Kehl_Aecea

If you could change 1 thing...

On 5/31/2019 at 8:55 PM, ficklegreendice said:

Green dice out; Armada dice and tokens in

Also, objectives 

You see, FGD doesn't actually like the game X-wing, he just likes the idea of it. Which is why he wants, like some others, to remove the best part of it and sterilize the experience of it's action packed cinematic flavor and turn it in to a drab methodical math equation. It's kind of his thing 😂

15 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Maybe have Commanders who can apply some sort of global effect that can alter the way you'd play a list (e.g. "Decrease the difficulty of your ships' 3-5 speed basic maneuvers.  Increase the difficulty of your ships' 1-2 speed maneuvers.")

Squad leader upgrade slot? Could put it on whatever pilot cards you want retroactively too. Gives abilities that are akin to the tactical droids abilities.

Like fleet command upgrade slot in Armada. Really good idea actually.

13 minutes ago, ForceSensitive said:

You see, FGD doesn't actually like the game X-wing, he just likes the idea of it. Which is why he wants, like some others, to remove the best part of it and sterilize the experience of it's action packed cinematic flavor and turn it in to a drab methodical math equation. It's kind of his thing 😂

Lol

I mean, given the wealth of coincidences that propell the new trilogy forward, I guess you've found the one context where describing dice as "cinematic" isn't laughable 🤣

15 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Lol

I mean, given the wealth of coincidences that propell the new trilogy forward, I guess you've found the one context where describing dice as "cinematic" isn't laughable 🤣

The wealth of coincidence that propels THE ENTIRE SAGA. There, fixed it.

A farm boy, princess, rogue, barbarian, and two golems that have a non functional relationship with the aid of a single old sorcerer destroy a wonder weapon of planetary scale with a magic arrow. 

Star Wars is the story of a group of adventurers that cast magic missile at the darkness... And it worked. Nat20 bi*#$@'s.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

1.) This isn't DND. We have star wars RPGs 

2.) Dnd  knows better than to have green dice 

FFG's Star Wars RPG has 'green dice' - they're just rolled by the attacker. 😉

Edited by Subhntr

Daaaayum. @JJ48 and @Subhntr, with the big guns 😂. Also there's a fairly often used mechanic that does give a d20 roll to the defender and you add your AC modifiers to that, and considers the base 10AC core mechanic to have been a shortcut for the player 'taking ten' just like any other skill check. This is widely known of and published by the game designers in books like 'Unearthed Arcana' and other book expansions as a way to add drama and depth to your games and provide more cinematic tension at times when success would be otherwise impossible. Like at high levels when Fighters have base +20 to hit and total modifier can be exceed any AC in the game. We did that once in X-wing, in first edition many combats had stagnated to unstoppable damage. And that doesn't work it turns out for the health of a game like this.

22 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Depends on the edition.  Isn't that essentially what Saving Throws are?

Nope, least not in fifth Ed

Take a charm spell against an almighty wizard and a crafty rogue. One is for more susceptible.

Now take red dice against Vader and Soontir. They're equally susectible to any amount of red dice 

Saving throws are FAR more nuanced than green dice 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

darths0002.jpg

If only

Not to mention that Dnd isn't just winning or losing

Failing a saving throw, ESPECIALLY against charmed, can be the highlight of the session. We have a badass gnome ranger who's as much a danger to us as to the enemy given how many Nat 1 attacks he rolls and charms he takes 

In xwing, good/bad greens just kinda rob you of the impact of your flying 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Posted (edited)

TL;DR: Wiggly wobbly movement templates.

I've had one pretty fundamental redesign in mind since early in 1st edition, when it became clear that the current dial system only allows for so much variation before they have to start repeating dials (see Fang Fighter) or making really wacky dials (see Vulture).

The idea is to replace the flat-ended movement templates with templates that have a wedge shape at one end, ending in a point. This point nestles in to a wedge shape that is cut in to the base of the fighter, at the front of the stand, so that when moving, the template's wedge is nestled fully in to the fighter's base.

Here's the rub, though - different fighters have different sized notches in their base, that give a different amount of 'play' to the template. Some fit rigidly in with no wiggle at all (decimator, hound's tooth etc), whereas others have, say, 15 degrees of room to the left or right to customise your maneuver (interceptors etc). This leads to different ships feeling totally different in how they fly, throwing the design space wide open for how ships feel to move around. Y wings? Slow dial, but lots of customisation in how you make your moves. TIE fighers? Fast, varied dial, but locked in to their maneuver as the pilot wrestles for control of the craft. Season with boosts and barrel rolls to taste.

It'd also give moving a much more 'analogue' feel.

Furthermore, it means that you can get rid of a lot of the necessity for post-maneuver movement actions, as you've got some say in where you end up baked right in to your maneuver.

It won't happen, as it'd mean throwing out both the existing templates and bases, but if I was doing a ground-up redesign, that would be the first thing I'd start playtesting (alongside new types of attack dice).

Edited by ShgrizzX

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2019 at 1:12 PM, SabineKey said:

Yeah, but that already kind of exists. See cards like Leia and Palp.

True.

But if you defined Leia and Palp as Commanders, and thus 1 per list of that Crew subtype, it becomes a new design space to explore.

You could create a Rebel crew with a powerful ability, and not worry about that ability being additive with Leia, because you can only have 1 Commander.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Just now, Darth Meanie said:

True.

But if you defined Leia and Palp as Commanders, and thus 1 per list of that Crew subtype, it becomes a new design space to explore.

So like Tac Relay...

5 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

So like Tac Relay...

Yeah, so like Tac Relay.  But not Separatist-only.  And because calling Commander Jun Sato a "Tac Relay" sounds dumb.

And, as I pointed out, you could make Leia, Palp, and Tac Relays ALL Fleet Commanders, thus creating a unified rule-set concept.

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, pickirk01 said:

No Obstacles.

What idiot of a commander would send his forces into a place where you are as likely to die from the terrain as enemy fire.  And if the enemy went in, I would just wait for them to come out after they have battered half their own ships to bits.  Seeing as they would be looping and dodging around to get through, you could just put the throttle down and go around, beating them to the other side.

Even if you want to say its fluff from the movie, let us recall the dialog on the Falcon when they do go into an asteroid field:

Leia - "You're not actually going INTO an asteroid field!?"

Han - "They'd be crazy to follow us wouldn't they?"

Threepio - "Sir, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3720 to 1!"

The unfortunate reality of command is that sometimes you don't have a choice about sending troops into inhospitable arenas of battle.  Also, terrain makes every play experience unique.

On 6/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Boom Owl said:

Pretty much yep. No Glory format with Planning Phase actions only, no passive mods, no double mods, and no boosting turrets. The variance must be more severe. 

So you want to reduce the game to its simplest elements?  To me, that would make for a game that grew boring very quickly.

To answer the OP's question rather cheekily, if I could change one thing about the current game of X-Wing, it would be to send all of the Armada players who want to use Armada's dice, tokens, objectives, and everything that makes that game unique and graft them on to X-Wing over to the Armada discussion boards ;)  Fleet admirals really have no place in a dogfighting game.  However, as @RedHotDicesaid earlier in this thread, I would definitely like to see some of the super-abilities (i.e. Rebel Han's obstacle rerolls) come with a charge, at least, so the tactical decision of when to use it becomes that much more strategic.  That is the case for some of the current crop of pilots (Poe's ability to mix and match actions, but choosing them carefully, comes to mind), but I think it could have been more globally applied.

Edited by feltipern1