Sign in to follow this  
heychadwick

Asteroids X-wing - fun and easy variant

Shuttle Tydirium has been trying out a new game variant and having a BLAST!   It's a very quick game (1 hour) and is up to 4 players.  You will need some extra tools (different dice, etc), but most game stores should have some of them laying around or at least for sale.

For those of you that are old enough to remember the game Asteroids, this should be a fun game format for you!   It was a game that came out in Nov of 1979.  I spent many a quarter on this game!   

Original-vector-based-Asteroids-game-Ata

You were a little triangle and the point was to stay alive.  You got points for shooting asteroids, which broke apart into smaller ones once you hit them.   There was also a UFO that would occasionally move across the screen and shoot at anything in range.  It is considered one of the early greats, along with Pac-Man and Space Invaders.  

My friend and fellow podcaster, J-bot, has been working on a version for X-wing!   We are still testing and revamping the rules, but I can give you a sample of what we have been doing.  @Biff has been doing his efforts, as well.  Biff's looks better, of course, as he's put a bit more time into it so far.  

Play is on a regular 3x3 game map.   Max 4 players, but at least 2.  You will need asteroids broken up into three sizes, of Large, Medium, and Small.   We started with the standard asteroids and tried to just categorize them by size.  We used turret indicators to point to the direction they move.  Also, you need to have a Games Workshop scatter die.  It's basically a die with an arrow on each side to randomly determine a direction.  

Biff has his rules posted here, but we are changing them on the fly, as well.

• Each player gets an A-wing with no upgrades.
  • Each round you roll a d6 to determine which player goes first that round.   Highest goes first and then just go clockwise.
  • The starting player rolls an attack die.
    • On a Hit, add another asteroid.   Roll a d8 to determine where on the board (start in one corner, middle, corner, next middle, etc).
    • On a Crit, the UFO shows up.  Use either a Decimator or a Lambda Shuttle that moves across the board shooting at everything.  More info later
  • All players start in the middle facing towards board edges (all different directions).   
  • Each player places an asteroid on the table.  We are experimenting with 1 per player or x-1 asteroids (x is number of players).
  • Roll the scatter die to determine which direction the asteroids are moving.  These numbers are still in flux.
    • Large asteroids move speed 1 template
    • Medium asteroids move speed 3 template
    • Small asteroids move speed 5 template
  • Asteroids move on the System phase.   So, after you pick dials, but before you move.
  • Anything that goes off the edge of the board just reappears on the other side, touching the board edge.  All extra movement is lost.   This includes ships.  You can't do actions once you cross over.
  • If an asteroid collides with another asteroid, both stop moving and don't move for the rest of the turn.   Re-roll scatter die for both of them.   They can't collide again the next round.  
  • Asteroids have 1 hull and 1 agility.  
  • If you destroy an asteroid, it breaks into two smaller ones.   Large become 2 Medium.  1 Medium becomes 2 small.   Small are just destroyed.  You score points based on blowing up an asteroid:
    • Large = 1 pt
    • Medium = 2 pts
    • Small = 3 pts
  • First player to 10 Points wins!
  • When an asteroid is broken up into pieces, you roll scatter die for those new pieces.  They might be coming back at you!   
  • UFO moves across the board at Speed 2.  It fires at every single ship in range.   It has 4 attack dice.  UFO is 10 hull, zero Agility, and doesn't suffer crits.  It fires 360.   It gets 5 dice at close range.   It can't modify dice.  Once off the board, it goes away.  Only one UFO out at a time.   

We found we didn't have enough small asteroids and made some out of cardboard.  They were tiny and we found we like them better than the cardboard ones.  We will eventually make some pretty looking ones, but the cardboard works.  We liked the arrow already on them and made some of each size.  Biff made some for Cure for Cancer event and his look nice.  Ours are still in progress.  

We want to use the Lambda for flavor reasons (Shuttle Tydirium), but tried the Decimator last night due to it actually having a turret.  

We had the scatter die in a little plastic box so we can shake it and drop it near where we want and turn the asteroid direction easier.

Tie Punisher Jason hates the Rebels and refused to use an A-wing model, so he used an Interceptor model and A-wing rules/dials.  

The Ethersprite Jedi ship looks more like the original triangle, but we don't want to use Force Points and other shenanigans. 

60879635_10158854884779199_2618908483998

I apologize for my bad camera.  It has spots.

61480442_10156864333455642_5631283092397

61869808_10156864333600642_2275115391543

61636803_10156864333690642_5362748680350

I flew badly.

Oh man - this is brilliant!

1) It sounds super fun.

2) Seems like a relatively quick play.

3) Simple enough for younglings to get in on the action.

4) More accessible to the average person.*

*Lure them in for the Fully Operational (tm) game later on.

2 hours ago, Jeff Wilder said:

Pretty awesome, Jim.

When you're moving the rocks, if the template overlaps a ship, is that a collision?

It's all J-bot's idea, but I helped flush it out after he came up with it.   

Yeah, we had it where someone else shot a rock and the new Medium rock changed direction towards another player.  It went so far it landed on him and even ended it's move in front of him.  So, the rock hit him and then when he moved, he hit it again.  

1 minute ago, Scrivner said:

Oh man - this is brilliant!

1) It sounds super fun.

2) Seems like a relatively quick play.

3) Simple enough for younglings to get in on the action.

4) More accessible to the average person.*

*Lure them in for the Fully Operational (tm) game later on.

1) Yeah!  It has been surprisingly fun.

2) Once you have it all, it's pretty quick.  Maybe 60 min?   Only to 10 points.

3) Yep.  You might have to show them the YouTube version of the game so they get an idea.

4) Star Wars is pretty accessible, but this fits a certain niche of people out there.

Brilliant! Thanks for this. Looks like a ton of fun! 4 questions:

1. When a crit is rolled The UFO appears and moves 2 straight. But where does it start and where is it going?

2. What happens when an awing is destroyed? Couldnt an awing pop relatively easily with some unlucky dice rolls due to a ufo appearing out of nowhere.?

3. Whats the point of the ufo having 10 hp if u get no points for shooting it? Maybe if u kill it you should get a cluster missle ;) ?

4. At the start of every round do u roll a directional dice for every asteroid? Or does it continue going the same direction as last turn?

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

29 minutes ago, TBot said:

Brilliant! Thanks for this. Looks like a ton of fun! 4 questions:

1. When a crit is rolled The UFO appears and moves 2 straight. But where does it start and where is it going?

2. What happens when an awing is destroyed? Couldnt an awing pop relatively easily with some unlucky dice rolls due to a ufo appearing out of nowhere.?

3. Whats the point of the ufo having 10 hp if u get no points for shooting it? Maybe if u kill it you should get a cluster missle ;) ?

4. At the start of every round do u roll a directional dice for every asteroid? Or does it continue going the same direction as last turn?

Thanks again. Have a great weekend.

1) We wanted it to take either the high side or low side of the board, but with the potential to go any direction.  So, if you took one side and measured R3 from one corner, that would be one, R3 from the next corner is 2.  Continue this way till all sides are covered and you have  D8 to roll to determine where.

2) A new A-wing appears in the middle.  You lose half your score.   We are still iffy on this, but no one has died yet.

3) Dang, I forgot to say you get 5 pts if you kill it!!!!   No missiles as that ruins things.  The only way to kill the UFO is if numerous people go after it, but someone is probably going to die.  

4) An asteroid stays that direction until it bumps into another, gets bumped by another, or breaks into 2 smaller.

On 5/31/2019 at 7:40 PM, heychadwick said:

1) We wanted it to take either the high side or low side of the board, but with the potential to go any direction.  So, if you took one side and measured R3 from one corner, that would be one, R3 from the next corner is 2.  Continue this way till all sides are covered and you have  D8 to roll to determine where.

2) A new A-wing appears in the middle.  You lose half your score.   We are still iffy on this, but no one has died yet.

3) Dang, I forgot to say you get 5 pts if you kill it!!!!   No missiles as that ruins things.  The only way to kill the UFO is if numerous people go after it, but someone is probably going to die.  

4) An asteroid stays that direction until it bumps into another, gets bumped by another, or breaks into 2 smaller.

Sweet thanks for the response. Cant wait to play.

On 6/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, LagJanson said:

Do you know what time it should be? I’m probably booked up already but just checking, y’know.

I’m going from memory, Thursday at 3 or 4 pm.  I don’t have my schedule handy.

My track record for new event requests after the initial deadline is something like 0 for 8, so I’m not holding my breath...

@LagJanson We could probably find some time to do it with ya.  You are bringing the dang Death Star Trench, after all.    Tie Punisher Jason might be around, as well.  He's not sure if he's coming or not, but he has done it and would most likely be happy to play it.

48 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

@LagJanson We could probably find some time to do it with ya.  You are bringing the dang Death Star Trench, after all.    Tie Punisher Jason might be around, as well.  He's not sure if he's coming or not, but he has done it and would most likely be happy to play it.

Scheduling late events in is always fun, in the frustratingly-sarcastic kinda way. Odds are I'm tapped out.

8 hours ago, Biff said:

I’m going from memory, Thursday at 3 or 4 pm.

Oh look... I've already got an event booked during that period... some place called 19 and One, running a Death Star Trench Run. Sounded like fun, so I thought I'd give it a try.