Alright so I'm intending on having a NPC choke out one of my PCs in an upcoming session, but I want to be sure of something before I try

The garrote Chrono says "A successful attack with this weapon causes the target to become suffocated, targets may attempt to break free with a brawl vs brawl check adding a setback for each round they have been caught"

So here are the questions

1) by "successful attack" does that mean a successful hit or successful damage (soak can be annoying in that case)

2) the setback for each round caught, would that include the same round the garrote is used?

3) as the user of the garrote chrono, for my turns I'm guessing I can't attack with other weapons (narrativly speaking) so do I keep trying to add damage by attacking with the garrote? And if so how do I handle a failed attack in that case

4) getting attacked back rather than brawl vs brawl check to save themself... I think I may add a couple of setback to that unless someone has a good suggestion for if they try... (I would)

So looking forward to using this, just hope it works the way I am pretty sure it works, gonna be so fun "shh shh shh just let it happen, just let it happen, just go to sleep this is all just a bad dream"

1) I would say successful attack inflicts damage, most qualities like crits require a successful hit.

2) I read it as including the round they were caught.

3) I would say you are maintaining the "action" the hold the person but could take a limited pool of manoeuvres. Cover behind the victim, gaining purchase to increase brawn difficulty.

4) Becomes a brawl check with setback, likely as they are attacking someone behind them.

HTH

My take, for what it's worth...

1) I'd go with successful hit, just based on the wording.  To me, it's much the same scenario as weapon qualities where you can use Disorient or Knockdown even if you don't inflict any wounds.

2) Again that'd be a yes.

3) I'd say that if you want the choking effects to continue, you'd need to make a fresh combat check each round with the garrote.  If you fail the attack, then the target gets free.  The target might still have that setback die from the previous round though, as we often see that nobody instantly recovers from being strangled, so the setback as a lingering effect of the previous garrote attack makes sense.

4) Add setback in that situation (attacking the garrote wielder) is a prime case where adding setback dice makes sense, as the victim is at a notable situational disadvantage, so I'd say it's a good idea to go that route.  I might add that if the victim is able to score a critical injury on their attack, then it's not much of a stretch to say that the garotte attacker loses their hold as a result of such a severe injury.

Just now, Daeglan said:

Well Darkside bind lasts So I could see the same applying here.

Exactly, and the rule itself says that the Suffocation lasts until the target breaks free via a successful Brawl vs Brawl check. Based n that, it seems to me that the attacker just needs to forego taking any other actions, while the victim needs to actively try to break free on his turn each round. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm entirely unfamiliar with the garrote chrono, particularly since I expect it is in the spy sourcebook, which I have (currently away from books). I used the following thread for inspiration:

alright, Ill go with

1) successful hit (maximise my chance of doing this)

2) same round included (bring the pain)

3) npcs action is to continue choking the B**** ... i mean poor victim

4) add setbacks for counter attacks (1 for giving up all defence to land a hit and another for attacking someone in a awkward position)

When its all said and done and if im successful ill regale you with the story of this encounter, so if your interested  follow this thread for hopefully a interesting event =D