Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

9 hours ago, Mimi61 said:

I also thought it would’ve been nice to get even 2 extra cards of her secondary for every 10 over 30. 

I think that would be too much, since you're already drastically increasing your odds of finding her revelation-card with increased deck size.

So I've played Mandy now and Tony. 

I built a Guardian Tony deck centered around maximizing his gun's and bounties and it felt real strong.  Dream Eater's swarm enemies gives him plenty of targets.  I'm definitely recommending Prepare For The Worst, Contraband and Sleight Of Hand to anyone going this route.  Those three cards make him a gunslinger superstar at level 0.  Also he easily could afford Intel Report fully which gave him some ridiculous utility.

Mandy was also really good, but any investigator with 5 starting Int is gonna be amazing.  Eureka was fantastic and I did use Old Book Of Lore several times to great effect.  Her hand was always full.  Astounding Revelation also triggered a few times which is great so she was plenty rich.  It was actions I sometimes struggled with since triggering Old Book Of Lore wasn't as easy as it is with Daisy's free action sometimes.  I also had Research Librarian and No Stone Unturned in the deck and knowing her weakness was in there did make me gun shy about using larger searches.  In retrospect I should have just pulled the trigger on it and got it over with early in the campaign when it would hurt me less.

Edited by phillos

Tony Morgan definitely feels really fresh and interesting. I like that there's a genuinely effective primary monster-hunter with a truly unique playstyle who doesn't follow the familiar Guardian mould. The closest we've come previously have been Yorick and maybe Roland Banks, but even they more or less feel like "a guardian, but...", whereas Tony can't use any Guardian weapons, unless you count the .45 Thompson.

It'll be interesting to see whether he gets some more support this cycle in the form of new Rogue weapons, since there's only a handful of (viable) Rogue weapons out there and even those are situational or a bit gimmicky with the exception of Switchblade (2).

Really, Tony Morgan has completely dampened my enthusiasm for Tommy Muldoon. I was originally quite excited to play Tommy, but I found him frustrating and a bit too similar to other Guardians. Now I feel like he's going to be the Marie Lambeau of the pack (not a bad investigator by any means, but overshadowed by the other investigator in the pack who fills the same role in a fresh new way).

I actually put Switchblade level 0 in my level 0 deck and it came out in one scenario and saved me.  It being fast and Tony being such high strength makes it a fairly viable backup weapon for him.  Also with Leo and a bounty on an enemy Tony has some ridiculously long turns.  So if he needs to he can  whittle stuff down with Switchblades or Knuckledusters and feel reasonable paced.  I didn't try the .45 Thompson since I was trying for solo and wanted a free hand for a Flashlight that could be Sleight Of Handed.  I'm sure he can afford to play the Thompson.  It's probably a real effective level 0 weapon for him.  I just purchased a couple copies of Lupara for him.  We'll see how they work as a backup weapon for his pistols.

I agree that it's nice to see that monster killer archetype in a different way similar to how Yorick plays very differently.  I feel really rewarded for sticking to 1-handed firearms in Tony, which is how I prefer to roll anyway.  I've not tried Tommy yet since it feels like he'd much rather be in a higher player count game (I've only done solo and two players since the release), but I wonder how different he feels from a Zoey or Mark deck.

Edited by phillos

23 hours ago, phillos said:

I actually put Switchblade level 0 in my level 0 deck and it came out in one scenario and saved me.  It being fast and Tony being such high strength makes it a fairly viable backup weapon for him.  Also with Leo and a bounty on an enemy Tony has some ridiculously long turns.  So if he needs to he can  whittle stuff down with Switchblades or Knuckledusters and feel reasonable paced.  I didn't try the .45 Thompson since I was trying for solo and wanted a free hand for a Flashlight that could be Sleight Of Handed.  I'm sure he can afford to play the Thompson.  It's probably a real effective level 0 weapon for him.  I just purchased a couple copies of Lupara for him.  We'll see how they work as a backup weapon for his pistols.

I agree that it's nice to see that monster killer archetype in a different way similar to how Yorick plays very differently.  I feel really rewarded for sticking to 1-handed firearms in Tony, which is how I prefer to roll anyway.  I've not tried Tommy yet since it feels like he'd much rather be in a higher player count game (I've only done solo and two players since the release), but I wonder how different he feels from a Zoey or Mark deck.

Yeah I did a Tony deck for a duo with Agnes for Return to Dunwich, and Tony was hilarious. Had Dario, Well Connected, the level 0 .45 Thompson, his pistols and switchblade, and was running Prepared for the Worst, Contraband, If it Bleeds and On The Hunt (both great cards for him). I had so many resources in such short order that the Agnes player was complaining about it.

no more artprints at the preco as it seems ... I am not in USA, so not a huge problem for me but I was loving to see the spoiled artworks on them in the articles ;)

53 minutes ago, phorcys12 said:

no more artprints at the preco as it seems ... I am not in USA, so not a huge problem for me but I was loving to see the spoiled artworks on them in the articles ;)

Man, the art on the Act cards is amazing.  I'd love a full sized print of it.  The characters in the foreground (which look amazing) are the least interesting piece to me.  I love the hanging Earth and the flying ship obscuring it!

ahc41_cardfan_1.png

16 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Man, the art on the Act cards is amazing.  I'd love a full sized print of it.  The characters in the foreground (which look amazing) are the least interesting piece to me.  I love the hanging Earth and the flying ship obscuring it!

ahc41_cardfan_1.png

Agreed. That needs to be a play mat. 

2 minutes ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Why not all three?  One doesn't preclude the others.

I hope so. I just feel Byakhee are overused, especially with so many other critters we have never seen.

An Alarm level that represents how aware enemies are of your presence? Enemies have a set level where they engage and attack the investigators with that level or higher but leave the other investigators alone? 

Mmmm, that's a great idea!

But sadly it's only in one scenario.

I wonder if there's another game based on an extremely influential 20th century work that has that idea as a core game mechanic...

8 hours ago, Villefere said:

Pourquoi Byakhee lié à la lune et non pas Shantaks ou Chats de Saturne?

Honestly I would love to see them ... but now, we know we have in the pack one byakhee, and the cover-art is showing us one more I think ( could be a shantak, but not enough massiv or horse-head for that ). We know we are on the moon, so at least 2 moon-beast is a good bet ... and they mention leng-man, so probably a new one in this pack. We are already at five ennemy ... the maximum for this time is 6 in the third mythos pack of the previous cycle. moreover, this cycle is full of very differents places, and with the division in two campaign, I think the mythos pack fo this cycle will count more ennemy in each mythos pack than in the previous cycle. Hoping for at least a Shantak, the saturn-cats are not a lot used in previous FFG game, that make them less relevant. Because when FFG have already arts, they love to use it. This is the reason for the byakhee being here. An art with a byakhee and a moon is our database? let's put it in. Another point, return can give surprise about it. When they cannot put everything they want in a scenario, they keep it for the Return-to version. As for the smoke beast in train, and probably the flying polyps in FA. 

cross your fingers ;) 

On 10/9/2019 at 10:38 AM, phorcys12 said:

I am SO disappointed if this means we aren't getting art prints anymore! Having them be exclusive to direct pre-orders was crappy, but not having them *at all* is even more crappy... :unsure:

Daredevil works well with Mandy.  Doubly if she has no other Rogue Skills in her deck.

I hate giving up an action, but A Glimmer of Hope is pretty impressive.  Especially in a Mihn deck, especially if she has Higher Education.

So with Glimmer you pay an action to pull 1 to 3 wild icons from your discard into your hand?  It's Blessed to Mateo can take it, but does he have any good way to blow through his deck fast to make this a worthy inclusion? It makes sense for Patrice (who will fill her discard quickly) and maybe Minh who gets more utility out of that wild icon.

3 minutes ago, Carthoris said:

Nice "box" art for this pack. Who's the character shown? I don't think I recognize an investigator or named ally.

Incognito Mandy?

Or maybe that's Wini?

Glimmer of Hope might be handy in a Wendy deck, since she can discard any card from hand to redraw a token.   For other survivors, it pairs well with Cornered or Grisly Totem.   It's definitely a card that only really makes sense as a combo piece.

Daredevil is an odd one.   I made a  Tony Morgan deck the other day before this came out.   So real quick I went back through it once I saw this to see how many rogue skill cards my past self thought were worth including, and the answer was...  0.   So that's not a great start.   Possibly could be a way get double-or-nothing (we are using Taboo, hence no DoN in my initial Tony deck).   Handy.   Worth 2 xp and a card slot?  tough to say...   Love the art on this one though.

Edited by awp832

^ Don't think it's probably Wini.   Just guessing,  but the box art shows a young lady who looks cool and collected.   Wini seems like she'd be a bit more of a firebrand.