Wazat

Playstyles Poll

Posted (edited)

Update: The poll has started!  Go vote on the X-Wing Wiki.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all, it's time to update the poll on the X-Wing Wiki, and I'd like to ask people what kind of playstyle they like most for their ships and fleets.  That entails having a (reasonably) wide list of play styles.  I've got this so far:

What's your favorite ship/fleet playstyle?

• Aces (High-init veterans.  Usually arc-dodgy; can be "fragile-agile" but not always)
  • (added) Toolkit Jousters (A mix of jousting and arc-dodging capabilities.)
  • Shark & Remora (Ace or big ship surrounded by scrubs)
  • Swarms (Vultures, TIE Fighters, etc)
  • Bulk (Lots of Health and Defense, such as: Rebel Beef; sharing damage with Selfless etc; deflecting damage with reinforce or pilot abilities (like Norra), etc)
  • Two-Ship Fleets (A scum special, but other factions do it too; sometimes has a 3rd filler ship thrown in)
  • Munition Alpha-Strikes (Proton Torpedoes, away!)
  • (added) Device Driver (Bombs, Mines, Drones, and other similar mechanics for area control and non-attack damage)
  • Quirky Shenanigans (Might be strong or weak, but the focus is on wacky/strange/different; the crazier the better)
  • Deliberately Off-Meta (I like ships more the more neglected they are, maybe to a fault)
  • (added) Experimental Variety (I don't care whether it's powerful or weak, I just want to experiment with something new every time)
  • (added) Thematic/Cinematic (I fly ships and pilots I like, more for thematic attraction than mechanical advantage)
  • Anything Top-Meta (I go for whatever's strong & popular.  I prefer something vetted and solid over something personalized or experimental.)
  • Everything (I bounce between lots of styles and I love most of them, often switching preference by day; I can't stick to just one!)
  • (added) Other (Not listed here!  Tell us about it in the Thread)

Suggestions, please!  Help me fill in what I've blindly missed.  I'll incorporate broad categories, things I feel are distinct enough from the broadest categories, and probably an item or two that strike my fancy.  :)

(And if you want to vote in the old poll, "What excites you most about Wave 3?", do so now before I replace it in a day or two!)

For those wondering, I'm primarily a Quirky Shenanigans player, followed by... Everything.  I love to sample and try new playstyles, and when I'm left to my own devices, I build nonsense like Wullffwarro War Crimes.

Edited by Wazat
adjust/finalize wording

Two years ago, I would have said arc-dodging aces without hesitation. But in 2.0, I've really enjoyed lists that fall somewhere in between aces and jousters. Lists (usually four ships) that jousts better than aces and arc dodges better than jousters. I guess you could classify them as "Shark & Remora", but 2 jedis+2 torrents and TIE Salad doesn't really fit into that either I think. Pilots like Quickdraw and Vader aren't really arc-dodgy aces. Can an Upsilon in a list with aces really be calles a remora?

I think maybe a category like "Toolkit jousters" or "Jack of all trades" would fit better? A mix of jousting and arc-dodging capabilities.

Posted (edited)

I suppose put me down for primarily off-meta. My rule is I fly the Ghost, I have always flown the Ghost, and will always fly the Ghost in first edition, second edition and beyond. She was ok, then behind broken, now she's terrible again but slowly getting better. But I fly her all the same. 

I also enjoy swarms of TIE Fighters and Vulture Droids, the more ships the better. Fun to play and also target rich environment for my Ghost!

Conversely my wife flies only Aces. And always Imperial.

Edited by GILLIES291

I'd you'd like, you can specify between the two types of swarms, because they are sort of different.

There's "block formation swarms" like Howlrunner, Drea, Jonus, etc. are usually flown in, which usually have range 1 synergies that require a tight formation and essentially behave as one giant ship that can outjoust most things, and then there's the  "non-formation swarms" that set up in a big line and fan out to catch things inside of all of their arcs. Both play pretty much identically in the mid/late game but have very different opening games. It's important because in my experience, a lot of people (like myself) tend to mess up the formation at some point and would much rather fly the non-formation swarm to not have any specific card combos to be thinking about between ships, whereas a lot of other players I've talked to don't want to have to think about all the dials individually for so long and would rather that the ships move together until there's less of them, even though this requires much more careful setup and careful thinking about where bumps are going to occur. There are  swarm players who like both, but I have found that the two types of swarms require very different skills and lots of swarm players really only like flying one or the other. Up to you. 

My choices:

1. Everything

In my  ~2/3 years of playing x-wing, I have never flown the same list twice. list building can be the best part of x-wing!

2. Shark and remora/Health and defense

I always try to keep my ships alive as long as possible. While I never flew miranda in 1.0, regen droids, R2-d2 crew, and pulse ray shields were my go-to upgrades. 2.0 has pushed me to branch into other playstyles, but I still like high defense and attrition warfare.

Mid initiative aces. Which also could fall under the unloved category.

Basically I love to experiment, constantly change my list, and once something g becomes ‘solved’ or a major part of the meta, I stop flying it completely.

So something between Toolbox aces, off meta, and everything. But basically the more movement shenanigans I have, the happier I am.

I’d say I play something which could be between Shark and Remora and Toolkit jousters. I play maneuverable Poe (BB-8) and usually 2 Red Experts.

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, Wazat said:

• Aces (Arc-dodgy, high-init veterans)
  • Shark & Remora (Ace or big ship surrounded by scrubs)
  • Two-Ship Fleets (sometimes with a 3rd filler ship thrown in).
  • Quirky Shenanigans (might be strong or weak, but the crazier the better)
  • Primarily Off-Meta (I like ships more the more neglected they are)
  • (added) Toolkit Jousters (A mix of jousting and arc-dodging capabilities.)
  • Everything (I bounce between lots of styles and can't make up my mind!)

This looks about right for what I play overall.  My top three would be Quirky Shenanigans, Toolkit Jousters, and Two-Ship Fleets - I tend to build more squads that play into these types.  Sometimes I'll go Aces, but only when the mood strikes me. In gamer psychographic parlance, I'd be a Johnny or a Timmy

Edited by feltipern1

Hmm

Since I'm thinking of getting into CIS come wave 4 (hyenas!)...wouldn't any list of theirs be "Quirky Shenanigans"?

I mean sure, vulture swarms aren't terribly quirky, but CiS otherwise has so much weird **** like device droids, 32-c's combat phase engagement, 404, potential prototype jank, potential bomb droid jank, Kraken and the wave 4 death-relay...

3 minutes ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

Shark and Remora.

Are there poll results listed somewhere?  I didn't see it on the wiki.

Wazat is looking for entry ideas for the poll itself while also stirring discussion of the topic. They'll be putting the poll up later on the wiki in place of the current one to gather the info there.