Sign in to follow this  
hothorbust

We talk honestly about bringing an SO to a large tournament

2 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Just ducking talk to your partners. God, straight men, get your **** together and stop asking strangers 

I hope for your sake this is just hyperbolic humour and not how you think people actually discuss things.

7 hours ago, colki said:

I hope for your sake this is just hyperbolic humour and not how you think people actually discuss things.

I mean it is hyperbolic humor but also straight men as a mean, not a rule, are the absolute worst at communicating with their partners. And also, there is some paternalism going on in this thread, which is all kinds of messed up

But what do you mean, for my sake? 

18 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Just ducking talk to your partners. God, straight men, get your **** together and stop asking strangers 

7 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

I mean it is hyperbolic humor but also straight men as a mean, not a rule, are the absolute worst at communicating with their partners. And also, there is some paternalism going on in this thread, which is all kinds of messed up

There's just so much to address here. You seem like you approach the thread with intent to be offended though, so I doubt it's worthwhile to put too much time into typing it. For example you claim to value communication, but don't bother with punctuation.

11 hours ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

I meant that, were it otherwise, you would be a significantly worse person.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, TauntaunScout said:

There's just so much to address here. You seem like you approach the thread with intent to be offended though, so I doubt it's worthwhile to put too much time into typing it. For example you claim to value communication, but don't bother with punctuation.

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/279

this forum isn't a board game, stop being a prescriptivist.

Anyone who feels extra feisty about the statements that I'm making, Im probably talking about you.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:54 PM, ExplosiveTooka said:

And also, there is some paternalism going on in this thread, which is all kinds of messed up

Two responses:

(1) There is no paternalism in this thread, as no one posting here is any sort of authority over anyone else here, nor is anyone posting here legislating policies and enforcing regulations upon the behavior of others that must be followed.

(2) Paternalism is not always bad.  Unless you're opposed to things like seat belt laws or that we require our medical practitioners be trained and licensed or that we don't let people sell their vital organs.  Heck, the vast majority of good, responsible parenting is the act of practicing paternalism, limiting the freedom and autonomy of the child in various way that protect and ensure the child's current and future interests ("no, you can't eat ice cream for breakfast," "no, you cannot climb on the barricade of the gorilla enclosure," "no you cannot stay up all night," etc.).  There is certainly a spectrum ranging from morally obligated paternalism all the way through unwarranted excessive paternalism, but paternalism itself isn't morally problematic.

4 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Two responses:

(1) There is no paternalism in this thread, as no one posting here is any sort of authority over anyone else here, nor is anyone posting here legislating policies and enforcing regulations upon the behavior of others that must be followed.

(2) Paternalism is not always bad.  Unless you're opposed to things like seat belt laws or that we require our medical practitioners be trained and licensed or that we don't let people sell their vital organs.  Heck, the vast majority of good, responsible parenting is the act of practicing paternalism, limiting the freedom and autonomy of the child in various way that protect and ensure the child's current and future interests ("no, you can't eat ice cream for breakfast," "no, you cannot climb on the barricade of the gorilla enclosure," "no you cannot stay up all night," etc.).  There is certainly a spectrum ranging from morally obligated paternalism all the way through unwarranted excessive paternalism, but paternalism itself isn't morally problematic.

Yeah, definitely no one on here is treating their SO as somehow lesser. No "explaining" 

@ExplosiveTooka   It would appear that you are just attempting to pick a fight and broadcast a sense of moral superiority.

@JediPartisan  I have heard similar things to your experience from other women playing at conventions. Including some not-so-subconscious responses. I'm curious how you handle that? I'd imagine it must be awkward.

1 hour ago, TauntaunScout said:

@ExplosiveTooka   It would appear that you are just attempting to pick a fight and broadcast a sense of moral superiority.

@JediPartisan  I have heard similar things to your experience from other women playing at conventions. Including some not-so-subconscious responses. I'm curious how you handle that? I'd imagine it must be awkward.

There’s really not much anyone can do about people’s attitudes. You can only be responsible for your own behaviour.

I always offer my fiance the option to come with me. If she has no plans she does. 

When she gets bored she checks out the local area, maybe shops, gets food etc. She knows what to expect but still wants to come. 

In my experience. All games of this type are at their best with beer 🍺 or weed if that’s your thing and music of your choice. My favorite games I’ve played I wasn’t even going for a win just trying to make something cinematic happen.

I would bring my wife to A tournament, but I wouldn’t expect her to watch me play, I don’t watch her get her nails done 💅 or try on shoes 👠. Take her out on a nice evening once you are done playing. 

On 5/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, Alpha17 said:

Fifth Trooper Podcast: Congrats on the RPQ win.  Glad you had the "perfect game" you talked about so you don't beat yourself up over "did I really win?"  I know what that's like.  Unless your RPQ was different, I think you guys missed the "theme" of the prizes.  Every "layer" so to speak alternated between Imperial and Rebel, so we could have balance.  The token bags were Rebel, followed by Imperial tokens, followed by two levels of mixed prizes.  The choices of alt-art were odd, but their structure wasn't a problem.  As someone who plays the Generic commander a lot, I would have loved to have either an Imperial alt-art commander OR the alt-art Rebel commander mini given out as a prize along with the plastic card as you guys mentioned.

Thanks for the advice on bringing your SO to events.  I've been debating going to another RPQs or the Invitational next year and bringing the wife along.  I'm going to have her listen to your discussion, and see what we learn from your experience. 

Everyone: I'm actually interested in seeing what everyone thinks about attending more RPQ after winning one.  I've kinda wondered what the etiquette is about that.  There are two-four more that are close enough to drive (several hours at least, some longer) but I'd love to see how the meta changes this summer, and keep getting experience before the Invitational.  That said, I don't want to ruin anyone else's chances of getting in.  I really, really doubt I could do well enough to win another one (I'm chalking that one up to the die gods taking pity on me), but what would you guys do in that situation?  At what point should I bow out?  Or should I just not go?   

I won an RPQ and plan on making as many as I can. I'll take jank and if I did well I would play my opponent proper and then give them the spot, seen it done several times in armada!

As far taking your SO, my fiance has attended Novaopen three times and now my other friends wife comes. My lady doesn't play any games! They do fun lady things in DC, and we all go to dinner and maybe a drink after I'm all done. She gets to do stuff and have her own fun. They come to the big nerd dinners with everyone and we all chat about normal adult stuff. Reading this thread made think how lucky I'am thanks!