dsul413

XWD 8: Debrief 1 - NaKoaLani v DROID (RAC/Rexlar v Grievous Swarm)

On 6/11/2019 at 1:45 AM, GreenDragoon said:

One more thing about debrief focus points.

For some reason, the (podcast)community doesn't like bat reps. Maybe that is because the format of podcasts is not exactly ideal for an extremely visual game.

But even in written form, battle reports can turn out way too long, something that I do myself. That is where Debrief Focus Points come into play.

They are such a great tool to distill and share the most crucial errors and lessons of a game, without all the additional baggage.

And they allow podcasters to get to the point after a minimal bit of context. The downside is the required effort. I found that I need the play by play for myself to accurately remember the game, but of course I could only share the essence instead of the details.

Maybe a short form bat rep would be interesting.

We will work on the short form bat rep, because I agree - its an interesting avenue to explore. That's the best part about this format, though - you run the play by play before you skinny down to DFPs and learning points, and then really you just need a top level summary of the action before getting to the learning when you provide it to others.

Have you ever evaluated an opponent’s list, and categorized it as just like something else you’ve played against? Then, after playing, realized you were very wrong about how that list played, even though it had distinct similarities to another list?

Definitely. As noted, it can even be as simple as a single upgrade being different, like not remembering a player with a Decimator has found a slack handful of points to equip it with mines....

And yes, biases from unrealistic experience is very real. There's an old saying of "if it was stupid but it worked, it wasn't stupid."

This isn't a bad rule. But there is a subtext people often miss - if it's stupid but it worked once that doesn't mean it'll work again.

I have the same thing with TIE strikers. They have a thing they can do - really a loophole due to the way the Adaptive Ailerons rule is written - which lets them 'skin dance' through debris without suffering stress.

• Aileron move onto the debris, with leading edge of base protruding on the other side
  • Receive Stress
  • Reveal Blue move
  • Execute Blue move
  • Remove Stress
  • Perform action as normal

It's a very nice trick and often catches people off-guard, especially now the TIE/sk has speed 2 blue banks, which are pretty fast when chained with the aileron move.

The downside? You have to roll one, single, unmodified attack die and not roll a critical. This is not hard, and it's a sensible tactic to use whenever it's advantageous to do so.

The fact that in the last 1st edition tournament I went to what actually happened was Major Explosion/Direct Hit shouldn't put me off it, but I have to keep consciously reminding myself of that.

12 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Definitely. As noted, it can even be as simple as a single upgrade being different, like not remembering a player with a Decimator has found a slack handful of points to equip it with mines....

And yes, biases from unrealistic experience is very real. There's an old saying of "if it was stupid but it worked, it wasn't stupid."

This isn't a bad rule. But there is a subtext people often miss - if it's stupid but it worked once that doesn't mean it'll work again.

I have the same thing with TIE strikers. They have a thing they can do - really a loophole due to the way the Adaptive Ailerons rule is written - which lets them 'skin dance' through debris without suffering stress.

• Aileron move onto the debris, with leading edge of base protruding on the other side
  • Receive Stress
  • Reveal Blue move
  • Execute Blue move
  • Remove Stress
  • Perform action as normal

It's a very nice trick and often catches people off-guard, especially now the TIE/sk has speed 2 blue banks, which are pretty fast when chained with the aileron move.

The downside? You have to roll one, single, unmodified attack die and not roll a critical. This is not hard, and it's a sensible tactic to use whenever it's advantageous to do so.

The fact that in the last 1st edition tournament I went to what actually happened was Major Explosion/Direct Hit shouldn't put me off it, but I have to keep consciously reminding myself of that.

That example perfectly illustrates the point. Thank you!

Posted (edited)

@NaKoaLani posted a writeup on Centers of Gravity - what they are, how you can potentially identify them, and how he approaches Imperial list building with them in mind.

https://xwingdebrief.wordpress.com/2019/06/22/centers-of-gravity/

Up Next: DROID's Hyperspace Trial adventures in Colorado! #resourcesmatter

Edited by dsul413

Posted (edited)

In true Military Management Fashion, if in doubt, try putting elements in your opponent's list into a four-box model*:

In this case, your two questions are "How Hard Is It To Kill?" and "How Much Damage Is It Going To Do If I Ignore It?"

How Hard Is It To Kill?

Needs your entire squad_____________Engage if you get the chance but don't actively manoeuvre to engage___________________________KILL MIRANDA DONI FIRST**

Can kill at any point________________Actively Ignore in favour of other targets____________________________________Deliberately manoeuvre to engage early on

___________________________________________Limited_________________________________________________Lots__________

How Much Damage Is It Going To Do If I Ignore It?

* The original, if you're interested, was a German Werhmacht officer's way of (privately!) categorising his senior officers:

Energetic____________Important Front-Line Command_____________________Do Not Trust With ANYTHING IMPORTANT

Lazy_________________Strategic Staff Position______________________Boring, Routine, But Vital Logistics Duties

_________________________Clever_______________________________________________________Stupid

** Ahem. Maybe some old 1st edition reflexes triggering there.... Sorry.

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Article 8 is up - our first fully written debrief. Expect for future debriefs to have up through the second or so round of engagement in snapshots at the bottom of the post to make it easier to follow, and only setup or especially pertinent snapshots in the meat of the writing. We do have the Vassal log linked though, if you have any questions on how the game went!

https://xwingdebrief.wordpress.com/2019/07/04/debrief-1-nakoalani-v-droid-rac-rex-vs-grievous-swarm/

9 minutes ago, dsul413 said:

Article 8 is up - our first fully written debrief. Expect for future debriefs to have up through the second or so round of engagement in snapshots at the bottom of the post to make it easier to follow, and only setup or especially pertinent snapshots in the meat of the writing. We do have the Vassal log linked though, if you have any questions on how the game went!

https://xwingdebrief.wordpress.com/2019/07/04/debrief-1-nakoalani-v-droid-rac-rex-vs-grievous-swarm/

Ouch, ya got pasted. :( Nice write up. :) !

An interesting read, good to see both sides.

Having played both with and against RAC plus 1 quite a bit, your biggest decision is to assess whether your own forces can drop RAC quickly enough that his partner doesn't do too much damage.

His ideal outcome is for Chiraneau to tank your initial attacks and then to run away, possibly before he gives up half points, whilst Rex has a free reign. If you have to chase Chiraneau, he's probably won.

Functionally, the ESC missiles can do a max of 2 damage to Chiraneau, so only firing them at Rex and choosing to ignore the decimator can be the correct choice.

From his point of view, bumping into one or more of your droids to minimise incoming damage makes sense, since Dauntless allows his action. Taking the damage from Vader, in order to shoot your ESC at Rex can be the correct choice too.

Finally, I would reconsider your deployment: what was the purpose of putting Grevious by himself at the right hand side?

Since all of his forces deploy after yours, the logical place for him is to face the weaker flank and try to eliminate Grevious first; you countered that by running, but that left Grevious out of the action for 2 turns at least. If he'd been placed with the vultures, he could have flanked up your left or joined the firing line to ensure better arc coverage.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:59 AM, Gilarius said:

Finally, I would reconsider your deployment: what was the purpose of putting Grevious by himself at the right hand side?

Since all of his forces deploy after yours, the logical place for him is to face the weaker flank and try to eliminate Grevious first; you countered that by running, but that left Grevious out of the action for 2 turns at least. If he'd been placed with the vultures, he could have flanked up your left or joined the firing line to ensure better arc coverage.

Grievous was positioned how I typically played Wat, in a Maul/Wat/ESC Vulture list. It was more instinct than anything, with the goal of getting RAC and/or Rexlar to over commit to him and eat the swarm's salvo. I would bring him closer if I play this type of game again, for sure. He's actually one of the first two to shoot at Rexlar, but that's because of how I misplayed the opening engagement and is not indicative of an appropriate opening.

TLDR - I agree! Thanks!