Sign in to follow this  
Mad Cat

Rogue SSD

Conteplating the release of the SSD in 40 days time (No really! FFG wouldn't let us down again. Not even delaying to July 2nd).

400/400, Station Assault, Contested Outpost, Solar Corona
SSD-CP, Moff JerJerrod, Gunnery Team, QBTs, Leading Shots, Brunson, Palpatane (officer). 267
Mona, Bobba Fett, Bossk, IG-88, 2 Firesprays 133/134

I wanted an all Rogue fighter force to free the SSD from the need for squadron commands (through I may plot one for turn 2 to try and get the jump on opponents). There is no intel so I could be locked down. Against strong fighter opposition I will stay in the protection of the SSD's flakk and see if the enemy want a fighter superiority battle in this danger zone or wish to press an attack on the SSD using their intel while my rogues get an unanswered free hack. IG-88A or IG-88B, what do you think? It was a decimator for the full 134 points but I needed one point to squeeze in Palpataine.

Jerjerrod also frees the SSD from the need for navigate commands, though I may bank a nav token on turn 1. I can now plot repairs for turn 3-6 and try and stay alive by moving shields about and repairing APT crits. Dam Con Officer may be better than Brunson against some opponents but Brunson is also good against TRC double hits and so I think a better all rounder. I'll get the Rogues to concentrate upon any HIE, APT or ACM armed ships to lessen exposure. I like the idea of Palpatine spending defence tokens for almost every enemy shot. If they double arc me this can mount up. Kallus is an optional replacement or Officer Vader and a Chart Officer.

Missions are uncertain. I can't think of a better red mission. Capture the VIP or Planet Ion Cannon are options for Yellow. With no TUA/ECM option since the FAQ Solar Corona cancelling an accuracy and the out deployment looks very tempting. Superior positions could be an alternative as my rear can swing around quite a distance using JJ for a double yaw but it may bight me if the enemy get bood bombing runs - but they would have to get past 133 points of rogues who are not that great at Combat Air Patrol but can still hurt combined with flakk. 

Keep in mind your squads or SSD can't heal on the station in CO. I'm not sure it's the best, although I have to admit you'd probably get a lot of points out of it. If I was playing an SSD list, I'd want to heal on the station. I'd prefer Capture the VIP or Planetary Ion Cannon.

Solar Corona is probably best, just for the outdeployment. I wouldn't pick SP; an opponent with rogue squadrons would love it. Dangerous Territory may be good too; eliminates the danger of getting a faceup from an asteroid.

Posted (edited)

Max squad ball seems like a perfect fit for the SSD, and I like your idea for all rogues to free up the SSD commands. Palp is a good counter to marauding MC75s that need to spend defenses twice to double arc. If you would like to fiddle around with a healbot, since you're using the CP dreadnought you could try Grint & STM. Spamming eng commands and the STM recovers JJ's damage. 

For red objective Targeting Beacons can give you "denial or danger zones" for your enemy. Close-range Intel Scan is actually interesting here, if you are relying on pure damage and Palpy and rogues to put on the pain and not your accs.

Edited by Muelmuel

For red objectives I really can't help but be drawn to Blockade Run for the SSD, to really help prevent flanking. I do like Close Range Intel too though, with the triple-tap Gunnery Teams that's plenty of shots, and the dust clouds can be a nice way to protect your flanks.

Basically I'm pretty nervous about people getting into the sides of the SSD!

I do like Contested Outpost in yellow though. It controls where the fight will be, and means that your opponent will have to approach your SSD. Also means you'll have a good idea which direction they'll be coming, so being out-deployed isn't too big a deal. Plus they'll have to get very close to that SSD to stop you getting points, and with JJ you should be able to almost circle the station there.

Blues yeah, Solar Corona seems the solid choice here, you're not as bothered about the pseud-ECM effect since the SSD has redundant tokens, but it's nice-to-have and the out-deploy is big. Dangerous Territory definitely makes sense too though, haven't checked the measurements yet but I'd imagine you can set up the rocks in such a way that JJ is gonna let you land on 3 of them turn one! Would telegraph your deployment a little bit though. 

6 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

If you would like to fiddle around with a healbot, since you're using the CP dreadnought you could try Grint & STM. Spamming eng commands and the STM recovers JJ's damage.

With STM, you're spending 1 engineering token to recover one shield per ship. But the SSD can already recover one shield with one engineering token...so why take STM?

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Bertie Wooster said:

With STM, you're spending 1 engineering token to recover one shield per ship. But the SSD can already recover one shield with one engineering token...so why take STM?

Because the SSD huge ship generates a matching token every time it reveals a dial. With Grint you get total 2 tokens. But you can only spend maximum of a dial+token as a single command. STM helps turn that 2nd token into a shield, so every turn the SSD-CP is effectively getting 8 total points of engineering value.

Edited by Muelmuel

latest?cb=20180108183140

Really? Normally you can't have two tokens of the same type on a ship. Does Grint make an exception to that? I don't see it.

I understand that the SSD already has a Raymus-like effect each turn, where it gains a matching token in addition to its dial. But I'm not sure that Grint (by himself) also allows you to have an engineering dial + 2 engineering tokens. If the Executor title is in play, that would be a different story.

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I understand that the SSD already has a Raymus-like effect each turn, where it gains a matching token in addition to its dial. But I'm not sure that Grint (by himself) also allows you to have an engineering dial + 2 engineering tokens. If the Executor title is in play, that would be a different story.

Yeah, like you're saying it would require the Executor title in order to stack multiple of the same token. Could be funny to run a Grint Executor now that I think about it. Build up a silly number of tokens to run Fleet Command upgrades. But does still compete with all the other officers!

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Akhrin said:

Yeah, like you're saying it would require the Executor title in order to stack multiple of the same token. Could be funny to run a Grint Executor now that I think about it. Build up a silly number of tokens to run Fleet Command upgrades. But does still compete with all the other officers!

In a 400 point game using the Fleet Command slot doesn't seem worth it to me. And I think Kallus, Brunson, DCO, Palpatine are all better officers than Grint. At 800 points, though, I would totally try Executor + Grint (or Wulff) + whatever Fleet Command seems appropriate.

But if the SSD is your only ship, and you're spending 13 points (Executor, STM!, Grint) just to recover one extra shield...it's an interesting strategy, that's for sure.

Edited by Bertie Wooster