Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
987654321

Every important factor in the upcoming mess

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Vulcan646 said:

Oh boy. I'm going to need some popcorn while I watch this mess go down. 

It's nice to see the results of the player story choice leading to devastating consequences for the Crane.

Yeah because nothing bad is coming for the Scorpion anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Yeah because nothing bad is coming for the Scorpion anytime soon.

That may very well be true but it's hearsay until we get confirmation, from the story team, of what the Scorpion's actions will do to the clan. 

For now, I'm excited for the Crane civil war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, the reasoning provided by Tyler was for accessibility and flexibility...accessibility because by putting it online everyone can access it without having to buy the pack first, and flexibility so they could tell the story at a pace suited to the story itself rather than a forced month-to-month release tied to the packs. 

IMHO given that the community ensures all new pack fictions are scanned and online within 24 hours of pack availability, and so far we're still waiting on a new story since The Last Stone Played...unless they hurry up and decide to release the stories on say, a weekly or biweekly basis starting in the next 2-3 weeks, both reasons are kinda weak and unsupported. The only actual change to be observed thus far is that not putting fiction in the packs means half as many stories as before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These aren't weak and unsupported reasons, these are business minded reasons, and wathever community does is a bit irrelevant here from a business point of view. 

As a business, the fact that they don't want to gate the story content behind a paying product is actually good. 

As a business, the fact that fans scan and upload the stories has no weight in the balance because it's a community thing, not something officially endorsed by FFG.

It's actually ok they tolerated it so far, but that's still illegal diffusion of a content people got access to by paying. So instead of preventing people to upload scans of their paying content, they just go full web. 

I am happy FFG kept the tradition of L5R stories, but we aren't owed them or are entitled to them. It's a welcome extra, and it breathes life in the setting, but what I pay FFG for when buying a pack is the cards in the pack. 

If they feel it will make them more in control of their story to not be bound by scheduled fictions that are supposed to drop in specific months because of a strict schedule due to printing and production , it's their call. It will indeed make their storytelling more flexible. Specially now we are back in the 6 in 6 months. 

 Once again it's business oriented, not community expectations oriented. 

 

 

Edited by Nitenman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as I said, it's my opinion. The real business decision here, as I can see, is to save money by paying for less fiction to be written...the reasons given come across as the positive PR spin on that decision.

 I don't have any nostalgic ties to old5r to be "happy they decided to continue a tradition", and some of us at least look forward to having the extra fiction in the card pack. It's not a make or break point as far as whether I'll continue supporting the game, but it does raise an eyebrow for me on how committed they are to supporting the game beyond churning out cards packs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

The real business decision here, as I can see, is to save money by paying for less fiction to be written...

I would happily write L5R fictions for totally free. Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 987654321 said:

Wait. Does that mean the fictions will only be once a month?

If so,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fictions are...whenever FFG decides to release one. Officially, one of the reasons they gave for removing fiction from the packs would be to set their own pace for the story rather than being fixed to monthly stories. So far, we've had the first of six announced Inheritance Cycle fictions, The Last Stone Played, which was released beginning of April. There hasn't been any news on when we can expect the next story at this point, or how quickly they will be released. Since the entire set of six stories only covers a 24-hour period in the timeline, they could release them at any pace they like. Then sometime next year (hopefully very early in the year) the next story arc will begin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

Fictions are...whenever FFG decides to release one. Officially, one of the reasons they gave for removing fiction from the packs would be to set their own pace for the story rather than being fixed to monthly stories. So far, we've had the first of six announced Inheritance Cycle fictions, The Last Stone Played, which was released beginning of April. There hasn't been any news on when we can expect the next story at this point, or how quickly they will be released. Since the entire set of six stories only covers a 24-hour period in the timeline, they could release them at any pace they like. Then sometime next year (hopefully very early in the year) the next story arc will begin. 

They are usually released on wednesdays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:36 AM, KakitaKaori said:

In the twitch stream yesterday, Tyler said none of the packs come with fiction. They have gone to web only.

As someone who reads the novellas, and has DrivethruRPG on continuous refresh for new L5R RPG products, but doesn't play the LCG, I can only approve.

(I'm hoping we'll get something similar to Kyotei Castle for Gencon 2019)

And whilst I'm not sure I'm up for paying for the fictions individually given they're rarely half a dozen pages, short compilations (equivalents to The First Scroll) is something I'd be prepared to buy as an Ebook.  

 

Also:

l5c21_preorder-promo_cardfan.png

I remember thinking at the time that the background to the Justice for Satsume promo art looked suspiciously like the two were charging towards one another.

It's a bugger if Agasha Sumiko's (and Doji Satsume's*) do-what-is-best-for-the-empire-yes-it-was-totally-natural-causes-now-stop-asking is going to do far more damage long term than a full account of the truth would have done.

 

* Yes, he's involved in the investigation of his own unexpected death. Long story.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Also:

l5c21_preorder-promo_cardfan.png

I remember thinking at the time that the background to the Justice for Satsume promo art looked suspiciously like the two were charging towards one another.

It's a bugger if Agasha Sumiko's (and Doji Satsume's*) do-what-is-best-for-the-empire-yes-it-was-totally-natural-causes-now-stop-asking is going to do far more damage long term than a full account of the truth would have done.

 

* Yes, he's involved in the investigation of his own unexpected death. Long story.

From what I've heard about their flavour text, and a couple of others elsewhere, it appears that Kuwanan is right for the wrong reason, and Hotaru is wrong for through no fault of her own.  in fact, just like everything else that Hotaru is wrong about, it's probably her dad's fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Also.....yeah. That artwork and text isn't ominous at all.

l5c24_bayushi-shoju.png

Bayushi Shoju is just so done with all this silliness.

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

Kuwanan with that hair looks like Hoturi. I find this detail eerie :ph34r:.

Possible False Kuwanan in the future? Don't let Kachiko near anything egg-shaped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mangod said:

Bayushi Shoju is just so done with all this silliness.

This.

There are two reasons he could be sat there - assuming that court protocol says a Regent sits on the throne when delivering 'in character' decisions. Which feels unlikely but isn't impossible. Still, the prince almost everyone in the Empire assumes is be becoming Emperor shouldn't need a Regent because he's an adult.

Reason number two is far, far worse.

8 hours ago, AtoMaki said:

Kuwanan with that hair looks like Hoturi. I find this detail eerie :ph34r:.

Rather appropriate, though.

8 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

From what I've heard about their flavour text, and a couple of others elsewhere, it appears that Kuwanan is right for the wrong reason, and Hotaru is wrong for through no fault of her own.  in fact, just like everything else that Hotaru is wrong about, it's probably her dad's fault.

Pretty much. Satsume's death is totally not natural causes*, Kunawan's just wrong about who's covering it up and why. And Hotaru is correct that (for once!) it's not the Scorpion Clan wot dun it, she's just wrong that that means there isn't justice to be had.

And yes, Doji Satsume is in part at fault. His overriding concern was covering up.....stuff**: “Ensure that the matter of my death is resolved in a way that brings no shame upon or retribution against my family”

*

Technically it was a Dragon wot dun it; Kitsuki Tomo. He did it - for those interested - because he was a borderline Perfect Land Sect turned fanatical Kolat member. The event which pushed him over the edge?

latest?cb=20190130212008

Sotorii killing a peasant who'd fallen over in his way.

 

 

**

Which may or may not (read: almost certainly is) connected to 'Hantei Jodan's' plan for what was supposed to happen in the succession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

The adventure Winter's Embrace introduces a few new factors to this mess.

The biggest is:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Miya Satoshi is the Kolat's Master Chrysanthemum

 

 

Wait seriously?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

It's one of the few cases where I would have prefered they's kept to old art. Bald Kuwanan and plain Toturi FTW.

I prefer bald Kuwanan. In old lore, Kuwanan kept his hair pretty short, but shaved it bald following Hoturi's death.  So there is still the possibility. He's young yet...and things are getting worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Yes, and given the nature of the character in the previous iteration of the game its not that far a leap.

"

My Friend and Peer". Daimyo and Imperial Herald. Bugger. For some reason I never thought about the Imperial families when thinking possible candidates.

Also....that's a big deal; if he is "My Friend and Peer" then he knows (at least in broad terms) that Doji Satsume had a plan to deal with the unworthiness of the two heirs, because that's why he had Kitsuki Tomo kill him. So whilst Kachiko may not have told him about the Edict, he may know (or at least suspect) that it exists anyway....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...