Hello everyone!

Me and couple of my friends decided to start our adventure with Star Wars: Armada. Currently we are thinking about creating balanced small kit for rebels and imperials.

I've been thinking about this combination:

Imperials- ship from starting set + raider corvette and gladiator destroyer

Rebels- ships from starting set + liberty

Our budget is around 130$ in Poland this set would cost us 106$

Is this a good combination? If you have any other proposals, I will gladly hear them :)

Thanks in advance,

Nomadu

image.thumb.png.72cba897c4d9f79409f20ba5982f0064.png

Personally, I would strongly recommend an Arquitens before a Gladiator. The Gladiator comes with a particular title that will be rage inducing to people trying to learn the game. 

That would make your fleets:

Liberty/Neb/CR90

VSD/Raider/Arquitens

even-ish

Your commanders:

Tarkin/Jerjerrod/Ozzel

Dodonna/Rieekan

This is where the imbalance shows a bit. Dodonna and Rieekan are great. Tarkin and Ozzel are meh. Jerjerrod is a very nice boost to all three imp ships you would have. 

I just realised that instead of Liberty I could pick Home One with Ackbar.

Considering that Liberty is similiar to VSD I'am thinking about Ackbar's ship because it offers diffrent playstyle.

What do you guys think? I want those fleets to be slightly diffrent in playstyle, should I pick Home One instead of Liberty?

15 hours ago, Nomadu said:

What do you guys think? I want those fleets to be slightly diffrent in playstyle, should I pick Home One instead of Liberty?

I'd take the Home One, it's a bit easier to fly than the liberty IMO. The liberty is great but it requires a fair amount of skill to fly effectively whereas the Home One is relatively forgiving to new players.

15 hours ago, Nomadu said:

I just realised that instead of Liberty I could pick Home One with Ackbar.

Considering that Liberty is similiar to VSD I'am thinking about Ackbar's ship because it offers diffrent playstyle.

Home One PROs:
-very hard to kill (more so with "Advanced Projectors")
-good broadsides
-good carrier

Home One CONTRAs:
-doesn't really fits well together with Nebulon and CR90 (no broadside ships)
-you don't have squadrons for that carrier (buy squadron packs! see below)

Liberty PROs:
-fits well with Nebulon and CR90 (they like the same commanders, like Madine, Rieekan, Raddus, ...)

Liberty CONTRAs:
-quite easy to kill, if attacked from the side

Possible alternative: PROFUNDITY

BUT:
If you buy Victory, Raider and Arquitens/Gladiator for the Empire and Home One/Liberty/Profundity for the Rebels, than the Rebels will have the BIG ship and the Empire only small and middle. Does that FEEL like Star Wars?

EVEN BETTER:

In my eyes it's better to buy an Imperial Star Destroyer for the Empire. For the rebels buy a second CR90 (you can never have enough of this great and iconic ship) and any rebel-ship that looks cool. And a squadron pack 1 for both sides in any case!

Nobody is gonna say something about the Raider?

Do NOT get the Raider. It is not a bad ship, but it is by far the most difficult ship to play in the entire game. @Church14 recommanded not to get the Gladiator because it would make for a terrible experience for the rebel play. Well the Raider will make for an even worse experience for the imperial player.

I will in general have to disagree on not getting the Gladiator.

My first recommendation would be to get the ISD for the Empire and the MC80 Home one for the rebels. But if you want to go for two small ships for the Empire then definitely pick up a Gladiator and an Arquitens.