Sign in to follow this  
BlastyMcBlasterFace

2 Jedi + 2 Gold Archetype: Anakin or Obi-Wan?

So I gave this archetype a spin last night and was pleasantly surprised.  I had Anakin+Mace, and they both had R2 on them.

I barely lost, and afterwards I thought it might of been because I disengaged Mace to regen instead of knife-fighting with him.  It just seems his ability really wants to stay in the fight, but also in this beefy meta he wants regen.  Then I thought I could accomplish this in a way if I replaced Anakin with Obi Wan.  That gives me the points to put R4 and a Shield Upgrade on Mace, and still have a 4 point bid.

It also balances out the squad more as well, with Obi-Wan being 74 points and Mace sitting at 72.

My local meta is also more beefy than it is acey (I think every meta is right now?), so this feels like a solid choice.  I double-clutch though because I can't remember seeing this on List Fortress.

Thoughts?

I tried this archetype the other day, it was a lot of fun.  I'd stick with Ani over Ben.  I6 is powerful just because of the possibility of initiative killing the numerous I5s that are popular.

Personal preference, but I prefer the R4-P mechs on Mace. P17 for that turn shenanigans, -P to give me a completely open dial next turn.

Mace is a beat stick. Doing a sloop to take a lock and fire a fully modded shot can punch through damage. 

1 minute ago, millertime059 said:

Personal preference, but I prefer the R4-P mechs on Mace. P17 for that turn shenanigans, -P to give me a completely open dial next turn.

Mace is a beat stick. Doing a sloop to take a lock and fire a fully modded shot can punch through damage. 

Agreed.  

If you had to choose between the two though.....?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

-P to give me a completely open dial next turn.

I had questioned that before. You had my attention, but by now you are beyond only interest because it's so cool. The only problem for me is the complete lack of a bid.

Edited by GreenDragoon

6 minutes ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

Agreed.  

If you had to choose between the two though.....?

R4-P17 is always my first choice on Mace, unless it is in use elsewhere already. But the only pilot that gets higher priority is Anakin for me. So in a Mace Anakin list I give Ani the 17, Mace the P.

I’m an aggressive player, preferring to rely on my maneuvers and positioning rather than regen. And with the Delta I feel comfortable with the ability to sloop into a location and stay engaged while not taking shots, rather than disengage to regen, then come back for a joust. I find that the benefit of regen is offset by the time it gives my opponent to reset to get shots. Not being shot> regen for me.

Now you may notice that my method doesn’t leave room for 2 Goldie’s. It’s true. It’s where Sense on Mace and a 104th slots for me. Yes, I run the full 200. I’m a rebel like that 😉

6 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I had questioned that before. You had my attention, but by now you are beyond only interest because it's so cool. The only problem for me is the complete lack of a bid.

It’s my style. I’m completely comfortable moving first. In fact last night I played a game where I was moving a ship last (with Old T) for the first time in over a month. I think I had first player in 95% of my games in that span. I simply do not care, and will try and win anyhow. Usually fairly successfully too.

But I also reject the I5/6 meta, and fly mostly I4 and below ships anyhow. My favorite list currently is 4 Empire I4’s with no bid. And no, not that one. All four pilots are very different.

So it’s a matter of taste.

4 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

R4-P17 is always my first choice on Mace, unless it is in use elsewhere already. But the only pilot that gets higher priority is Anakin for me. So in a Mace Anakin list I give Ani the 17, Mace the P.

I’m an aggressive player, preferring to rely on my maneuvers and positioning rather than regen. And with the Delta I feel comfortable with the ability to sloop into a location and stay engaged while not taking shots, rather than disengage to regen, then come back for a joust. I find that the benefit of regen is offset by the time it gives my opponent to reset to get shots. Not being shot> regen for me.

Now you may notice that my method doesn’t leave room for 2 Goldie’s. It’s true. It’s where Sense on Mace and a 104th slots for me. Yes, I run the full 200. I’m a rebel like that 😉

It’s my style. I’m completely comfortable moving first. In fact last night I played a game where I was moving a ship last (with Old T) for the first time in over a month. I think I had first player in 95% of my games in that span. I simply do not care, and will try and win anyhow. Usually fairly successfully too.

But I also reject the I5/6 meta, and fly mostly I4 and below ships anyhow. My favorite list currently is 4 Empire I4’s with no bid. And no, not that one. All four pilots are very different.

So it’s a matter of taste.

Interesting.

I don't mind moving first, I do like second better.

In light of that, how do you feel about Obi Wan over Anakin for more points?

5 minutes ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

Interesting.

I don't mind moving first, I do like second better.

In light of that, how do you feel about Obi Wan over Anakin for more points?

I like Obi Wan’s ability a lot. I probably run R2 on Obi Wan then. 

I think there are merits to each way, it comes down to a level of personal taste and comfort. I really like Sense on Mace, it really helps alleviate some of the I4 limits. Spend a force to look at the opponents I6, do sloop, regain force, then use P17 to take an action to reposition (if needed) or lock (if not, and you can hammer them).

But it favors an aggressive player. It doesn’t fit the type of ‘do half damage on one ship, then run to time’ so often seen. So if you aren’t that type of player, keep that in mind. Obi Wan plays well with a more defensive style. Anakin aggressive.

I don’t think any of them is a bad call. Two Jedi, an Arc or two Torrents? You almost can’t pick a wrong answer there. Just know what they want to fly like, and if you are comfortable in that style.

Happy hunting.

I've been running this in casual games, as I wanted something different to fly, and impulse purchased an aethersprite and guardians pack :)

Manny

(60) Anakin Skywalker [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(18) Delta-7B
(5) R4-P17

(46) Mace Windu [Delta-7 Aethersprite]
(16) Delta-7B

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

(25) Gold Squadron Trooper [V-19 Torrent Starfighter]

Total points: 195

I personally dislike regen, so dont wanna use it, R4-P17 is just so fun on Anakin for 3 actions a turn after doing a red, twice per game.

I'd consider Obiwan over mace, but would always take Anakin over Obiwan. I6 is just too strong. You can fit Anakin, Obiwan and an Arc with a few points for toys if you wish.

5 hours ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

So I gave this archetype a spin last night and was pleasantly surprised.  I had Anakin+Mace, and they both had R2 on them.

I barely lost, and afterwards I thought it might of been because I disengaged Mace to regen instead of knife-fighting with him.  It just seems his ability really wants to stay in the fight, but also in this beefy meta he wants regen.  Then I thought I could accomplish this in a way if I replaced Anakin with Obi Wan.  That gives me the points to put R4 and a Shield Upgrade on Mace, and still have a 4 point bid.

It also balances out the squad more as well, with Obi-Wan being 74 points and Mace sitting at 72.

My local meta is also more beefy than it is acey (I think every meta is right now?), so this feels like a solid choice.  I double-clutch though because I can't remember seeing this on List Fortress.

Thoughts?

Your thoughts are the exact reason i took Mace with R4-P17, he wants to stay in the fight imho.

The two Rebel Beef i met in tournaments so far i managed to win.

Kill Wedge, keep Mace alive, get points with Ani. Both ended like 100 to 50 for me. (two torrents vs Wedge + something)

6 hours ago, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

I barely lost, and afterwards I thought it might of been because I disengaged Mace to regen instead of knife-fighting with him. 

Ive seen that term before and dont know what it is. What does knife-fighting mean?

As someone who recognizes the power of the delta as an arcdodger but is still named ficklegreendice... modsmodsmodsmods

Course you're playing a list with only two ships expected to do any sort of heavy lifting, so you're basically shackled to Anakin. 

I've never felt inadequate with running only Lumy/Mace and their troupe of Arcs, but of course getting mobbed without your lovely, medium base screen is gonna kill ya with or without Obi Wan focus 

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

As someone who recognizes the power of the delta as an arcdodger but is still named ficklegreendice... modsmodsmodsmods

Fickle, I think you ought to change your name to HeroicBanshee and call it a day. 

Just fly Resistance. ;)

2 minutes ago, FriendofYoda said:

I’m curious as to why people feel HP is staples to Mace? Is he init killing 5-6 stuff with it?

And other 4s, which there are a lot in the rebel beef lists right now. You don't use it early on, but to either kill ships or to get one last shot in before you go. And since he regens force on reds he can get back to full force faster to make better use of HP.

23 hours ago, millertime059 said:

I’m an aggressive player, preferring to rely on my maneuvers and positioning rather than regen

I'm similar and resisted for awhile, running everything but R2 my first 10-15 games with deltas. But after seeing that %80+ of the deltas making the cut were running R2 I caved, and now totally agree that its the solitary correct choice for 7B upgrade. Basically you have 3 T-65s worth of beef, amazing repo can go a long way, but isn't quite enough to fill in the gap. R2 (and R2's synergy with amazing repo) is the most robust path to the top tables with these ships.

14 hours ago, FriendofYoda said:

I’m curious as to why people feel HP is staples to Mace? Is he init killing 5-6 stuff with it?

If you can pop a focus off of Vader or Fel before they engage that can make a difference in their attack or defense vs other other attacks.  It also makes it so that he *can't* get init killed by something if he HP's up and Ani can knock them off the board before they shoot (anything i5 or below).

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, prauxim said:

I'm similar and resisted for awhile, running everything but R2 my first 10-15 games with deltas. But after seeing that %80+ of the deltas making the cut were running R2 I caved, and now totally agree that its the solitary correct choice for 7B upgrade. Basically you have 3 T-65s worth of beef, amazing repo can go a long way, but isn't quite enough to fill in the gap. R2 (and R2's synergy with amazing repo) is the most robust path to the top tables with these ships.

Yep, R2s not only provide a lot for a little they also shift the meta game in a tournament.   I've been running R2 and Anakin with a shield upgrade, changing the threshold for scoring points, requiring an opponent to get six damage before they even score half points - never mind trying to take him off the board.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:14 AM, BlastyMcBlasterFace said:

If your local meta doesn't have a lot of fives or sixes, Ani doesn't give you much over Obi-wan, as Kenobi's ability is just stronger.     At to the second statement, I'd ignore that and play what you think.   I love meta-wing/List Fortress, but it doesn't really do much to help isolated metas individually It is a resource, not an answer.

Edited by AlexW