Herowannabe

KOTOR factions?

Posted (edited)

If rumors are to believed, the next Star Wars Trilogy will be based on Knights if the Old Republic. Which means at some point down the line FFG will likely be adding KOTOR factions to X-Wing. 

I never played KOTOR myself, but I imagine this will get a few people excited. ;)

Link:

https://www.fatherly.com/play/next-star-wars-movie-kotor-writer-laeta-kalogridis/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fbowned&utm_content=fatherly&fbclid=IwAR2SYm_4FNA3bZ8tJVjeWDsjSD2sQSq2ch-6baSsycOMkPd0haG1HHO3OdA

Edited by Herowannabe

It's gonna be awhile. Disney won't be fast tracking movies like they were originally. Pretty sure they said that after EP 9 they wanted to give it a rest for at least 2-3 years before a new movie comes out. Could be an interesting era to explore, but don't get too hyped just yet. If it's coming, it's a very long way out still.

16 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

Hmmm, It's somewhere they could go, but I'd rather they keep fleshing out the 7 existing factions for the next 2-3 years.

But I think it would be nice a bit later on :)

Yeah, what @Hippie Moosen said. I wouldn’t expect KOTOR movies- or factions- to show up for 2-3 years at the soonest. 

more factions is always better, I approve. 

I'd also be down for Legacy factions although the odds of that are about equal to the odds of the format for worlds being changed to first edition. :) 

I'm not opposed to KOTOR stuff, but I honestly think the future of SW is in the future, not the past. 

The past is either restrictive or prone to overwriting and making more people mad. 

The future (post Ep 9), is wide-open territory. 

...they might even bring back the Vong if the next trilogy is post-postquel. 

4 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Shh, don’t give FFG ideas. I was all for the prequel ships but we’re already up to 7 factions... how on earth would people keep up with 2 more?! 😧

That's cute. (Looking at Warhammer 40K.)

I'm all for more factions. The more the merrier. Tho i believe KOTOR factions will be for 3rd Edition.

13 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

If rumors are to believed, the next Star Wars Trilogy will be based on Knights if the Old Republic. Which means at some point down the line FFG will likely be adding KOTOR factions to X-Wing. 

I never played KOTOR myself, but I imagine this will get a few people excited. ;)

Link:

https://www.fatherly.com/play/next-star-wars-movie-kotor-writer-laeta-kalogridis/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fbowned&utm_content=fatherly&fbclid=IwAR2SYm_4FNA3bZ8tJVjeWDsjSD2sQSq2ch-6baSsycOMkPd0haG1HHO3OdA

Never played KOTOR!!  its STILL only one of the best games EVER.. graphics wise its dated but has a solid story line.. anyway we need HK-47 AND the Ebon Hawk!!!!  

13 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Shh, don’t give FFG ideas. I was all for the prequel ships but we’re already up to 7 factions... how on earth would people keep up with 2 more?! 😧

I guess you've never played Warhammer? XD
to be fair, it does feel like the more faction you have, the more dilluted they become and they can be harder to manage and balance. But let's give FFG a chance, they seem to be doing well for now! 

I understand how much everyone likes KOTOR, but it's left an awful feeling in my mouth ever since SWGOH made everything but KOTOR totally unplayable.

Also, I'm curious how they'll deal with the formerly-conflicting storylines and the new canon. Will the characters be the same or will they be renamed/rebranded (a la Jyn/Cassian for Jan/Kyle)?

IIRC, the new Thrawn series has a people group from the unknown regions (akin to the vong) but I forget what they're called. Instead of all organic tech, it's all electric-based. Could make for something interesting in the future, though I hope they don't lead to the utterly stupid "half the galaxy is destroyed" nonsense we had with the Vong. Kinda invalidates everything before then in terms of magnitude which is just silly to me.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Bucknife said:

I'm not opposed to KOTOR stuff, but I honestly think the future of SW is in the future, not the past. 

The past is either restrictive or prone to overwriting and making more people mad. 

The future (post Ep 9), is wide-open territory. 

...they might even bring back the Vong if the next trilogy is post-postquel. 

Heh.

I was doing just fine until your last sentence.  Then I got mad.

Vong my %$#@!

23 hours ago, Kieransi said:

more factions is always better, I approve. 

I'd also be down for Legacy factions although the odds of that are about equal to the odds of the format for worlds being changed to first edition. :) 

Right.  No reason not to consider the New Republic and Imperial Remnant as options!!

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:08 PM, Herowannabe said:

Yeah, what @Hippie Moosen said. I wouldn’t expect KOTOR movies- or factions- to show up for 2-3 years at the soonest. 

But serious, this.

23 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Unfortunately, I think FO and Resistance are going to become dead-end factions.  With no movies after 9, and the Resistance cartoon not bringing much to the table that I can tell, FFG is going to be hard-pressed to keep the pseudo-Imps and pseudo-Rebels flush with new options.

I don't know how much material is available for KOTOR, but I suspect it's more than FO and Resistance have.

OTOH, New Republic and Imperial Remnant could become sub-factions of Resistance and FO, I suppose.

Edited by Darth Meanie

34 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Unfortunately, I think FO and Resistance are going to become dead-end factions.

I very much hope you’re wrong, but I’ve begun to fear you might be right. Resistance also seems like a dead-end faction from a story perspective, as well; given the compressed timeline that TFA & TLJ seem to occupy, “The Resistance” seems likely to end up as: “Hey remember that time when the FO invaded and we scrambled some ships but we all died? Good times, bra. Good times.”

At least the FO presumably had to build, equip, & train themselves over a long time, slowly agitating against the light from within the darkness. I could see potential there for expansion. But even if FO never get another ship, I think they’ll still be fun and characterful on the tabletop.

(With apologies to Resistance fans... which I assume must be a thing?)

5 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Unfortunately, I think FO and Resistance are going to become dead-end factions.  With no movies after 9, and the Resistance cartoon not bringing much to the table that I can tell, FFG is going to be hard-pressed to keep the pseudo-Imps and pseudo-Rebels flush with new options.

I don't know how much material is available for KOTOR, but I suspect it's more than FO and Resistance have.

OTOH, New Republic and Imperial Remnant could become sub-factions of Resistance and FO, I suppose.

FFG can always simply, make something up.

we're still missing several ships from current factions, not to mention that that mandalorian and most likely the cassian show are going to give us even more. 

we're YEARS from seeing a single piece of Kotor content here. 

On 5/29/2019 at 7:59 PM, CoffeeMinion said:

FFG very specifically said they want people to be able to focus on only one faction. That being said they must do a much better job at making faction specific upgrades or making generic upgrades a lot more accessible so people don't have to purchase multiple factions to get the upgrades in a timely manner. 

On 5/29/2019 at 7:59 PM, CoffeeMinion said:

Same way i kept up with 3..?

at least for now we are getting a very slow content drip and i am spending way less keeping up 7 factions then 3...  2-3 new ships a wave right now is a lot less than there used to be.

We might get factions from that era, but not the characters, ships, and factions people are thinking. It will all be stuff from new canon, so none of the ships from the comics, KOTOR or SWTOR games would likely be included at all, let alone the characters. Hopefully the films will be good though and offer more stuff for the game and for people to enjoy. 

9 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

We might get factions from that era, but not the characters, ships, and factions people are thinking. It will all be stuff from new canon, so none of the ships from the comics, KOTOR or SWTOR games would likely be included at all, let alone the characters. Hopefully the films will be good though and offer more stuff for the game and for people to enjoy. 

Speaking of games, still waiting for them to announce the Rogue Shadow. (I think that was the name, the one from force unleashed.)