Sign in to follow this  
JimbonX

Limit hull shield to 33 for tournament

Posted (edited)

I don't see how this would make the game more balanced, only punish players choosing to play a 'heavy' list.

Such lists are usually trading firepower, agility and initiative for staying power, so hard-capping the amount of health your list has limits the design space for the game. 

Also, damage cards from destroyed ships get recycled into a new damage deck should a player run out, so there isn't even a problem.

Edited by AceDogbert
Extra!

1 hour ago, JimbonX said:

You're list is limited to number of damage cards. Some list has more then 33 damage point like 3 Scuurg and scum Y-Wing Drea. By limiting to "hull + shield can't excited 33" lists won't be unbreakable... Also morebalanced. 

This shows a clear lack of reading the rulebook about how damage cards on destroyed ships are handled.

Not to mention a distinct lack of understanding of how shields work.

10 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

...dangit

My personal preference would be to use a card deck with an average number of hits, focuses, crits, and evades in. Draw from the pile, have to have average overall results. Problem with that would be card-counters knowing what's left. But those of us who can never roll well would still do better than we do now!

So, let's say we limited a list to 33 health, or even 33 hull (not counting shields)...

...what happens when ships get overkilled?  We've all seen that ship with one hull left take two or three (or more) cards in the process of dying.

...what about regen?  Do we start to ban that because it breaks the 33 damage threshold?

And I'm sure we'd have to ban Tel Trevura and Maarek Stele, as their abilities mess with the damage deck...

7 hours ago, Gilarius said:

My personal preference would be to use a card deck with an average number of hits, focuses, crits, and evades in. Draw from the pile, have to have average overall results. Problem with that would be card-counters knowing what's left. But those of us who can never roll well would still do better than we do now!

Real talk for a minute, you can use card decks to eliminate dice and still keep some lack of certainty/randomness to the game. Gloomhaven is a very popular diceless boardgame that uses a deck of cards to determine the results of attack, for example.

5 hours ago, kris40k said:

Real talk for a minute, you can use card decks to eliminate dice and still keep some lack of certainty/randomness to the game. Gloomhaven is a very popular diceless boardgame that uses a deck of cards to determine the results of attack, for example.

I believe that the original game that totally wasn't ripped off to become X-wing used cards instead of dice, which is one of the leading reasons for it avoiding being sued for copyright infringement?

I've checked and my dice rolling is totally average, by the way. It's just not average about *when* I roll well or badly. Cards wouldn't actually help with this, just remove some of my whinging!

Posted (edited)

The only observation. Is there any squad which can realistically exhaust a damage deck without losing a ship and shuffling a load of damage cards back into the deck? Maybe 8 x V-19 Torrents?

Edited by Magnus Grendel

34 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The only observation. Is there any squad which can realistically exhaust a damage deck without losing a ship and shuffling a load of damage cards back into the deck? Maybe 8 x V-19 Torrents?

8 V19s can carry 32 cards between them before one of them dies.

I don't think it's possible, still, to deck out without a ship dying.

41 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I don't think it's possible, still, to deck out without a ship dying.

6 Y-wings e.g. can do it. If this realistically ever will happen, is another thing. You would have to keep all alive, difficult with 1green die and that dial.

16 hours ago, Gilarius said:

How about a hard limit on number of natural evades that can be rolled instead?

Same issue, being unable to do enough damage. Same solution?

(Sarcasm, for those who can't tell.)

Totally this. Or let's restrict the number of templates for fancy non-ordinary maneuvres and repositions, cause can never hit them in time, whine, whine

;)

3 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

33 if you drop one of the Torrents and equip 5 of those remaining with Hull Upgrade.

2 hours ago, Managarmr said:

6 Y-wings e.g. can do it.

6 Y-Wings can carry 30 damage cards before one of them dies. Add Hull Upgrades on 4 of them and they can carry 34.