Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

Limit hull shield to 33 for tournament

6 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I believe that the original game that totally wasn't ripped off to become X-wing used cards instead of dice, which is one of the leading reasons for it avoiding being sued for copyright infringement?

I've checked and my dice rolling is totally average, by the way. It's just not average about *when* I roll well or badly. Cards wouldn't actually help with this, just remove some of my whinging!

they licensed Wings of War - I bet those guys feel bad selling their idea for peanuts

4 hours ago, KiAdiMoody said:

6 Y-Wings can carry 30 damage cards before one of them dies. Add Hull Upgrades on 4 of them and they can carry 34.

And if you somehow have all your y-wing at exactly one hull left, you have no more card to distribute. By the rules of the game, you are now *I N V I N C I B L E*. You automatically win each game you can currently see from your position, and you get your very own y-wing replica, life sized.

I swear, it's how the rule goes!

sarcasm aside, I really want someone to try and make it happen, if only for the massive lol factor.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Gilarius said:

I believe that the original game that totally wasn't ripped off to become X-wing used cards instead of dice, which is one of the leading reasons for it avoiding being sued for copyright infringement?

Board game mechanics are not subject to copyright. (They can be patented, but that's rare.) Designers can sue, but they face an uphill battle even when things are directly copied.

Here's one of Wings of War's designer's take on it:

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?11739-X-wing-miniatures-A-quot-Clone-quot-War&s=5371920c5376c981508ccbdb903a442b&p=169119&viewfull=1#post169119

Keep in mind he's speculating. We don't know for sure that avoiding legal action is the main reason, or even a reason, that X-wing combat uses dice.

Edited by Quarrel