Sign in to follow this  
Allonym

UK Games Expo reflections

Hi all,

I'd like to say a big "thank you" to Frank and Peter of the Drawn to the Flame podcast for organising some truly outstanding events at the UK Games Expo this weekend. Additionally, I'd like to say another big "thank you" to everyone from the Arkham Horror community who attended, whether on this forum or not, for being such friendly, welcoming and all-round cool people. This weekend was the first time either I or my housemate attended the UKGE and the whole experience blew us away - both the overall huge halls of nerds showing, doing and selling all manner of nerdy things, and more specifically the little corner of Arkham carved out in the sprawling FFG domain. I was genuinely astounded to find that the Night's Usurper events also came with playmats and other rewards, as the games themselves were already worth the price of admission. Despite some confusion regarding the sign-up forms, Frank and Peter endeavoured to make sure that the two of us had groups to play with, and we had two truly fantastic adventures in Egypt. I'm a little wary of playing Arkham LCG with strangers, as I feel like people can have very different approaches to the game, but we came out of both games completely beaming in joy, having played with funny, capable and friendly groupmates. And of course the fact that we dominated the scenarios helped - turns out that the best cure to a plague of endless sleep is superior firepower (and dynamite). Beyond that, it was a pleasure to chat to people and put a couple of usernames to faces. I didn't attend Sunday's Depths of Yoth event, and I kind of regret it already - if there are more events at next year's UKGE – or elsewhere – I will be there, Mythos permitting.

I'm still feeling a bit worn out even after 12 hours of sleep, so I'll simply close by saying this: Thanks again, all of you.

Dai

I’m very happy to hear it was a good time. I couldn’t make it this year but hope to be there next year if there are events on.

I’ve been to a couple of other Drawn to the Flame events and everyone who I have met there has, without exception, been lovely - both to play with and to chat to afterwards.

@Allonym it was such a pleasure to meet you, and really glad you enjoyed it. It's still a pretty new arena for us, we're still learning and trying to get the most out of organised Arkham Horror (whatever that is!) so really great to read feedback like this and see you had a positive experience! Thank you, too, for being there and being up for it!