Sign in to follow this  
Kaptin Krunch

Card games, player skill, and balance- Season 2.

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

You really don't

Just see republic Arcs

(Torrents are a joke, though, but I'm sure that's just part of FFG testing.

Soon they'll figure out the Initiative, pilot ability, and chassis should factor into point scaling) 

Yeah, pilot point scaling should factor in the durability and power of the base chassis.

Honestly look at the TIE/ln for another one they did pretty well. Points and initiative aren’t that high mostly. Most I5’s with decent abilities are 32 points. But that feels about right for a ship with minimal offense that can go pop the first time it gets shot. Howl and Iden are the exceptions, but their abilities are good enough to justify it. 

Ignore the Obsidian, it’s an unfortunate victim of middle child syndrome.

But I’d say that the /ln and Arc are the two templates that should be used for cheap and weak and beefy/ strong points scaling. They got it pretty close to right.

The second level generic excepted on both.

Yeah, much as I like the idea of EVERY piloy bring viable...it's not totally feasible for mid-level generics

Well, the I 3 arc def should be like 44 and it'd see play for its talent

The obsidian, though? Seems pretty redundant when sandwiched between the Academy and the black squad ace 

Exactly. The Obsidian isn’t inherently bad, just that 100% of the time I either find 3 points to get a Black Crack, or save one for the Academy.

I don’t know if 44 is right for Seventh Fleet, but it might be. 44/45 is more likely correct than the current 47.

Academy pilots, Scimitar bombers, Gold torrents, Generic Republic arcs, Blue Squadron RZ2s, green RZ2s, Starkiller Base Pilot, Vulture droids, and Phantoms all have had generics played and succeed. Even generic Fangs have seen play and success.

This isn't a problem. 

As @Darth Meanie pointed out, Epic has a lot of use for generics.

They occupy a small niche compared to the number of available ones, and compared to named pilots aren't played frequently, but frankly, I don't care. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Yeah, much as I like the idea of EVERY pilot bring viable...it's not totally feasible for mid-level generics

Personally, I think striving for that is a complete waste of energy, and moreover unnecessary.

The devs should create material, and as long as it isn't wrecking the game, let the lesser stuff slide.  Yes, there eventually will be a pile of chaff-pilots if the game goes on long enough.  So what?

First of all, like you said, it just isn't feasible, and the game needs new material to stay fresh, not reinventing the wheel every time something doesn't see "enough play."

There are more than enough pilots to keep tournaments going.  And if not, invent more--it would be great if each chassis had dozens of pilot options.

The weaker pilots form a "sub-meta" to be explored by those who are interested, and can often have roles outside of standard--like narrative play and campaigns.

The only exception might be if the pilot is an iconic pilot like Han, Luke or Vader--those pilots should always have a respectable place in the game.

Edited by Darth Meanie

15 hours ago, SavouryRain said:

Wedge's ability is an always on Outmaneuver. OM is costed at 6 points. So Wedge's +4 initiative only costs him 4 points (with the last 1 of the 11 going towards the talent). That's laughable

Not tha much.

Thr value of high int changes with the chasis. 

Fragile highly mobile ships value initiative a lot more because they need to arcdodge to survive.

Jousting ships, especially those without passive dice mods value In mostly for shooting first.

The Xwing has much less to gain for having in 6 than lets say an interceptor. Without linked focus or lock the barrel roll action (the most usual arcdodging action) leaves you token less. So the value of that ship in the engagement phases lessens.

15 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Soon they'll figure out the Initiative, pilot ability, and chassis should factor into point scaling) 

This is exactly what I was trying to say. In order for generics to be good they have to have a good chassis. Now when a pilot ability is attached to that chassis in order for it not to overshadow the generics it has to be weak enough to only be viable in certain situations/playstyles, like the ARC's, or priced high enough that taking it is a real choice that effects the rest of your list. I hope that explanation makes more sense than my previous one.

Posted (edited)

the not-oddball abilities are REALLY good though :( (action independent rerolls; much easier to stack with focus)

So you absolutely do not need worse abilities overall, just gotta be smarter about pricing them

And ideally continue not putting them on the highest I in the future...

Edited by ficklegreendice