Sign in to follow this  
Duciris

Cycle V: The Dream-Eaters

Wow. Luke looks incredibly fun to play as, and they nailed his theme as Portal hopper. 

I'm curious about the two campaigns of 4 scenarios. I wonder if people will be okay with having to have 2 separate investigators built. I'm also curious if they're going to release all of the 'dreamers' scenarios before the non-dreamers, or if they're going to alternate. This means that if you are only playing one path, you may have to wait twice as long for a scenario. Or you're going to have to take apart and rebuild your decks between each scenario if you don't have a large collection or if you are playing the same type of investigator.

22 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I'm curious about the two campaigns of 4 scenarios. I wonder if people will be okay with having to have 2 separate investigators built. 

It makes that second core less optional for two players, and might tempt a regular table of three or four players to get a third.

Every time, every bloody time they put out some new information for the Arkham LCG I find myself astounded at just how wide they can make their design space. Luke gets his own private locations to play with! His signature weakness isn't particularly bad and could even save your bacon (you could counter it easily with Astral Travel or ignore the horror with Deny Existence) but by the same token if poorly timed could leave you lost in time and space right when your team needs you the most.

Also: Looking at those "art prints", the bottom left looks very much like Tony Morgan, The Bounty Hunter - revolver, red tie, long coat, nice hat - so that could be our Guardian or Rogue (I think primary seeker is unlikely given that we just had a fighty Seeker)...

Posted (edited)

I'm also wondering if we're going to get more than the standard investigators to choose from.

Probably not, because you have to have at least a core which has a set. But having two unique groups of investigators undergoing the events from different perspectives is a really cool idea, but would require twice as many investigators as usual.

Luke looks AMAZING! While he's at his own private location, he can Banish, Bind, Blinding Light, Counterspell, Drawn to the Flame, Hypnotic Gaze, Mind Wipe, Storm of Spirits, or Time Warp at any location (once per turn).  That is some POTENT spell casting. Imagine warping away from a room of enemies to your own dimension, picking up two of the clues that Rita just uncovered across the board, and the teleporting to a third location where you can rite of seek 2-3 more.

Edited by Soakman

Posted (edited)

I would guess that they're going to alternate 5/6 investigators per expansion, with Dunwich having 5, Carcosa 6, Forgotten Age 5, Circle Undone 6. Especially since the number of existing investigators (from the other games) not yet released is not divisible by 5.

I'm actually a little surprised to see Luke Robinson as a mystic - not because it doesn't make sense, but because there's so many as-yet unreleased investigators who also seem very mystic-y. My money would have been on 5/2 Survivor/Mystic. But then, ever since Carolyn Fern, I've learned not to try too hard to predict which class people will fall in to - there's that super broad design space again!

1 minute ago, tehcip said:

Do you think the prints will be available through other stores?

The shipping for the FFG website is murder.

I hope so, since I do not intend to pre-order from America! Unless I save up and then combine it with getting all the LOTR Nightmare packs...**** it FFG...

Edited by Allonym

Dreamlands! Dreamlands with spiders on the cover art!  I feel like Matt was reading my wishlist.  I so hope this means Atlach-Nacha confirmed.  That would be my favorite pick for Dreamland deity.  Also we get Luke who is the obvious fit for this box.  I'm am super happy right now. 

Just now, phillos said:

Dreamlands! Dreamlands with spiders on the cover art!  I feel like Matt was reading my wishlist.  I so hope this means Atlach-Nacha confirmed.  That would be my favorite pick for Dreamland deity.  Also we get Luke who is the obvious fit for this box.  I'm am super happy right now. 

I am really hoping for Atlach-Nacha, as an arachnophile and someone who's run a number of spider-y Cthulhu RPG scenarios. Given the sort of bifurcated nature of the cycle, we may well see two different "ancient ones" involved, perhaps Atlach-Nacha and Hypnos.

Posted (edited)

It will be a great cycle to run Guardians of the Abyss as a side-scenario on the 'waking' investigator's side. I wonder how the experience will work. Will we be seeing like 10 xp per scenario on average since there will only be 3 opportunities to spend xp per group?

Edited by Soakman

16 minutes ago, CSerpent said:

That guy unmasking makes me think Nyarly is involved, too.

Edit to add: the name of the png for that image gives a clue (could be considered a spoiler to some, so hover or click here for the image link)

I really hope FFG does a proper Masks of Nyarly campaign for this LCG. The expansion for Eldritch Horror was an almost total missed opportunity - too chunky and superfluous. 

That certainly does seem to strongly imply Nyarlathotep; by the same token, the current cycle has some Nyarlathotep in it, too - with the link to Keziah Mason, and the name of the penultimate scenario in the cycle.

Nyarlathotep serves a very different function in the Dreamlands than elsewhere - in the Dreamlands he's more of a neutral deity, instead of an evil being bent on destroying humanity as he is elsewhere. So there's nothing necessarily implying that his appearance in the Dreamlands cycle isn't a sort of side-hustle, and he won't appear elsewhere as a major antagonist.

From The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, HPL: "Send back earth's gods to their haunts on unknown Kadath, and pray to all space that you may never meet me in my thousand other forms. Farewell, Randolph Carter, and beware; for I am Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos."

2 minutes ago, phillos said:

So can someone else Elusive or Astral Travel into his Dream-Gate?  Also the spoiled Open Gate?  Sounds like it.

No-one else can enter the Dream-Gate, it has that "other investigators and enemies cannot enter" clause, which also means that enemies cannot spawn there (so if he's there in the Mythos phase and draws an enemy without spawn instructions, it should be discarded entirely). However, Luke can use Astral Travel (and Elusive, if he has access) to leave the Dream Gate, which is one way to counter his signature weakness.

I would be worried too if they try to do Nyarly here, even if the mention of Ygiroth is referring to one of his avatars. 

If we have two campaign, I would see Atlach in one, Hypnos for the second. But I am a little worried with this idea of 2 campaigns. Specially in the case of the dreamlands. This is a place so wide and big, we can explore a lot of places, inhabitants and idea here. So why limit his exploration to only an half of the cycle ?? I hope the group that start in the waking world will join the others in another part of the dreamlands, like the underworld, or somethinig like that. Half Arkham in a dreamland cycle, after a full arkham-cycle is a waste to me. 

2 minutes ago, Allonym said:

No-one else can enter the Dream-Gate, it has that "other investigators and enemies cannot enter" clause, which also means that enemies cannot spawn there (so if he's there in the Mythos phase and draws an enemy without spawn instructions, it should be discarded entirely). However, Luke can use Astral Travel (and Elusive, if he has access) to leave the Dream Gate, which is one way to counter his signature weakness.

I don't think he can be there during mythos because it goes away at the end of the investigator phase. It DOES however make Drawn to the Flame an exceptionally good choice to use there.

Posted (edited)

I missed the clause on the card.  That makes sense now.  It definitely felt potentially broken without that clause.

Nyarlathotep is the crawling chaos and he is everywhere in many incarnation.  If they do him here it looks like it's the incarnation we see in Dream Quest (the priest).  I would think him being here wouldn't preclude him having his own cycle potentially in the future.  Actually I almost would rather Nyarlathotep be a reoccurring character across cycles.  I think he is the one that makes that work the best given his nature.

Edited by phillos

Posted (edited)

I'm also very interested in the "Myriad" keyword on the Open Gate card.

Cool to see a Rogue 'bonded' card too.

Edited by Soakman

1 minute ago, Soakman said:

I don't think he can be there during mythos because it goes away at the end of the investigator phase. It DOES however make Drawn to the Flame an exceptionally good choice to use there.

I'm cross-posting this from my reply on the Reddit thread, so apologies for the redundancy if you happen to peruse that forum as well:

You can activate the Gate Box even outside of the Investigator phase, since it's a Free triggered ability that doesn't have an "only during your turn" or similar restriction. Since enemies cannot enter the Dream Gate and spawning at a location is entering that location, I believe that any enemy Luke draws while in his private demiplane will simply fail to spawn and be discarded if it does not have spawn instructions. As such, there a variety of times to use the Gate Box, each with their own implications:

1: At the start of the investigator phase/the end of the Mythos phase, to teleport away from danger and/or set up in safety, or simply to let you be at another location more efficiently. You drew nasty enemies or otherwise found yourself in a bad place, or you simply want to start your turn in safety or able to reach anywhere on the board. You can do setup if you need to (e.g. play Shrivelling without taking AoO) and then either move back into the fray ready for action, or move wherever you need to in order to do your job.
2: During your own turn; you perform an action or two in one place, e.g. Sixth Sense to pick up the last clue at a location, Shrivelling to kill an enemy, then you teleport to the Dream-Gate and either move on to another location and perform another action, or end your turn there so that you get to teleport wherever you want, for free.
3: During another player's turn; this is primarily going to be useful if you've been ambushed by enemies, your Guardian wasn't already at your location, but another vulnerable investigator (e.g. the seeker) was. The Guardian moves to your location and then you trigger the Gate Box and teleport away, disengaging from the enemies engaged with you and letting them engage with the Guardian automatically, saving them the actions to engage with them manually and/or avoiding the risk of them missing the enemies and hitting you. In this scenario, if you had used Gate Box before the Guardian had moved to your location, the enemies would have engaged the Seeker and there would still be a problem.
4: After the Investigation phase but before the mythos phase; the optimal time for this would be after Hunter enemies move but before enemies attack in the Enemy phase - this means that you could have a Hunter enemy move to Luke if he's in a location by himself (instead of going after another investigator), and then Luke can leave and the enemy's attack is cancelled and its Hunter keyword is wasted. There may be niche reasons to choose another timing window, if you want an enemy to attack so you can use Hypnotic Gaze to redirect its attack against itself or whatever, but either way, if you enter the Dream-Gate before the Mythos phase you can cause any Enemy that you draw to be discarded entirely - this makes Scrying a better card because if you find an Enemy you can rearrange matters such that Luke draws it, then have Luke teleport to his sanctum and effectively cancel a card.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, tehcip said:

Do you think the prints will be available through other stores?

The shipping for the FFG website is murder.

Preorders within the continental United States will also receive free shipping!

54 minutes ago, phillos said:

Yup that's him/her/it

Edited by Sindriss