Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

You know, between Versatile, Mandy's deck size, and the large amount of Bonded cards we've seen, this cycle could have a bit of a deck-thickening theme to it. That makes it fairly likely that Myriad is something like "You must always include exactly three of this card when you add it to your deck, but all three cards count as one for deckbuilding and experience purposes." The slight extra thickening would somewhat offset Open Gate's power level.

(Though I'm still holding out hope for something absurd like "Each Myriad card is limited to one per deck and bonded to two other copies of itself. When you play it, draw one bonded copy and shuffle the other into your deck.")

5 hours ago, Soakman said:

Where are these ones?

27 Stargazing [bonded]
28 The Stars Are Right 

EDIT: Found it! It's on Twitch via Mythosbusters. Great cards! 

Very cool cards! An interesting way to shake up the encounter phase. Great for solo play. 

I’ve got to wonder, how nasty are these encounter decks going to be??? 

Ethereal Form is good against boss enemies with forced-ready-this-card effects -- I am glad the ethereal state doesn't have a "non-elite" restriction.

There may be a Sephina succeed-by-two deck with Ethereal Form and the upcoming level 1 Suggestion. This raises a rules question: if Watch This is committed to the evade test on one of the aforementioned cards, does it grant a +2 boost (one each from the Agility icon and the Will icon)? I think the answer is no based on the wording of the Skill Test Timing rules, but it doesn't seem clear cut.

Anyway, specific use cases aside, I still think it's easily the best of the mystic evade events. 

Versatile lets me fulfill my dream of playing Ursula and slamming down Think on Your Feet or, even better, Elusive (!); even though that is a terrible use of experience. I agree with the idea expressed upthread that Versatile is a low-power card with a really cool design. Even in decks with a lot of draw, where its downsides matter least, I doubt it will ever be optimal.

"Let God sort them out" also strikes me as low-power with cool design. It does nothing to help you win the scenario you bring it to, but god d*mn will it feel good to play. And some players value experience ramp more that I do.

The Hungering Blade makes me want to try to combine it with Mr "Rook" who could drastically ameliorate its deck thickening downside (and soak two horror). Currently Roland, Zoey, Joe, Carolyn and Lola can run that combination of cards (without wasting experience on Versatile). It is certainly better for some of those investigators that others (though I wouldn't count Lola out completely), but what a thematically perfect card it is for Zoey.

I just want to play Let God Sort them out in a Zoey deck. For the name. Even if it takes some of those VERY valuable off-class slots.

Hm. I wonder if I can make a valuable Zoey solo deck for The Circle Undone where she just goes around killing everyone of all the factions, because they are all heretics. 2 Let God Sort them Out, two Sixth Sense to investigate, maybe  St. Hubert's Key or a Holy Rosary for a will boost... then save up for the Flamethrower. 

Edited by Eldan985

8 hours ago, Spritz Tea said:

Ethereal Form is good against boss enemies with forced-ready-this-card effects -- I am glad the ethereal state doesn't have a "non-elite" restriction.

There may be a Sephina succeed-by-two deck with Ethereal Form and the upcoming level 1 Suggestion. This raises a rules question: if Watch This is committed to the evade test on one of the aforementioned cards, does it grant a +2 boost (one each from the Agility icon and the Will icon)? I think the answer is no based on the wording of the Skill Test Timing rules, but it doesn't seem clear cut.

Anyway, specific use cases aside, I still think it's easily the best of the mystic evade events. 

Short answer, you only count the icon(s) relevant to the actual test, so Watch This would give you +1, not +2. Longer answer, "Add your [willpower] value to your skill value for this test" doesn't mean that Willpower is the skill being tested - it's just a bonus, and is treated the same as if it instead said "You get +3 skill value for this test". When committing a card, you don't increase your skills by the icons on the card; you instead get a bonus to the test equal to the number of "appropriate skill icons", so the number of icons matching the actual skill being tested (in this case, Agility) plus wild icons.

This is important for Circle tests in TCU - these tests require you to test "Willpower+Agility" or something, and in those cases both of the relevant skills count as appropriate icons, and Wild icons are only counted once.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that other bonuses affect the test differently depending on their wording. Something like High Roller or Narrow Escape which reads "You get +2 to your skill value for this test", this would give you a total of +2 for an Ethereal Form test (or a Circle test). However, something like Key of Ys, Ace of Rods or "Let Me Handle This!" which instead reads "You get +2 to each of your skills for this test" would be counted twice since this explicitly increases each skill seperately.

And yes, it's definitely the best Mystic evade event (probably the only genuinely good one - Blinding Light is at best "OK", Bind Monster is bad and Banish is terrible).

Ethereal Form is gonna be extremely useful in alot of scenarios.  Especially in TFA, but also in TCU and Carcosa I had plenty of scenarios where I just needed to break through a location with a couple enemies on it or one real big enemy on it and if I wasn't playing someone like Finn, Wendy or Rita it was a huge problem.  Banish and Bind Monster's abilities (while potentially powerful) are useless in these scenarios usually because of the non-elite clause.

Edited by phillos

Ethereal form's ethereal ability is going to be great in scenarios where you have to resign at the end. It's more multipurpose and cheaper (and less risky) than an Astral Travel, so depending on how far you need to go, I have had to Evade, Move, Move (while being pinned down by enemies) pretty often as a mystic. Prior to this card, I was relying on Mists of R'yleh to move me to a connecting location for action efficiency, and potentially having to use another charge to move from there.

Overall, expending 2 charges of mist WILL get you further away, but a single event will get you nearly as far and you'll still have those charges for later if you are packing both Mist and Ethereal Form.

It'll be very handy on a mystic who would rather use those arcane slots for things other than evasion without expending the massive resources a Sign Magick would require.

Edited by Soakman

41 minutes ago, Soakman said:

Ethereal form's ethereal ability is going to be great in scenarios where you have to resign at the end. It's more multipurpose and cheaper (and less risky) than an Astral Travel, so depending on how far you need to go, I have had to Evade, Move, Move (while being pinned down by enemies) pretty often as a mystic. Prior to this card, I was relying on Mists of R'yleh to move me to a connecting location for action efficiency, and potentially having to use another charge to move from there.

Overall, expending 2 charges of mist WILL get you further away, but a single event will get you nearly as far and you'll still have those charges for later if you are packing both Mist and Ethereal Form.

It'll be very handy on a mystic who would rather use those arcane slots for things other than evasion without expending the massive resources a Sign Magick would require.

Astral Travel usually does the job in the resign scenario except for when you are already engaged with enemies.  Ethereal Form is much nicer in a wider variety of scenarios and therefore it is easier to slot into a deck (especially considering it's cheaper and less risky).  Also thematically it's pretty awesome.  Mists is also good for this, but Mists does require setup and a spell slot.  I can still see a world where I include Mists over this if I'm evading as a main function of the deck.  I can also see a world where Astral Travel is a better include considering it is testless. Bind and Banish remain tough includes though.  I only would consider Blinding Light now in Agnes where that ping damage will matter and her high Will stacks the odds in your favor.

Mists is better because it has charges, which means it can be used more than once.  Ethereal Form is a strong one shot though.  I don't think its comparable to Astral Travel, because Astral Travel can put you in any revealed location, where as Ethereal Form could require multiple actions for the same effect. 

I agree Blinding Light is still going to be used in Agnes, and will add Banish is something special in Jim Culver. 

Updating the numbers: 

1 Tommy Muldoon
2 Mandy Thompson
3 Tony Morgan
4 Luke Robinson
5 Patrice Hathaway = 5 investigators

Player cards (should be 51): 

6 Becky
7 Rookie Mistake
8 Occult Evidence x 3
9 Shocking Discovery
10 Bounty Contracts
11 Tony's .38 Long Colt x 2
12 Tony's Quarry
13 Gate Box
14 Detached from Reality
15 Dream-Gate
16 Patrice's Violin
17 Watcher from Another Dimension = 15

18 The Hungering Blade x 1 [bonded]
19 Bloodlust x 3
20 Solemn Vow [myriad x 3] (= 7 guardian cards)
21 Segment of Onyx [myriad x 3| bonded]
22 Pendant of the Queen (Of Nothing at All)
23 seeker 3 {second myriad seeker? to make up 7?}
24 Crystallizer of Dreams [bonded] ?
25 Guardian of the Crystallizer ?
26 rogue 3 {myriad rogue?}
27 Stargazing [bonded]
28 The Stars Are Right 
29 Open Gate x 3 [myriad] ( = 7 mystic cards)
30 Miss Doyle [bonded]
31 Hope
32 Zeal 
33 Augur (4 or 8 survivor cards
34 ??? {myriad survivor? to make up 7?}
35 ??? 
36 ???  
37 ??? 
38 ??? 

56 player cards + 5 investigator cards. Current count: 5 investigator cards, 15 sigs, leaving 41 player cards for #18 - #38. 26 or 30 cards accounted for by #18-#22, #24-#25, #27-33. Leaves some oddities

If each faction receives 7 player cards, #18-#34 = 35, meaning #35-#38 are 2 x 2x, and 2 x 1x. 

39 scenario card for scenario 1
40 agenda 1 Journal through the gates

•  

card #34 and #35 appear to be basic weaknesses for multiplayer only. The spoilers are on boardgamegeek for those who are interested. It is quite hard to make out the numbers but i assume them to be 34 and 35

If my maths is correct then, given Patrice's deck size and assuming 3 copies of a myriad level 0 survivor card, if there are no Neutral cards in The Dream-Eaters she will have to take all 10 Core Set skills. This would leave Tommy and Mandy's FFG starter decklists with only two skills each, which would be a new low. Therefore, I reckon there will be at least one pair of Neutral cards in the Dream-Eaters.

Edit: by looking at investigator pairings, I think we can also conclude that Luke Robinson will have at least some access to Seeker cards. Was this already announced? I'm starting to lose track...

Investigator pairings I think have to be: Patrice/Mandy (Rogue secondary); Tommy/Mandy (Rogue secondary); Patrice/Tony (Guardian secondary); Luke/Tony (Guardian secondary) and Tommy/Luke.

Edited by Assussanni

3 hours ago, Assussanni said:

If my maths is correct then, given Patrice's deck size and assuming 3 copies of a myriad level 0 survivor card, if there are no Neutral cards in The Dream-Eaters she will have to take all 10 Core Set skills. This would leave Tommy and Mandy's FFG starter decklists with only two skills each, which would be a new low. Therefore, I reckon there will be at least one pair of Neutral cards in the Dream-Eaters.

Edit: by looking at investigator pairings, I think we can also conclude that Luke Robinson will have at least some access to Seeker cards. Was this already announced? I'm starting to lose track...

Investigator pairings I think have to be: Patrice/Mandy (Rogue secondary); Tommy/Mandy (Rogue secondary); Patrice/Tony (Guardian secondary); Luke/Tony (Guardian secondary) and Tommy/Luke.

The back of Luke’s card hasn’t been released so far as I know. But with so much flexibility across the board, who knows? 

The back of Tommy’s card is out. He is a Survivor!