Sign in to follow this  
player2422845

Targeting Computer: Let's aim on whats count.

Posted (edited)

Hello there,

Your cleverness is again, mostly needed on this topic: The return of the Targeting computer, almost certainly as a modification upgrade, in the Nantex-class starfighter expansion .

latest?cb=20190413231516

It's role ( if unchanged) is to add "Target Lock" action to your ship. This is a big deal. This could have a huge impact.

Simply on the "modify your chassis" side, It has a big impact on the already super efficient Tie/ph. And as a mostly  Imp player, I think of a way to give TL action to cheap Tie/ln to help Colonel Vessery to trigger is "auto lock on locked ships". But I bet there is so much more synergies/combo, that is what I a asking. Do you think of significant change this upgrade could bring? Let's assume it is unchanged from V1 (Text =  Your action bar gains the target lock action icon) and priced between 4-8 (V1 price was 2).

If I am not wrong, here are the ships that can equip it:

Rebel: Attack Shuttle,  Auzituck Gunship, Sheathipede-class Shuttle, "captured"Tie/Ln

Imps: Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle , Tie/In, Tie/reaper, Tie/ln, Tie/ph, Tie/sk

Scum: Escape Craft , Tie/mg, Quadjumper

Resistance and FO: none (Transport pod?)

Republic and Separatist: Nantex

So, what do you think this upgrade may bring on the table? A R3 sheatipede with two TL? A Freelance slicer Lambda? Does the meta should fear the TL Whisper? Give us you thought.

Edited by player2422845
forgot this

Soontir definitely. Plus Hull Upgrade or Stealth. 

Also the darn thing better cost like... 2points. In 1.0, at 2 points (4 current points) it was way too much most of the time. 

It'd be nice if Expert Handling wasn't a talent and was instead a mod. Would help a lot of ships with red BR. 

4 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

It'd be nice if Expert Handling wasn't a talent and was instead a mod. Would help a lot of ships with red BR. 

That is probably extremely intentional.

Keeps it off Jedi and prevents things like white rolling to set up a shot with predator, or whatever.

19 minutes ago, svelok said:

That is probably extremely intentional.

Keeps it off Jedi and prevents things like white rolling to set up a shot with predator, or whatever.

... Jedi already have rolls... what? 

17 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

You still need a red BR on your chassis already to equip expert handling. Just keep in mind. It just makes the red br white 

That's what the Infiltrator haz, a red roll

Also, TC. You can see the text is all italics ie flavor text

All it does is give you a white TL

Honestly, I doubt this'll ever see play unless you need the action to equip another upgrade

We're not playing good ol bullcrap first Ed, so it's very difficult to compliment a targetlock for immidiate gain

You could, for example, put it on a fifth bro phantom for big mod money. Strong, but fifth bro is pretty dang pricey atop juke 

You could put it on Soontir, but you only get full mods on bullseye (so...predator?). Unless you're good at setting up locks beforehand (certainly possible with this arc dodger, it's just not easy), predator just seems better

Honestly, only thing I can halfway imagine is throwing krennic out the airlock and putting the (certainly cheaper) TC on jendon so he can use his own ability

4 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Honestly, I doubt this'll ever see play unless you need the action to equip another upgrade

Depending on the cost, a Sentry swarm might like them. I'm personally looking at setting up Unkar pilot with a TC + Targ Sync as a close support ship (Move in to a block, Lock then tractor fun at start of Engagement Phase) for low I Scum munitions (though that fits your "equip another upgrade" specification). On that note:

1 hour ago, player2422845 said:

Scum: Escape Craft , Tie/mg, QuadJumper

Edited "quadjumper", Thank you Hiemfire. ( I missed to quote you in the "edit" I feel so oooold! so many internets! very hashtags...)

The Soontir limitation seems legit. Why investing points in TL rerol when you got predator that trigger when you trigger your pilot talent? The Saber squadron aces get better improvement.

4 minutes ago, svelok said:

we don't know yet if it has any equip restrictions

good point. I hope it does - scaling with initative is something in the same direction.
Paying 8-12 points or even more on Soontir sounds ok, but a 2-4pt upgrade on him would basically be an auto include.

39 minutes ago, player2422845 said:

Edited "quadjumper", Thank you Hiemfire. ( I missed to quote you in the "edit" I feel so oooold! so many internets! very hashtags...)

The Soontir limitation seems legit. Why investing points in TL rerol when you got predator that trigger when you trigger your pilot talent? The Saber squadron aces get better improvement.

Soontir has a case because getting rerolls from his mod slot opens his EPT for anything else. He could take Composure, TL for his action, and "fail" a barrel roll to get a Focus without lining up the bullseye. Or he can take something like Crackshot, Outmaneuver or Marksmanship. 

Posted (edited)

Well, it will make FCS on phantoms useful. A souped-up Whisper with Juke, TL, FCS could be a thing. Does 63-65 points sound reasonable for that?

Would giving a TL to TIE fighters or Strikers be worth it? Mauler Mithel? Pure Sabacc?

Edited by Skitch_

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

That's what the Infiltrator haz, a red roll

Also, TC. You can see the text is all italics ie flavor text

All it does is give you a white TL

We're not playing good ol bullcrap first Ed, so it's very difficult to compliment a targetlock for immidiate gain

You could, for example, put it on a fifth bro phantom for big mod money. Strong, but fifth bro is pretty dang pricey atop juke 

You could put it on Soontir, but you only get full mods on bullseye (so...predator?). Unless you're good at setting up locks beforehand (certainly possible with this arc dodger, it's just not easy), predator just seems better

Honestly, only thing I can halfway imagine is throwing krennic out the airlock and putting the (certainly cheaper) TC on jendon so he can use his own ability

Oh Frick. I sorry. Youre'r gith it does. 

DERP. 

8 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Soontir has a case because getting rerolls from his mod slot opens his EPT for anything else. He could take Composure, TL for his action, and "fail" a barrel roll to get a Focus without lining up the bullseye. Or he can take something like Crackshot, Outmaneuver or Marksmanship. 

Composure doesn't work like that.  The linked action is red and you can't do the composure focus action if you are stressed.  It's really garbage on anyone other than Snap.  Crackshot is probably the way to go?

Posted (edited)

It will be seen on Soontir everywhere, Whisper, and probably Sun Fac since its with his ship. Strikers would like it. Dutchess for sure.

Reapers and Lambdas can get a lock for 5pts with Krennic giviing other special stuff as well and still doesnt take it, so I doubt a reaper or lamdba is gonna be jumpin for joy to have a 4pt targeting computer. It would have to be 2pts for a "maybe" on those ships.

Quadjumpers dont get played with pattern analyzer WHICH GOES REALLY WELL on them so people arent going to pay 4pts for a locking trick. Same goes for mining ties etc. Keep those things cheap.

Passive Sensors will get Vessery onto the table more than Targeting computer will by way of torpedo gunboats. But you might be able to fit both:

Soontir Fel (52)
Predator (2)
Targeting Computer (4)

Colonel Vessery (86)
Juke (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Passive Sensors (5) - 5pts is my guesstimate
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Total: 198

Edited by wurms

3 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Composure doesn't work like that.  The linked action is red and you can't do the composure focus action if you are stressed.  It's really garbage on anyone other than Snap.  Crackshot is probably the way to go?

Composure should still work under the timing window in the FAQ. The entry for "Fail" specifically says that you receive the stress token after the action fails, which puts it into the same timing window as Composure. I don't see anything that would prevent you from performing a red barrel roll, failing, using Composure, and then receiving the stress token from the failed action.

6 minutes ago, wurms said:

It will be seen on Soontir everywhere, Whisper, and probably Sun Fac since its with his ship. Strikers would like it. Dutchess for sure.

Reapers and Lambdas can get a lock for 5pts with Krennic giviing other special stuff as well and still doesnt take it, so I doubt a reaper or lamdba is gonna be jumpin for joy to have a 4pt targeting computer. It would have to be 2pts for a "maybe" on those ships.

Quadjumpers dont get played with pattern analyzer WHICH GOES REALLY WELL on them so people arent going to pay 4pts for a locking trick. Same goes for mining ties etc. Keep those things cheap.

Passive Sensors will get Vessery onto the table more than Targeting computer will by way of torpedo gunboats. But you might be able to fit both:

Soontir Fel (52)
Predator (2)
Targeting Computer (4)

Colonel Vessery (86)
Juke (5)

Nu Squadron Pilot (32)
Passive Sensors (5) - 5pts is my guesstimate
Proton Torpedoes (12)
Total: 198

Why Predator if TC? Lack of another option beyond Crackshot?