Storgar

Is this the end of some of our favourite things???

Third party templates and tokens seem like they're okay as long as they don't use brand logos or artwork. So Curled Paw templates are probably fine. However, if your Etsy shop starts offering a template-and-tray set with a copyrighted image overlaid on it, don't be surprised when the lawyers show up.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

I mean, this

seems mostly like some "plausible deniability" stuff.  Like, they don't want to have to go into legal stuff against anyone.

The whole strikes me as a thing where, unless something actually happens, it's not worth doing anything more than keeping an eye on it.

Exactly exactly this.

They're legally required to protect their IP. FFG has a track record of playing nicely though.

This document is literally giving us the best advice it can to help us do user-generated, fan-based content without infringing and making sure we can be as free as legally possible to continue doing so.

I'm pretty sure they want these fan-based things to continue, they just have to be careful and let us know how to be careful because it's a legal grey area and Disney is known not to play nice.

If their purpose was to shut things like alt-arts and fan-made scenarios down, they wouldn't be telling us exactly how to do it without running into legal issues.

This potentially affects a lot of things,  depending on how much they enforce it.  What could happen:

- all 3rd party list building apps and websites shut down.

- all 3rd party token and template makers shut down. 

- all podcasts are not allowed to give alt art cards, tokens, templates, etc. as Patreon support.

Posted (edited)

Launch Bay Next dev already mentioned on the Mynock page he will not be investing anymore time at this moment. 

I'm not really a content creator, sure I've made some alt art and distributed/sold it but I'm not a PLR or All-Wings for example. I don't have a podcast or anything like that. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

First, this is standard corporate covering your own butt. These days you need to do everything you can to CYA in the corporate world. There is so much CYA stuff I do every day in my automotive job it's nuts. Really trivial stuff, like getting a customer to sign estimated pickup time. So this had to be written to cover their butt if they ever needed too.

Second, this will affect TTS and Vassal more than anything else. They are essentially providing free versions of their games. I'm not personally a user (I find both interfaces clunky and not as enjoyable as hanging around the table with my buds). To me those are direct breaches of the IP and something I'm not surprised has been axed by Disney/FFG/Asmodee already.

Third, I think FFG Dev's know how big of an impact something like the Gold Squadron Podcast stream has on the community. That channel gets a ton of hits every tournament, people all over the world tune in to see what's going on. It may even encourage many to get out to the LFGS and do the dance to get to tournaments. It is advertising! If alt-arts/swag through Patreon gets banned how many supporters will pull their funding? Dion gets the money he needs to travel, keep his rig updated and insured, etc. If he takes a big enough hit we may go back to having no GSP Stream.... sad days.

Finally, if they shut down the squad builders they better turn around and make theirs usable. 

Edited by Wiredin

38 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

Second, this will affect TTS and Vassal more than anything else. They are essentially providing free versions of their games. I'm not personally a user (I find both interfaces clunky and not as enjoyable as hanging around the table with my buds). To me those are direct breaches of the IP and something I'm not surprised has been axed by Disney/FFG/Asmodee already.

The risk there is that the programs do a lot to help maintain enthusiasm for the game, especially the Organized Play scene. I know my enthusiasm for the game has been boosted a lot by being able to jump on the computer and get some games to test out some new builds. I bought into Separatists specifically because I saw a build I wanted to try, had a blast using it online, and wanted to bring it to the FLGS. If they kill those online communities, I can easily see it suppressing their real-world sales.

4 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

The risk there is that the programs do a lot to help maintain enthusiasm for the game, especially the Organized Play scene. I know my enthusiasm for the game has been boosted a lot by being able to jump on the computer and get some games to test out some new builds. I bought into Separatists specifically because I saw a build I wanted to try, had a blast using it online, and wanted to bring it to the FLGS. If they kill those online communities, I can easily see it suppressing their real-world sales.

depends on how many players are in that boat. I know of one person in my local community that we consider a "regular" or "core" member that does use those apps regularly... out of 20ish regular players. We are a small market region. and two others who touch it a couple times a year. It's awesome that it motivates you and keeps your hype up. I don't deny that it's a great tool, but how many people use the system? I know when I was trying to get into TTS I would see 10 people at a time. 

7 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Templates and tokens won't be a problem as long as they don't call them X-wing Miniatures Templates.
Most of them are already called Starship Combat Rulers or something like that.

Squadbuilders, that is something totally different. However:

Star Wars is not Asmodee's, so I am not sure this document concerns X-wing players much.

Well it seems like Asmodee is under some pressure to curb the unlicensed use of 3rd party brands such as but not limited to $tar War$. Keep in mind FFG is sold, it is now a developer company with some publishing functions but it is Asmodee that is the holding company that gets the revenue and holds the budget.

So what could be affected, pretty much anything and everything from YouTube videos to 3rd party tokens. What it is going to affect, right now the only thing is the wait and see approach. I doubt Asmodee is going to go to Vassal and slap them with a multi-billion dollar lawsuit like what Nintendo did to Roms.

5 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Didn't this pop up originally last summer? Star Wars isn't an Asmodee/FFG ip... This is more focused their in house games that they don't have to liscense... I.E. Keyforge.

Their IP is the game, tokens, and templates.   That means list builder apps, custom cards, and 3rd party templates.

I’m gonna keep going with my projects (http://xhud.sirjorj.com/).  If they ask me to stop, I will stop.  I would also save money, as I won’t have to buy the unchanged rereleased ships (no need to confirm contents for the ‘releases’ info) and honestly, my overall interest in the game would probably decrease significantly.

Posted (edited)

It falls under the "cutting off your nose to spite your face" catagory. Enforcing it strictly would be a death knell to the game. Because it would cover even such. Things as fan fiction, fan art, social online forums... the list is virtually endless and would cost Disney itself money in the long run. Not that it would kill star wars from them, but it might be enough to get FF''s permission yanked. I say that because strictly speaking the characters and ships are used in their games so folks writing about, sculpting, making artwork  ect would be using items that are in their games. It's all a matter of how strict they want to try to be. Reasonable would be OK. Unreasonable le, would be cutting themselves.

Edited by EVIL INC