy he was awesome. Only complaint is when I swapped out Delve Too Deep/Ward for some upgraded Mystic slots and excitedly bought 3x Open Gate to replace them, I found that almost every map we did was pretty useless for Open Gate.

I'm trying to remember the maps on the "B" side (up until 3-B anyway) and think they're a little better but not by much.

Here's a link to the 0-level deck and "next deck" links for the rest of the campaign if anyone's interested. https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/658539

Edited by Krysmopompas

1 hour ago, Krysmopompas said:

I played Norman through the "A" side of the campaign and boy he was awesome. Only complaint is when I swapped out Delve Too Deep/Ward for some upgraded Mystic slots and excitedly bought 3x Open Gate to replace them, I found that almost every map we did was pretty useless for Open Gate.

I'm trying to remember the maps on the "B" side (up until 3-B anyway) and think they're a little better but not by much.

Here's a link to the 0-level deck and "next deck" links for the rest of the campaign if anyone's interested. https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/658539

I very highly recommend Open Gate for B.  I put it to good use in all four scenarios.

2 hours ago, CSerpent said:

I very highly recommend Open Gate for B.  I put it to good use in all four scenarios.

Yeah I played Tony Morgan in B, who's frickin' hilarious as a Rogue-Survivor. So no Open Gate for him, but thinking back yeah 1B to 3B had possibilities! The "A" series on the other hand...I used it once in the campaign and it saved me one action. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Duciris said:

Got absolutely wrecked on the stairs last night in A Thousand Shapes of Horror.

Reveal hidden contents

Both Rita & Tommy had Deceptive Memories.  Rita made it to the bottom stair,#186 with 3 rounds three rounds (of doom) left.  She hadn't had cards in hand (aside from a Self-Centered) for a while because she could only draw monsters or Indescribable Apparitions, Night Terrors, & Glowing Eyes.  Both investigators had given up at least a full turn's worth of actions and so had given up on getting rid of Deceptive Memories.

In 3 rounds, we removed 1 resource.  Rita even spent her first turn drawing cards to throw at it.  Unreal.

06186.jpg06193.jpg06035.jpg06191.jpg06098.jpg06192.jpg

I decided to allow myself 1 extra round, which is when the 2 Endless Descent showed up.

06190.jpg

[/spoiler/]

Wow! That is harsh.
This would be one of the moments that I’d figure, since we are entering another dimension of time and space anyway, then who is to say that replaying the scenario, isn’t actually playing it for the first time (inter-dimensionally speaking)...

Edited by Mimi61

8 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Wow! That is harsh.
This would be one of the moments that I’d figure, since we are entering another dimension of time and space anyway, then who is to say that replaying the scenario, isn’t actually playing it for the first time (inter-dimensionally speaking)...

That's what I'm going to do.  I had to replay the last scenario in TFA a couple weeks ago.

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 7:00 AM, Duciris said:

That's what I'm going to do.  I had to replay the last scenario in TFA a couple weeks ago.

I like your style. Do or Die. Or Die and Do over!

Edited by Mimi61

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, Mimi61 said:

I like your style. Do or Die. Or Die and Do over!

I love coming up with thematic reasons why I continue past something awful.

<Blob Spoilers>
I played The Blob inserted into The Forgotten Age after Calvin died... And I used it as a flashback to when Mateo (the new investigator) and Ursula had met.  However we ended up losing the scenario... Which then caused us to lose the campaign... So instead we said that The Blob ate our memory of that scenario... But losing the memory was so horrible that we took 1 trauma and lost 3 xp... (our actual outcome from the scenario minus the losing the whole campaign.)  And since it was already just a memory we justified it that way.

</Blob Spoilers>

Mateo: "Hey Ursula remember when we met?"
Ursula cringes and shakes involuntarily at the utter horror of the absent memory
Ursula: "No, do you?"
Mateo: "I don't either, but I have this scar and a limp that has to have come from somewhere."
Ursula: "Odd."
Mateo: "Perhaps it is better that we don't speak about it."
Ursula: "That's probably for the best."

Or perhaps if you replay a scenario... Suddenly you're back before the scenario... "Yup. That doesn't sound like a terrible plan.  Let's do it differently."

Edited by Antimarkovnikov

My justification for playing over: it's the multiverse!

[Announcer voice] In tonights run through of <Fill in scenario name> we have <Incarnation N+1> of <Investigator's names>.  Tonight they will be trying a variation of what <Incarnation N> tried, hoping to get a better outcome.  Let's see how that works out for them ....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Antimarkovnikov said:

I love coming up with thematic reasons why I continue past something awful.

<Blob Spoilers>
I played The Blob inserted into The Forgotten Age after Calvin died... And I used it as a flashback to when Mateo (the new investigator) and Ursula had met.  However we ended up losing the scenario... Which then caused us to lose the campaign... So instead we said that The Blob ate our memory of that scenario... But losing the memory was so horrible that we took 1 trauma and lost 3 xp... (our actual outcome from the scenario minus the losing the whole campaign.)  And since it was already just a memory we justified it that way.

</Blob Spoilers>

Mateo: "Hey Ursula remember when we met?"
Ursula cringes and shakes involuntarily at the utter horror of the absent memory
Ursula: "No, do you?"
Mateo: "I don't either, but I have this scar and a limp that has to have come from somewhere."
Ursula: "Odd."
Mateo: "Perhaps it is better that we don't speak about it."
Ursula: "That's probably for the best."

Or perhaps if you replay a scenario... Suddenly you're back before the scenario... "Yup. That doesn't sound like a terrible plan.  Let's do it differently."

ūü§£ I love that! And what a great way to use the existing story lines and demerits to work it all out.¬†

We like to carry over stuff like that too.¬†Like Norman Withers who (spoiler for TCU) ended up piping for eternity. Different investigators¬†found him later¬†in Arkham Asylum, playing the air pipes! Or create a story arc for an ally that showed up at an opportune time. For example, this¬†week we¬†started¬†our Dream Eaters Campaign,¬†(we have faith¬†that Weaver will get here soonūü§ěūüŹĽ) by playing Guardians of the Abyss with all four investigators as a prelude.¬†¬†It‚Äôs¬†so thematic and gives the whole group a¬†way to¬†start things off¬†together.¬†Anyway,¬†Zoey was in the Cairo bazaar¬†in¬†a bit of a pinch with an enemy, when¬†out of nowhere this skinny stray dog, (Guard Dog) shows up to rescue her.¬†Now he¬†follows her everywhere. He protects her from weird monsters and she protects him from becoming someone‚Äôs dinner.
She’s totally taking him back to Arkham. 

Edited by Mimi61

13 minutes ago, ricedwlit said:

My justification for playing over: it's the multiverse!

[Announcer voice] In tonights run through of <Fill in scenario name> we have <Incarnation N+1> of <Investigator's names>.  Tonight they will be trying a variation of what <Incarnation N> tried, hoping to get a better outcome.  Let's see how that works out for them ....

¬†ūüėā¬†The announcer voice... I‚Äôm dying.¬†