Kehl_Aecea

If you could change 1 thing...

If you could rewrite an aspect of X-Wing, what would it be? Pilot card ability? Upgrade? Core mechanic? Ship dial or stats?

I'm torn between two:

1) remove the ship limit. Can you field more than 8? GO FOR IT

2) Limit the number of large based ships OR add a point to multiple large base ships. So, if you're making a list, the first large based ship cost remains the same, but any additional large based ship will have a point increase.  Basically, this is to encourage small and medium ship combat and keeping large base ships sparse and special.

Separate damage and accuracy dice to give better distinction between weapons, particularly missiles and torpedoes. Missile should hit more often but not nearly as hard as torpedoes and those should rarely hit anything with a halfway decent agility value but when they do hit like a mac truck.

29 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Green dice out; Armada dice and tokens in

Also, objectives 

Of course you'd want green dice out XD 

27 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Separate damage and accuracy dice to give better distinction between weapons, particularly missiles and torpedoes. Missile should hit more often but not nearly as hard as torpedoes and those should rarely hit anything with a halfway decent agility value but when they do hit like a mac truck.

No lie, I was kinda hoping 2.0 would implement that for ordinance! 

All this dice talk reminds me... I need to salt my dice this weekend. I played 3 games Thursday and didn't roll a single evade result with the dice I brought...

28 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I was thinking something like this:

Proton Torpedo: 3 attack dice. If it hits, add one critical hit result.

Concussion Missile: 4 attack dice. Cancel crits before hits.

No Obstacles.

What idiot of a commander would send his forces into a place where you are as likely to die from the terrain as enemy fire.  And if the enemy went in, I would just wait for them to come out after they have battered half their own ships to bits.  Seeing as they would be looping and dodging around to get through, you could just put the throttle down and go around, beating them to the other side.

Even if you want to say its fluff from the movie, let us recall the dialog on the Falcon when they do go into an asteroid field:

Leia - "You're not actually going INTO an asteroid field!?"

Han - "They'd be crazy to follow us wouldn't they?"

Threepio - "Sir, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3720 to 1!"

I'd be down for removing initiative killing as a mechanic (all ships get to shoot the round they are destroyed regardless of initiative). It's sort of like Veteran Instincts was in 1.0, where removing it would mess up too much stuff to do it now, but for future editions, I think it would be cool to balance higher initiative solely around positional advantage rather than trying to balance out alpha strikes (since I feel like that's where a lot of the weird costing on different initiative generics comes from). 

Less something I'd really like to see for sure, but an "action phase" would also be interesting, where all the ships move in ascending initiative order, and then all take actions in ascending initiative order. Even harder to implement now, but also would be an interesting way to rethink initiative (since no matter what always stuck with the conundrum that everything is meant to be simultaneous, but two things can't occupy the same spot on the table and something has to move first)

Posted (edited)

Id move 100% of action choices to the planning phase, id make double modified dice impossible, and i would remove the concept of passive mods from the game. Might as well get rid of Gas clouds/Debri to. And id make it impossible to pair any rotatable or 180 arc with a boost action.

Edited by Boom Owl

Two alternative answers:

1 ) Not changing the core of the game: Objectives or Actual Missions/Scenarios. In real wars very seldomly fighters meet each other to ditch it out  in a field full of stones. 

2) If changing the core of the game. I would really have preferred FFG quadruppling points from 1st->2nd, thus being able to have a bigger spread of 2-6att and 0-x defense, opening up design space.

OR

Different types of dice for attack and defense. Fixing ordnance, opening up design space.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

No Obstacles.

What idiot of a commander would send his forces into a place where you are as likely to die from the terrain as enemy fire.  And if the enemy went in, I would just wait for them to come out after they have battered half their own ships to bits. 

Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral. I want that ship, and not excuses!

Ok, moving away from the jokes - this is going to sound dumb, but I’m not sure I would want to change anything. Sure, more metrics means there’s a way to vary a ship more than 4 stat lines, an action bar, and a dial. But it isn’t necessary to change the game state.

Now, I would really like to see a campaign box set for x-wing. Objectives, missions, new terrain, all of it. Just more ways to play the game. Just like how Legion has multiple different game modes - there’s “standard” which is based off the standard draw deck of game format, there’s ffg operations published online, and there’s a new terrain piece coming out with some specialized linked missions. X-wing could benefit from something like this as another game mode besides standard dogfighting.

I suspect that epic may ultimately go down this path. If it does, that’s awesome. 

Edited by ScummyRebel

I'd go with something along the lines of what @Kieransi said. It'd be interesting to see how these higher initiative pilots would have to fly if everything got to shoot. The damage deck, certain secondary weapons and abilities could add some layers of mechanics that effect ships that shoot later instead of pure arc dodging by the higher initiative pilots. 

With how the game is structured now, i3 or lower generics have a hard life. Granted they could be saved a bit if future points adjustments correctly price the gap between generic and names pilots, but so far we don't see that as priority for FFG.

I REALLY like the way 2.0 have changed things for the better; and the game is near perfect - they should just have taken it ome step further. 

All abilities should be at the spending of a cost, such as a charge or force (with some reocurring) and linked to the "effectsize". E.g. as Lone Wolf requires the spending of the charge, so should Republic Pilot Han Solos ability, Juke should spend the evade. Leia should spend 1-2 charges per ship that reduces its difficulty. 

Green dice are great fun, it adds to the fell of the defender being able to "do" something, this is an important fun core mechanic that should NEVER go. 

No extra complication of having different types of attack dice is needed, againt keep it simple, fast and fun.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, RedHotDice said:

Green dice are great fun, it adds to the fell of the defender being able to "do" something, this is an important fun core mechanic that should NEVER go. 

Lol no it doesn't

Green dice add to the feel of rng taking away from good manuevers, either by spiking an ace into invulnerability when focus fired or insta-death with only one arc to worry about

Armada tokens are the REAL means of giving the Defender something to do. They're a really involved resource management game that allows you to really "push" your ship by either using a token once per round or twice at the cost of discarding the token forever.

It also rewards the defender for range control (with the evade token) and rewards the attacker for concetrating fire.

Now, second edition has done really well to mitigate the idiocy of green dice :

1.) no stupid, undodgable turrets turning xwing into pure dice 

2.) no guaranteed defense stacking that meant you only had one real chance out of multiple shots to do any damage

3.) no crazy, infinite regen that could tank forever with one or two lucky rolls ruining your only chance to kill them 

So green dice are "fine", but they are by no means the best system to give a defender any agency 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I think it would be nice to have a drift mechanic where, rather than always aligning the template between your rear guides after basic maneuvers, you could align it to the outside of either guide to let your ship "drift" left or right.

This could be applied in any number of ways including being and action or just available to specific ships but most appealing to me would be an option that all ships have after basic maneuvers before their action, probably only on non-red maneuvers and while non-stressed. It could be limited to certain bearings or maybe scaled based on base size. For example, only on straight maneuvers for large bases, straight and bank maneuvers for medium ships, and straight bank and turn maneuvers for small ships. Or maybe not at all for large, straights for medium and straights and banks for small ships. 

I could see an argument that this reduces the value of barrel roll but I don't think so. Barrel roll is a much more extreme positional change so it still has its own applications. Plus, if you allow drift plus barrel roll you also increase the range/value of barrel roll too (it could be longer OR shorter if you drift thr opposite direction you are going to roll). I think there is some concern drifting could help high Initiaive pilots have even more advantage over low which is probably valid but maybe offset some by lower unit having that much more control where they setup blocks and the joy of having more control of all of your ships.

I love the X-Wing movement system but the extremely limited discrete set of moves on each dial is not something I see as a feature but a practical limitation because of dial space and how unwieldy MORE maneuver template would be. Something like this avoids those two issues while giving you much more control of your ships. If it scaled based on base size, it also serves to further differentiate the maneuverability of small, medium and large ships.

6 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

Id move 100% of action choices to the planning phase, id make double modified dice impossible, and i would remove the concept of passive mods from the game. Might as well get rid of Gas clouds/Debri to. And id make it impossible to pair any rotatable or 180 arc with a boost action.

So... remove every ship from the game except for academy tie fighters?

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

I would definitely change the size of my-

...what’s that? Oh, X-WING changes! Gotcha... 

RZ-1 A-Wings! I always thought they looked too big before, but now that the RZ-2 A-Wings are out it’s blindingly obvious that the old A-Wings are not to scale. 

I have a gut feeling the new RZ-1 A-Wings will have a new, smaller model ESPECIALLY when you size them against the RZ-2 and even the Delta-7 starfighter. Which means I'm gonna be buying several to replace my old ones like I did with the new X-Wing, B-Wing, and Y-Wing >_>

Don't judge me!

Posted (edited)

A thought I had--in relation to @Kieransi and the suggestion of no-more initiative kills--was that a killed pilot ought to get a little weaker.  Something like a ship attacked by a "destroyed" ship would get to change one eye to a blank, or hit or crit to an eye.  This would also be a benefit to going first within an initiative step, where if you can ring the bell of someone shooting back, you'll have an easier time living on the other end of it.

I kind of don't love the idea of getting shot down having *no* impact on your offense, being unable to shoot *at all* might be too strong of a penalty.

//

I'd love to see a new maneuver difficulty.  I'd originally thought of it as an orange or yellow maneuver, but I'm not committed to the color--I know FFG switched from Green to Blue to increase accessibility, and I wouldn't want to mess that up.  However it'd need to be changed I'd be cool with, but for sake of argument, I'm sticking with my old names.

My first thought for a Yellow Maneuver was this: treated as white if you aren't stressed, but treated as red if you are.  Essentially, Ello Asty's Tallon Rolls.  A few examples of where I'd use them would be at least one of the Jumpmaster's right turns (so that they're not completely locked out of turning that direction), or a TIE Defender's K-Turn (so that while they can normally flip without involving stress, once they do take stress from some source, they can't just ignore it).

One problem with it would be interference with existing increase/decrease maneuver difficulty effects, but there'd be some way to word a rule so that these got skipped.

But perhaps a that's not the right way to go.  Those Yellow moves would still essentially be white moves, for all intents and purposes.  Maybe a better idea would be an Orange Maneuver which would be more like red move you can still execute while stressed (and maybe still grants a stress).  I guess it'd be Primed Thrusters, but for maneuvers.  Now that I think about it, it should certainly have a PT-like restriction of having 2 or fewer stress.  This, also, would be a great addition to a Jumpmaster.  Those right-hards still suck, but you could use them if you need to.  Piling up stress is more meaningful in 2e, since there are fewer passive modifications, but it'd still allow a stress-heavy ship to maintain some maneuverability.  Perhaps a Lambda shuttle could get Orange hard turns, piling on stress, but it'd be a lot harder to be locked out of a hard turn.  It'd also be a cool buff to something already maneuverable, like an E-Wing or TIE/sf, with at least their 1-hards and maybe their S-Loops as orange.  Gaining extra stress is bad, but being able to pull one after a linked action or chain flip-moves is an interesting trick.

*note* I surely wouldn't want both of these...

Edited by theBitterFig

14 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

No Obstacles.

What idiot of a commander would send his forces into a place where you are as likely to die from the terrain as enemy fire.  And if the enemy went in, I would just wait for them to come out after they have battered half their own ships to bits.  Seeing as they would be looping and dodging around to get through, you could just put the throttle down and go around, beating them to the other side.

Even if you want to say its fluff from the movie, let us recall the dialog on the Falcon when they do go into an asteroid field:

Leia - "You're not actually going INTO an asteroid field!?"

Han - "They'd be crazy to follow us wouldn't they?"

Threepio - "Sir, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are 3720 to 1!"

I'm not sure I'd call six obstacles "an asteroid field".

Personally, I think the main thing I'd change would be to add consistency to abilities to ensure that there's always a trade-off or restriction for the better ones.  Han gets his rerolls, but either has to pay a cost to use the ability or it's more restrictive (e.g. only for attack/defense dice).  Palob gets to choose between gaining a token or stripping one from the enemy.  That sort of thing.

Of course, if it were me, Palob wouldn't be a concern because Scum wouldn't be in the game at all...