Jump to content
Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, awp832 said:

Daredevil is an odd one.   I made a  Tony Morgan deck the other day before this came out.   So real quick I went back through it once I saw this to see how many rogue skill cards my past self thought were worth including, and the answer was...  0.   So that's not a great start.   Possibly could be a way get double-or-nothing (we are using Taboo, hence no DoN in my initial Tony deck).   Handy.   Worth 2 xp and a card slot?  tough to say...

I was thinking you could have DoN and Daredevil as the only Rogue skills in your deck (Double Daredevil!).  Play it when you would want to use DoN, and you get an additional +1 to that test -- +2 if you hit the other Daredevil first!

That's a lot of XP for a couple of double resolutions, but it's a fun idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, awp832 said:

^ Don't think it's probably Wini.   Just guessing,  but the box art shows a young lady who looks cool and collected.   Wini seems like she'd be a bit more of a firebrand.

Probably so.

Maybe Wini is short for Winthrop!  That kooky plane-flying scientist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Daredevil is probably best if you only have one other Rogue skill in deck, so you basically buy "extra copies" of that skill with an added +1.

Obviously, All In is an amazing card so searching that out would be great, but could also be great for Quick Thinking. Or simply for deck-thinning - since one copy can locate a second copy.

I am gonna try out A Glimmer of Hope on Patrice, I think it could be good for when you need to pass a big test, or fuel for when you have 2x Cornered in play. Or a counter to Drawing The Sign/Amnesia. Or to attenuate the problem of her signature weakness reducing her draw. She has a huge deck anyway, her starting deck has a lot of space for a more marginal emergency effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're building around it, Daredevil an dDouble or Nothing and no othe rskill might also not be bad.

 

Other suggestions for Glimmer of Hope on other pages are as recycle-able discard for Duke or Wendy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaaaand she is.  The cover art for Point of No Return is an ally in the new AH3.0 expansion (Dead of Night).

Delilah O'Rourke.  Ally - Syndicate Assassin.  3 stamina, 2 Sanity.  "After you do damage to a monster as part of of an action, you may deal one additional damage to a monster in your space."

for reference, in AH3.0:

Leo De Luca.  Ally - The Luisiana Lion.  3 stamina, 2 sanity.  Once per round, as an additional action during your turn, you may perform an action that you have already performed this round."

Lita Chantler.  Ally - Zealot.  3 stamina, 3 sanity.  After you or another investigator deals damage to a monster in your space, Lita Chantler deals one damage to that monster."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hum ... Ghast, gug and ghouls are coming for us !!! and for those who love release date, spanish and french together annoucement "The Search for Kadath" for November the 15th . I think we can told two things : or the release date is just on change, anf from now packs will be released more in the middle than the end of the month, and annoucements will be at the end. Or ... two packs a month ? For those who play just a mini-campaign can still play it the same month whatever it is ? Hope it is ;) 

Edited by phorcys12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

Finally! A Mystics version of Deduction. The Search for Kadath is on! 
 

I kinda felt like that’s what drawn to the flame was for but I won’t complain, haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dysartes said:

Huh?

In the Search for Kadath.  “Read the Signs” Mystic spell event. It’s not a skill like Deduction, but has has the extra clue element. 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

In the Search for Kadath.  “Read the Signs” Mystic spell event. It’s not a skill like Deduction, but has has the extra clue element. 

Ah - have I missed a preview somewhere? I didn't think the pack was on sale until Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one of the cards that was given to one of the podcasts to reveal. Man of Leng, I think. They've been doing that pretty consistently since about Carcosa: the largest few fan podcasts get occasional spoiler cards to reveal in their shows. You can usually find them on Reddit and Boardgamegeek, too.

Edited by Eldan985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dysartes said:

Ah - have I missed a preview somewhere? I didn't think the pack was on sale until Friday.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to spoil any cards. I think I must get my stuff from Asmodee a few days before it releases. My Search for Kadath was delivered to my house on Tuesday the 12.  

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm disappointed with the line-up of player cards.  There are only 17, but what gets me is the Seeker selection: 3 cards, one of which is bonded to the other 2.  All three are simply there to set up a Strange Solution/No Stone Unturned earned card(s) latter in the cycle.  Survivor only has 1 pair of cards.  With only 1 or 2 exceptions, it's just level 0 cards.  The first card, a Guardian, is pretty great though.  ...  Actually, both Guardian cards are pretty great.

Edited by Duciris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I'm disappointed with the line-up of player cards.  There are only 17, but what gets me is the Seeker selection: 3 cards, one of which is bonded to the other 2.  All three are simply there to set up a Strange Solution/No Stone Unturned earned card(s) latter in the cycle.  Survivor only has 1 pair of cards.  With only 1 or 2 exceptions, it's just level 0 cards.  The first card, a Guardian, is pretty great though.  ...  Actually, both Guardian cards are pretty great.

I definitely do agree that one of the issues with the Bonded keyword is that it means overall fewer discrete player cards in a given pack (assuming that you count a "host" card and its Bonded cards as a single card, since what really matters is how many new cards to add to decks there are). Rogues and Seekers seem to be the losers in this pack, but whatever, it's not like Seeker or Rogue need the help. The Guardian cards are really cool.

But as for there only being 2 cards above level 0, both of which are level 1, that's just the way things are with the first pack released in a cycle. Miskatonic Museum released with 6 higher-level cards, but 5 of them were level 1. Echoes of the Past released with 5 cards above level 0, but they were the 5 Composure cards, all of which are level 1 and all of which are essentially the same idea for different classes. Threads of Fate had 3 higher-level cards, 2 of which were level 1. The Secret Name had just one higher-level card, the level 1 Banish (and it's forgettable at best), since it was the pack with the multi-class level 0 cards.

It is sad to see that this pack has significantly fewer player cards than seen in packs from previous cycles, though, and it's not alone in that - even being generous and accounting for the effects of Bonded and Myriad, the Dream Eaters deluxe had 35 physical player cards that were not basic weaknesses, investigator, signature cards or story assets - including the bonded cards and including the three copies of Bloodlust and the two copies of Guardian of the Crystalliser. TCU, TFA and Dunwich had 42 (2x4 per class, 2x1 neutral), and Carcosa had 40 (no Neutral card, but then there were 6 investigators and both Sefina and Lola had several copies of their signature cards). I hope this trend does not continue, as otherwise Dream Eaters will essentially be less value for money in terms of player cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. I was disappointed in the seeker selection as well. The only saving grace is, at least the bonded cards are the equivalent of 2 more unexpected courages in your deck while we wait for the upgrades. Guardians got very cool cards. We are playing through RtPoC right now and I am ready to pay my husband who is playing Zoey to please take first watch. We have had countless Mythos phases lately where all we wish we could just swap encounter cards. It’s almost like we are cursed or something....🤔.   I will say the Jessica Hyde/ Peter Sylvester power couple is making Survivors a pretty attractive bunch! 

Is this player card thing a normal pattern with other LGC’s from FFG? Do the developers figure that we have so many cards to choose from, that we don’t need more? Or is it a strategy to get new players to buy previous releases? AHCG is our first LCG with FFG (how acronyms can you cram in one sentence) and we are obviously hooked.
 

3 hours ago, Allonym said:

It is sad to see that this pack has significantly fewer player cards than seen in packs from previous cycles, though, and it's not alone in that - even being generous and accounting for the effects of Bonded and Myriad, the Dream Eaters deluxe had 35 physical player cards that were not basic weaknesses, investigator, signature cards or story assets - including the bonded cards and including the three copies of Bloodlust and the two copies of Guardian of the Crystalliser. TCU, TFA and Dunwich had 42 (2x4 per class, 2x1 neutral), and Carcosa had 40 (no Neutral card, but then there were 6 investigators and both Sefina and Lola had several copies of their signature cards). I hope this trend does not continue, as otherwise Dream Eaters will essentially be less value for money in terms of player cards.

 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

The only saving grace is, at least the bonded cards are the equivalent of 2 more unexpected courages in your deck while we wait for the upgrades.

Pretty sure it's actually an unlimited number of Unexpected Courages. After you commit it, it goes back to your bonded area, where you can use the Journal to pull it right back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, rsdockery said:

Pretty sure it's actually an unlimited number of Unexpected Courages. After you commit it, it goes back to your bonded area, where you can use the Journal to pull it right back.

And that is the saving grace of running it without its upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Duciris said:

And that is the saving grace of running it without its upgrade.

 

1 hour ago, rsdockery said:
1 hour ago, Mimi61 said:

 

Pretty sure it's actually an unlimited number of Unexpected Courages. After you commit it, it goes back to your bonded area, where you can use the Journal to pull it right back

You are totally right. I wasn’t looking at the card when I wrote that and had forgotten that after its used, it becomes available again indefinitely.

 

Edited by Mimi61

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...