Sign in to follow this  
SavageBob

Currency Conversion from Pathfinder to Realms of Terrinoth

I'm adapting a Pathfinder one-shot to be used with Realms of Terrinoth (using Genesys, of course). For the most part, I'm not worried about stat conversion, but I did have a question about the monetary rewards the game gives the PCs. The adventure is for first-level characters, and the rewards are in Pathfinder "gp," Gold Pieces. The quest-giver promises 200 gp per PC at the outset to get them into the scenario, and there are more rewards as they get deeper into things.

So, would this break the bank in a beginning Terrinoth adventure? I know the Terrinoth uses silver pieces as the basic currency, so 200 gold would be about 2,000 silver, or 4 times starting wealth. Does that sound about right for a beginning-level adventure that should take three or four sessions?  If not, what's reasonable for an adventure reward in Terrinoth?

Posted (edited)

Suggestion: Use Pathfinder's starting wealth/expected wealth at level 1, to make a comparison point with Genesis. (For Pathfinder see starting wealth on this page: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation/; I got a quick average of 120 gp)

E.g. if average Pathfinder starting wealth is 120gp, and Terrinoth starting wealth is 1000 sp (I haven't looked this up — I'm guessing based on your comment), then assume 120gp = 1000sp. In which case 200gp = 200*1000/120 sp = 1666 sp.

We could make a better conversion if we had two or three points of comparison. As for this to work we have to assume money's value in both worlds scales similarly.

With that assumption 1666sp gives the same increase in wealth as the Pathfinder module suggests.Suggestion: Use Pathfinder's starting wealth/expected wealth at level 1, to make a comparison point with Genesis. (For Pathfinder see starting wealth on this page: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/character-creation/; I got a quick average of 120 gp)

E.g. if average Pathfinder starting wealth is 120gp, and Terrinoth starting wealth is 1000 sp (I haven't looked this up — I'm guessing based on your comment), then assume 120gp = 1000sp. In which case 200gp = 200*1000/120 sp = 1666 sp.

We could make a better conversion if we had two or three points of comparison. As for this to work we have to assume money's value in both worlds scales similarly.

With that assumption 1666sp gives the same increase in wealth as the Pathfinder module suggests.

EDIT: This post might be more useful:

Edited by RamMegiddo

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the points of comparison. Starting wealth in RoT is actually 500 silver, or 50 gold. If we assume an average starting wealth in Pathfinder of 100 gp (to keep the math simpler), we get a conversion rate of 1 gp = 5 silver coins, or 1/2 Terrinoth gold coin. So the quest promises 250 gp per PC, or about 2.5 times Pathfinder starting wealth. That would equate to 1,250 silver coins in Terrinoth. Is that about right?

These conversions are handy for a rule-of-thumb rate, but I'm also curious what other GMs think is about right for an average adventure reward. Is 1,250 silver per character a good target? Too high for a starting adventure? What if there is other loot, like new weapons or runes or whatnot?

Edited by SavageBob

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SavageBob said:

Thanks for the points of comparison. Starting wealth in RoT is actually 500 silver, or 50 gold.

cant seam to find this in in my copy of RoT ... but GNS01/p143 says Runebound Money is 10$ = 1 Gold, 1$ = 1 Silver

i did a comparative price estimation (Food/Lodging/Goods/Services/...) for Genesys Prices ($=Genesys Monetary Unit) vs PF/3/4/5E coins (and some other systems)
https://dnl.reibenschuh.info/coinage-xref.pdf

what i have found is that 2$ are 1gp in PF/5E vs 3gp in d20/3/4E

your milage may vary

Edited by Terefang