Sign in to follow this  
Blail Blerg

Is Barriss really really bad?

6 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Times like this I wish everything was digital. 

Direct/Straight errata? (Not sure if Barriss would be straight. Rofl) 

Towards the beginning of second edition I made a tread arguing about putting all listbuilding information and pilot abilities in the app, and everyone lost their minds, one stated that since i want it in the app, might as well make x-wing a video game \(x_x)/

26 minutes ago, DakkaDakka12 said:

Towards the beginning of second edition I made a tread arguing about putting all listbuilding information and pilot abilities in the app, and everyone lost their minds, one stated that since i want it in the app, might as well make x-wing a video game \(x_x)/

i agree with you on basis of balance alone. 

She is bad.  Why wouldnt I just spend three more po in nts for mace.  2+ force.  A way to regenerate force faster.  Also, the ability on Barris requires bullseye and other factors.  

Don't know how to fix Barris.  Jist not a good option in any way.  Even in the vacuum of just Aethersprite pilots, not good.

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

No bullseye requirement would make her ability ridiculous 

Just hand out free force to whomever with no action requirement or counterplay whatsoever! Balanced!

Hello There!

latest?cb=20190205044246

(OK, so it isn't quite no-counterplay, since the friendly ship needs to have a focus token (thus almost surely the action) to begin with, but the joke was too good)

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Hello There!

(OK, so it isn't quite no-counterplay, since the friendly ship needs to have a focus token (thus almost surely the action) to begin with, but the joke was too good)

GENERAL KENOBI!!!

(but yeah, you already pointed out the VERY stark difference)

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Just hand out free force to whomever with no action requirement or counterplay whatsoever! Balanced!

Well, it would only be a single force mod for offence, against a ship in her arc as well - so not as good as Palpatine, who's at 11.

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Not if she continues to have only one force point

13 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Yeah, she almost needs double errata. (Then she wouldn't need point reduction lol) 

Errata to 2 force, errata to no bullseye required. 

Sigh makes me sad. I like her character from the books. 

I would do one or the other, and also reduce her cost a bit

Posted (edited)

I wish people would include the card on threads like this!

Swz34_barriss.png

What would be extra awesome would be if the forum software parsed posts for the names of game elements and automatically linked them to reference images for said elements.  Would be pretty simple to implement.

Edited by mazz0

Yeah, Jedi leverage the force so well, starting with +1 and being able to strategically hold one in reserve is basically equivalent to having an extra ability in and of itself. The 2nd force force is worth at least as much as a shield upgrade, maybe more.

With JKs at least you get a noticeable discount with the base and scaled costs, but Bariss is DoA

So, real question. If you were to swap Bariss’ ability onto Anakin, changing nothing else about him, that seems pretty good right? Like which would you rather have, current Anakin or Anakiss?

That changes the math, doesn’t it?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

So, real question. If you were to swap Bariss’ ability onto Anakin, changing nothing else about him, that seems pretty good right? Like which would you rather have, current Anakin or Anakiss?

That changes the math, doesn’t it?

Keeping Init/Force Charges the same, I'd still rather have Anakin's text by a mile.  Ahsoka, Anakin, Luminara, and Mace all have text which I'd prefer to Barriss in like 99% of lists.

I think I'd rather have Barriss Offee's text over Plo Koon in most lists, maybe Saesee Tiin.  Maybe even Obi-wan.  Feels like Jedi don't usually focus that often, so it doesn't matter too much. 

Edited by theBitterFig

Someone at my store flies her rather well, though it is a 4 Jedi list of Mace, Luminara, Saesee, and Barris. Mace to be the general ace, Luminara to keep the list alive longer, Saesee to help guarantee the bullseye for Calibrated which just opens the door for Barris to be used to proc that result so the other ship can keep their own force for abilities or defensive mods, ditto for a focus token. 

4 hours ago, Animewarsdude said:

Someone at my store flies her rather well, though it is a 4 Jedi list of Mace, Luminara, Saesee, and Barris. Mace to be the general ace, Luminara to keep the list alive longer, Saesee to help guarantee the bullseye for Calibrated which just opens the door for Barris to be used to proc that result so the other ship can keep their own force for abilities or defensive mods, ditto for a focus token. 

yeah, but is that actually a good list, or a garbo list that's just fun? 

Posted (edited)

mACE Windu be carrying fools 

Have to say, though, while Lumy is my favorite her ability is NOT "good' in a traditional sense

By which I mean a "good" ability is one you want always firing and modding dice (imo, an incredible ability would be Vader or Luke; Mace to a far lesser extent). Lumy's doesn't actually do anything that often, as they'll either have focus/forcus mods or bullseye on you

What makes Lumy great is a.) two force and b.) occasional creative use (use ability to force emeny to burn defensive focus; return fire). Her ability isn't a crutch; it's CLUTCH.

But her value is 99% point a.)

ALL Delta's have the built in (and amazing) fine tuned controls ability. So, even with blank pilot text, Lumy is still an incredible force to be reckoned with

Bariss at only one force for only one point cheaper?...nah 

(Edit: I feel Lumy's ability is far less limited than Saesee, though, which is why I never use Saesee either)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I agree with what @ficklegreendice said, with one addition.

Sense Saeese is actually pretty good. May not trigger often, but it is an ability that really can help that mid I pilot to either block an ace, or get out when needed. An arc has a big behind to throw around, and I’ve executed a move where a maneuver change to block a ship allowing my two Jedi to pincer it to great aplomb.

Wont always work, but clever use can be quite powerful.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 10:38 AM, ficklegreendice said:

mACE Windu be carrying fools 

Have to say, though, while Lumy is my favorite her ability is NOT "good' in a traditional sense

By which I mean a "good" ability is one you want always firing and modding dice (imo, an incredible ability would be Vader or Luke; Mace to a far lesser extent). Lumy's doesn't actually do anything that often, as they'll either have focus/forcus mods or bullseye on you

What makes Lumy great is a.) two force and b.) occasional creative use (use ability to force emeny to burn defensive focus; return fire). Her ability isn't a crutch; it's CLUTCH.

But her value is 99% point a.)

ALL Delta's have the built in (and amazing) fine tuned controls ability. So, even with blank pilot text, Lumy is still an incredible force to be reckoned with

Bariss at only one force for only one point cheaper?...nah 

(Edit: I feel Lumy's ability is far less limited than Saesee, though, which is why I never use Saesee either)

I got my black (charcoal?) dice with Mace/Lum/Sae, and about 20 games total. I'm using Sae's ability maybe 50% more often than Lum's. The prerequisite combo of R2 + no bullseye + "attacker rolls a crit that wouldn't go into shields or has no focus" is pretty detrimental.

Totally agreed that 99% of the value is in the 2 force though. If there was a generic 2 force Jedi at any discount over the named ones that's all anyone would ever take.

Edited by prauxim

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

bumping in the hopes FFG will errata this one

Or make some drastic point cuts

Honestly we are lucky that we got 9 Jedi and 6 of them are good, I don't think fixing the bad ones is too high on FFGs agenda. And of the bad ones, Plo is more upsetting than Barriss, for thematic reasons.

I expect they may get a few points knocked off but nothing drastic.

Edited by prauxim