The Jabbawookie

Ackbar Profundity Pursuit Tactics

Posted (edited)

Hammerhead Torpedo Corvettes are not generally recognized as an Ackbar ship.  However, it dawned on me today that the rear is much better for Ackbar slashing than the front.  So what if Profundity dropped one off facing away from the target, leading to a slash before running away to red range?

An HHT hits about as hard as a double-arcing Glad 2 in this situation, and can even slash small bases from the side.  The CR90 variants hit like an ISD front arc broken in two, and can get out of range entirely.  They can also set up for future side arcs more reliably, but are incapable of slashing small bases at all or larges from the front (given how wide their rear arc is, the range advantage appears negligible when setting up the slash.)  As a result they seem like poor candidates unless multiple ships are being hit.  Neither craft can slash mediums from the front, though a Hammerhead can hit angled mediums.

Has anyone tried this or thought of dimensions I’ve missed?

Edited by The Jabbawookie

I think its an idea, but I don't feel that it would work out as well as you would prefer. I back this up with no evidence, only what I know about what a HH can take in terms of damage.
HH are great cost efficient ships for their cost. But the Torpedo Corvette version can only initiate its attack at close range from its side arcs, once it has moved past its target, how would he continue to help the engagement? Maybe a scout version with EA?

Just now, Karneck said:

I think its an idea, but I don't feel that it would work out as well as you would prefer. I back this up with no evidence, only what I know about what a HH can take in terms of damage.
HH are great cost efficient ships for their cost. But the Torpedo Corvette version can only initiate its attack at close range from its side arcs, once it has moved past its target, how would he continue to help the engagement? Maybe a scout version with EA?

Once a torp Hammerhead has rolled 9 dice, I consider its work more or less completed.  It's just gaining 4 reds during the burst damage stage, unlike the attrition style most of Ackbar's ships enjoy.

That said, it would ideally turn behind Profundity's stern.  If the ISD is slow, the Hammerhead has decent odds of escaping most situations (or sponging MMJ for a turn after shooting, that's not terrible.)  If the ISD is fast and doesn't kill the Hammerhead, it's almost guaranteed to wind up in black range of one side again, just from how the side arcs point.  Is it good value for 50-odd points (counting Profundity?)  I think so.  Will it work?  No idea, testing to come Thursday. :)

What about unload shoot ram with the the lightmaker title (it's lightmaker right?, Not lighthammer....) Maximizing survival, some what.

Maybe don't worry about it's survival, buy it for the one job and everything after that is a bonus.

32 minutes ago, Noosh said:

What about unload shoot ram with the the lightmaker title (it's lightmaker right?, Not lighthammer....) Maximizing survival, some what.

Maybe don't worry about it's survival, buy it for the one job and everything after that is a bonus.

I think this is the more accepted wisdom when using a pop-up HH

Posted (edited)

Had someone profunity drop a hammerhead infront of one of my VIC1s with Tractor Beams during a SC one day. I slowed it down to speed 1 using VIC1b, fired at it with long range dice. He activated his hammerhead, it landed about a half inch from VIC1a... VIC1a then unloaded its entire front arc into it and killed it.

I think a Hammerhead is perfect for the drop... if that exact situation above doesnt happen to you.

Edited by Ling27
Remove random comma

1 minute ago, Ling27 said:

Had someone profunity drop a hammerhead infront of one of my VIC1s with Tractor Beams during a SC one day. I slowed it down to speed 1 using VIC1b, fired at it with long range dice. He activated his hammerhead, it landed about a half inch from VIC1a... VIC1a then unloaded its entire front arc into it and killed it.

I think a Hammerhead is perfect for the drop... if that exact situation above doesnt happen to you. 

If I drop a Hammerhead out of close range of a tractor beam VSD with activation disadvantage, whatever happens was totally warranted.