Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Da_Brown_Bomber

Cobra Kai Squad - Asajj, Fenn & Recruit

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Cobra Kai Squad

Asajj Ventress (76)    

    Heightened Perception (3)    
    Shadow Caster (6)      
    
Zealous Recruit (44)       
    
Fenn Rau (68)    
    Swarm Tactics (3)       
    
Total: 200    
    
View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v6!s=200!125:72,,,,,160:;102::;97:132,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

this squad has a chance to initiative kill a select target if u can get 3 shots coordinated 'Strike first, strike fast, show no mercy!' If Asajj gets in a hit first, the tractor token will set up fenn and recruit for a the followup killing attack. At least in paper ;)

Fenn and Recruit can flank from one wing and Asajj can draw enemy fire and use her force to soak up some early damage while Fenn & Recruit set up their approach.

thoughts?

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Asajj squad - Double Shadowcasters... a bit more durable than the Cobra Kai squad but has less firepower. Thoughts?

Asajj Ventress (76)    
    Hate (3)    
    
Ship total: 79  Half Points: 40  Threshold: 5    
    
Ketsu Onyo (70)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (11)    
    Shadow Caster (6)    
    
Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 5    
    
Lando Calrissian (Scum) (Escape Craft) (29)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
    
Ship total: 31  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 2    
    
    
Total: 200    
    
View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v6!s=200!125:204,,,,,:;126:121,48,,,,160:;93:,61,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Another Asajj squad - Double Shadowcasters... a bit more durable than the Cobra Kai squad but has less firepower. Thoughts?

Asajj Ventress (76)    
    Hate (3)    
    
Ship total: 79  Half Points: 40  Threshold: 5    
    
Ketsu Onyo (70)    
    Fearless (3)    
    Maul (11)    
    Shadow Caster (6)    
    
Ship total: 90  Half Points: 45  Threshold: 5    
    
Lando Calrissian (Scum) (Escape Craft) (29)    
    Tactical Officer (2)    
    
Ship total: 31  Half Points: 16  Threshold: 2    
    
    
Total: 200    
    
View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Scum and Villainy&d=v6!s=200!125:204,,,,,:;126:121,48,,,,160:;93:,61,:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Just wondering in maul can be split up for one crew on each lancer. Don't know if it is better, but Latts Razzi on Asajj and IG-88D on Ketsu would fit

 

Since I am a fan of the Perceptive copilot, my double lancer list would feature Ketsu with title and copilot, Sabine with copilot and a third ship I am not sure about yet. Maybe a totally overcostet Lando? Captain Jostero for the odd tractor-on-stone-damage? 

Edited by flooze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousin is using Ketsu (fearless and title) Teroch (fearless) and Nym (seismics, vet gunner, dorsal, fearless) and totally tearing enemy lists apart. He is a really good player and he used a 92p Ketsu/Fenn list in 1.0 which was also brutal, so he knows what he is doing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoockieBoy said:

My cousin is using Ketsu (fearless and title) Teroch (fearless) and Nym (seismics, vet gunner, dorsal, fearless) and totally tearing enemy lists apart. He is a really good player and he used a 92p Ketsu/Fenn list in 1.0 which was also brutal, so he knows what he is doing...

looks brutal. double taps from nym and an agile flanker with Old T. i like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

looks brutal. double taps from nym and an agile flanker with Old T. i like it.

It has some neat tricks, like last game where he tractored his own ship (Teroch) to move him forward and put him in R1 in arc of a fully tokened Whisper, removing both focus and evade from her, and -1 green isn’t too bad when you’re adding an evade via concord dawn... amazing tricks can be done with that list. Whisper died that turn, in case you were wondering...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RoockieBoy said:

My cousin is using Ketsu (fearless and title) Teroch (fearless) and Nym (seismics, vet gunner, dorsal, fearless) and totally tearing enemy lists apart. He is a really good player and he used a 92p Ketsu/Fenn list in 1.0 which was also brutal, so he knows what he is doing...

I like that. Theory crafted something similar with Kavil instead of nym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh. My.

Not looked at the Shadowcaster, don't have one. Huge fan of Swarm Fang and Recruit and very much enticed by some of these shenanigans.

Maybe switching next purchase away from YV....

In fact, Swarm Fenn also allows Ketsu to shoot 1st and will also not terribly mind being tractored to R1 of a -1ag ship.

Edited by Cuz05

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Oh. My.

Not looked at the Shadowcaster, don't have one. Huge fan of Swarm Fang and Recruit and very much enticed by some of these shenanigans.

Maybe switching next purchase away from YV....

In fact, Swarm Fenn also allows Ketsu to shoot 1st and will also not terribly mind being tractored to R1 of a -1ag ship.

i think scum needs to morph into something that can deal with enemy ace pilots. vader, soontir, wedge, Kylo and Poe are just so strong right now. My Cobra squad can attack on int 7,6,6 which is going to stop init 5 pilots in their tracks and at very least allow a simultaneous exchange of fire with the pilots I listed here... something they might think twice about before coming in to range 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

i think scum needs to morph into something that can deal with enemy ace pilots. vader, soontir, wedge, Kylo and Poe are just so strong right now. My Cobra squad can attack on int 7,6,6 which is going to stop init 5 pilots in their tracks and at very least allow a simultaneous exchange of fire with the pilots I listed here... something they might think twice about before coming in to range 2.

We've had a play with this at home and really enjoyed it. So much so, I have a Lancer off one of our squad now and will likely try it out properly on Thursday.

The Swarm/HP Alpha is incredibly brutal. I want to put my own twist on it but I feel like this just nails it :D

I have just had a play with 000 added to Asajj, with Teroch and Kad Solus. Subs the Alpha for some, well, janky nonsense. I imagine constantly asking your opponent if they want stress won't get irritating.

Kad seems fun. I have a sort of common ploy with the twin Fangs, in certain situations, an obvious one. After engaging, Fenn turns out to stay safe and come around again. The Recruit talon rolls, to stay blocking and shooting. Latter role suits Kad down to the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the Lancer and Fangs for a couple games tonight. Flew it quite badly and then rolled horrible dice, so didn't fare well :D

Still @Da_Brown_Bomber, your Cobra Kai definitely seems a good way to go, we were all quite impressed by the build.

Played Whisper and RAC. Opponent is a canny fellow and turned RAC into a massive roadblock with Whispers decloaks as blocks and Dauntless. Vader and Prox mines pretty much did all his damage, which was enough. Fangs threatened Whisper into a corner and then I turned all guns on RAC. Between the reinforce, not great dice, shots lost on bumps, a couple red moves costing actions and a disengage for the recruit, I just didn't get much done. I did get the 1-2 sucker punch from R2 Asajj, R1 Fenn into Whisper. But Fenn whiffed it. Twice.

I've struggled with Fangs against large bases in general though. Getting R1 on them with a boost normally ends with nowhere good to go on a blue move. I oversold my lunge on Whisper and had to boost in on RAC. Went downhill from there.

But the 2nd game really kinda did come down to dice, it was a good match. Tried a weird build against Maarek, Vader and Soontir.

Ketsu, Fearless, Zuckuss, Baffle, Title.

Teroch, Fearless.

Kad Solus, Elusive.

Ketsu intentionally took a gas cloud on approach but had to move off it next turn, which cost her a vital action, slight fudge on the lateral distance of the move on my part. Completely forgot Zuckuss and possibly an instance of Fearless, would've made a difference.

Elusive Kad I have to try more. Seems great. Bit pricey compared to Teroch.

Did really well though. Ketsu knocked a flanking Soontir silly on the 1st engagement, tractoring him off an attack, across debris and into Terochs arc. He ended up with Damaged Sensor Array which both of us promptly forgot about. Lost a couple shields off Ketsu from Soontir. Vader got nothing on distant Teroch.

Kad successfully scooted round the x1s for an unanswered focussed R1 shot on Maarek, a nice 3 bank from Ketsu for a R2, got 1 shield off him. Teroch covered Soontir, stressed and having to cross debris. Opponent surprised me with a 3 hard into him, which kept him safe. Vader slapped all the damage into Ketsu.

Unfolded in a similar vein for the next 2 turns. Vader took a considerable punch on the nose, Maarek got slapped, but Soontir rolling natty evades to survive on just 2 greens (Ketsu), kept him alive. No evades at all for Kad and Ketsu, maybe 1 in 16? Concord and Elusive doing their magic, was not enough. 

Then Teroch had nowhere to go.

I really have to blame my lack of focus tokens at key times, I did roll a couple eyes..... maybe not enough :D

Moves were good, had everyone in good places all the time, but sacrificed mods too much, never managed the TL I was looking for from Ketsu, which is safer with Asajj. The disengagements to set things up were riskier than trading dice, I felt. Particularly since I managed to finangle several shots without lock from Vader and Maarek and had Mr Fel in dire straits.

Could have gone either way though, which is very positive, against a good player with a good squad.

What got me thinking was how the Asajj version would have done. It may have had a fair chance of netting me an Init kill on Maarek. Kad also died as he lined up a R1 potential kill shot on Vader. The force from Asajj would have been a significant weapon.

Ironically, I thought. The janky version really feels like it would have fared better in the other game, it has more play on the dials. Need to improve on my match ups :D

The main thing though, I got my set up right in the 2nd game and want to try and apply it the Asajj build now. Feels potent. The triggers are very simple too, which would have served me well with Ketsu....

Things absolutely have to burn down fast though, I can't even imagine how to play cagey with it. Which makes AlphAsajj a good call, I think. Nail a fast, sliding approach, massacre something. Leave a little bit of room to move.

I owe you a thanks for switching me on to the Lancer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

I owe you a thanks for switching me on to the Lancer :)

Couldn’t agree more, I flew a Ketsu (Fearless, Perspective Co-pilot, Title), Old T (Fearless), and Talonbane Cobra (Fearless) 199 pt list this past weekend and fell back in love with the Lancer. The Lancer did some serious work but with all ships being I5 it really give you the freedom to move however you want. TBC was the weak link but it did nuke my opponents ship with a massive 5 dice Range 1 focused attack... Fearless put it over the top. The only thing I would reconsider with putting Predator on both Old T and TBC for the reroll. 

Edited by MUrunner20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

Took the Lancer and Fangs for a couple games tonight. Flew it quite badly and then rolled horrible dice, so didn't fare well :D

Still @Da_Brown_Bomber, your Cobra Kai definitely seems a good way to go, we were all quite impressed by the build.

Played Whisper and RAC. Opponent is a canny fellow and turned RAC into a massive roadblock with Whispers decloaks as blocks and Dauntless. Vader and Prox mines pretty much did all his damage, which was enough. Fangs threatened Whisper into a corner and then I turned all guns on RAC. Between the reinforce, not great dice, shots lost on bumps, a couple red moves costing actions and a disengage for the recruit, I just didn't get much done. I did get the 1-2 sucker punch from R2 Asajj, R1 Fenn into Whisper. But Fenn whiffed it. Twice.

I've struggled with Fangs against large bases in general though. Getting R1 on them with a boost normally ends with nowhere good to go on a blue move. I oversold my lunge on Whisper and had to boost in on RAC. Went downhill from there.

But the 2nd game really kinda did come down to dice, it was a good match. Tried a weird build against Maarek, Vader and Soontir.

Ketsu, Fearless, Zuckuss, Baffle, Title.

Teroch, Fearless.

Kad Solus, Elusive.

Ketsu intentionally took a gas cloud on approach but had to move off it next turn, which cost her a vital action, slight fudge on the lateral distance of the move on my part. Completely forgot Zuckuss and possibly an instance of Fearless, would've made a difference.

Elusive Kad I have to try more. Seems great. Bit pricey compared to Teroch.

Did really well though. Ketsu knocked a flanking Soontir silly on the 1st engagement, tractoring him off an attack, across debris and into Terochs arc. He ended up with Damaged Sensor Array which both of us promptly forgot about. Lost a couple shields off Ketsu from Soontir. Vader got nothing on distant Teroch.

Kad successfully scooted round the x1s for an unanswered focussed R1 shot on Maarek, a nice 3 bank from Ketsu for a R2, got 1 shield off him. Teroch covered Soontir, stressed and having to cross debris. Opponent surprised me with a 3 hard into him, which kept him safe. Vader slapped all the damage into Ketsu.

Unfolded in a similar vein for the next 2 turns. Vader took a considerable punch on the nose, Maarek got slapped, but Soontir rolling natty evades to survive on just 2 greens (Ketsu), kept him alive. No evades at all for Kad and Ketsu, maybe 1 in 16? Concord and Elusive doing their magic, was not enough. 

Then Teroch had nowhere to go.

I really have to blame my lack of focus tokens at key times, I did roll a couple eyes..... maybe not enough :D

Moves were good, had everyone in good places all the time, but sacrificed mods too much, never managed the TL I was looking for from Ketsu, which is safer with Asajj. The disengagements to set things up were riskier than trading dice, I felt. Particularly since I managed to finangle several shots without lock from Vader and Maarek and had Mr Fel in dire straits.

Could have gone either way though, which is very positive, against a good player with a good squad.

What got me thinking was how the Asajj version would have done. It may have had a fair chance of netting me an Init kill on Maarek. Kad also died as he lined up a R1 potential kill shot on Vader. The force from Asajj would have been a significant weapon.

Ironically, I thought. The janky version really feels like it would have fared better in the other game, it has more play on the dials. Need to improve on my match ups :D

The main thing though, I got my set up right in the 2nd game and want to try and apply it the Asajj build now. Feels potent. The triggers are very simple too, which would have served me well with Ketsu....

Things absolutely have to burn down fast though, I can't even imagine how to play cagey with it. Which makes AlphAsajj a good call, I think. Nail a fast, sliding approach, massacre something. Leave a little bit of room to move.

I owe you a thanks for switching me on to the Lancer :)

nice, im gonna roll with Cobra Kai this wknd at a sml local event. i havent played it yet myself, just theory crafted it a few wks ago but i am familiar with fangs and shadowcaster.

It will take some luck and skill to do well with list. ur moving first with recruit at init 1 and then asajj at init 4 so thats before other aces. So they will get to reposition before fenn (or even after him in they are using init 6 ace). This means recruit and probably asajj will be potential blockers most games. My gameplan will be to aggressively block with  recruit and set up asajj to disrupt their range with tractoring a target into close range, onto obstacles if available or into the path of fenns guns. 

let u know how i get on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Linked this thread to a friend. The guy's been down on the Lancer since the version shift. Hopefully this perks him back up.

Due to the mobile arc being weaker, it is no longer the gunship it used to be, circling around the battlefield and pulling shots in. It is more the full on jouster now imo. 

Can understand that this change can throw someone off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:01 AM, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Cobra Kai Squad

Automatically rejected due to not containing Talonbane Cobra. :D

Using Asajj to get I7 in your squad is a nice cheap option, and a clever one - and makes shadow caster much nicer since in theory you can drag someone into range 1 before Fenn and his buddy engage.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, Cuz05 said:

The Recruit talon rolls, to stay blocking and shooting. Latter role suits Kad down to the ground.

I can wholeheartedly support Elusive Kad Solus. Being able to turn or roll and having a defensive focus (without burning your offensive focus) plus a defensive reroll plus potentially Concordia face-off verges on the stupid, given that red end-around moves are normally when tokenless pilots get killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I can wholeheartedly support Elusive Kad Solus. Being able to turn or roll and having a defensive focus (without burning your offensive focus) plus a defensive reroll plus potentially Concordia face-off verges on the stupid, given that red end-around moves are normally when tokenless pilots get killed.

I'm trying now to work him into the squad with Asajj, but points are so tight.

The Alpha version has a strong edge but having the 2 Fangs tied together for it is a little limiting, with a big ship in there. I love the Swarm Fang pair with a more mobile 3rd ship like Guri or Boba, but it's a bit awkward to fly with the Lancer.

Like Bomber says, achieving the wombo combo combined attack against aces is tricky, since Asajj probably won't hit a lot of the time, even if she has arc. Against generic spam, its obviously less effective to just wipe one out than it is to get good position.

So, moving parts around, sacrificing 1st strike for a more flexible approach. Less immediate threat but easier to fly.

(56) Old Teroch [Fang Fighter] Points: 56

(76) Asajj Ventress [Lancer-class Pursuit Craft] (6) Shadow Caster (3) Heightened Perception. Points: 85

(54) Kad Solus [Fang Fighter] (3) Elusive. Points: 57

Total points: 198

Curse you FFG, Fearless on Teroch and I'm much happier. Maybe Predator. Maybe Baffle on Asajj for the slow move after a 5k, could be very useful, if risky. Would have saved her eating a pair of Proxies last night and been a solid trade on damage. Maybe just the mostly pointless tiny bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cuz05 said:

Fearless on Teroch and I'm much happier. Maybe Predator.

Whilst I had a debate with @Kleeg005 about predator versus fearless on Fenn Rau, I think it's much less arguable on Old Teroch, since he needs to be 'visible' to an opponent to trigger his ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Whilst I had a debate with @Kleeg005 about predator versus fearless on Fenn Rau, I think it's much less arguable on Old Teroch, since he needs to be 'visible' to an opponent to trigger his ability.

Could not agree more. If the Lancer gets a little reduction in the next update, its game on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

This means recruit and probably asajj will be potential blockers most games. My gameplan will be to aggressively block with  recruit and set up asajj to disrupt their range with tractoring a target into close range, onto obstacles if available or into the path of fenns guns. 

let u know how i get on.

A neat part of the 1st to fire tractor effect is that you can block with the recruit, then move the blockee away so he can still shoot it. 

Didn't come up last night but it doesn't seem that difficult to set up.

Did have a shot on Maarek that, if it had hit, I could have moved him closer to Teroch and denied him the shot that killed Ketsu. This after Kad (in the recruit role) blocked him.

Partly why Ketsu is a nice option for the tractor effect. Same turn, with her ability, she moved Soontir from beside Kad and into his arc at R1.

Asajj needs her attack to hit, but force + lock helps there and gets more value from the title, with its extra range. The differences between how the 2 play are really quite interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cuz05 said:

A neat part of the 1st to fire tractor effect is that you can block with the recruit, then move the blockee away so he can still shoot it. 

Didn't come up last night but it doesn't seem that difficult to set up.

Did have a shot on Maarek that, if it had hit, I could have moved him closer to Teroch and denied him the shot that killed Ketsu. This after Kad (in the recruit role) blocked him.

Partly why Ketsu is a nice option for the tractor effect. Same turn, with her ability, she moved Soontir from beside Kad and into his arc at R1.

Asajj needs her attack to hit, but force + lock helps there and gets more value from the title, with its extra range. The differences between how the 2 play are really quite interesting.

good points. im interested to see how hard it will be to get shots on aces. this is going to be a steep learning curve as to how i set up my approach. i could even slow roll all 3 ships in formation depending on what im up against. dunno. will have to adapt on the fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

battle report.

went 3-1 with Cobra Kai sqd. it was solid. lost to a skilled player with ankin, windu and two torrents. was close loss but i was overly agressive with fenn and it cost me. 

games were vs scum, imperials and two jedi lists. imperials was low init janky and surprisingly good.

best game was vs another scum list using fenn. he had initiative, my fenn blocks his, asajj  shoots at init 7 and tractors his fen into my fenns front arc and he didnt get arc on mine. brilliant! his fenn died horribly and didnt get to return fire. Ouch.

i tried to keep my ships in formation early to maximise swarm tactics and firepower.

pretty happy with the list overall and placed second from seven players.

not sure what changes id make if any. swarm tactics wasnt triggered as often as expected but i havent had many games with it yet.

 

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Swarm tactics wasnt triggered as often as expected but i havent had many games with it yet.

 

Well done on the results, good to hear.

I don't tend to trigger swarm an awful lot when I fly the Fang pair, some games more than others ofc. But even if it's only a couple of times, its often crucial.

What I like with it is that you can hand it off to the 3rd ship on occasion. My game the other day, the Recruit blocking outside R1, I had Asajj shoot 1st with it, saving her force to stick a 2nd stress on the Decimator.

Main thing is, I can't really think of anything else I'd spend the points on that has as much of a potential impact.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think u need a plan vs opponents init 5 aces. this squad has that. i think with more practice ill start to leverage the firepower there. i think even ketsu/title paired with swarm tactics/fenn might be solid. asajj with force tokens or ketsu/perceptive copilot? i like how force tokens can be used even while ur stressed or when u get blocked u still get a modded shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...