Sign in to follow this  
IAmTheSmitty

New Player Question Regarding Availability

Good Evening,

I just recently started playing the Lord of the Rings LCG.  I love the Core Set, and I am hoping to branch out.  Looking through FFG's site, its obvious that quite a bit of the older content is 'Out of Stock'.  There are sporadic Sagas and Deluxe Expansions that are available.  I have seen people on forums suggest that following the series in order is not practical, or necessary, given stock, but I was wondering how much it hurts to either (A) just grab a Saga and run with it or (B) purchase a Deluxe Expansion, knowing you will only get a few, if any, Adventure Packs?  If I grab the Kazad-dum Deluxe Expansion, but can't get any of the Adventure Packs, will that hurt my playing experience?  Can you grab some, but not all, of an Expansion's Adventure Packs without it significantly detracting from the game?  Thanks for helping out a new player to the LCG-type of games.  

Smitty

Posted (edited)

Hi! Obviusly the "Story" tells about Deluxe + Cycle...You can play only Deluxes, but you lose a lot of player cards and scenarios. 

Otherwise I recommend to buy "Khazad-Dum" + Cycle, "Heirs of Numenor" + Cycle, "Voice of Isengard" + Cycle....and then two Sagas.

I know that there are a lot of products "very hard to find", but you can find all on Online Shops (Amazon etc..).

I live in Milan (Italy) and I tell you that I had to wait 1 year in order to finish the collection. I think that this is easier in USA. 

Edited by aliprandifabio

Thank you for the reply.  Should I stock up on the Deluxe expansions, and not start them until I have the adventure packs?   Did you end up waiting until you had the entire collection of a cycle before you started the Deluxe?  I really love the lore that will go into the Khazad-Dum Deluxe Expansion, but I don't think I'll have much luck getting to the Dwarrowdelf Packs quickly.  It'll probably be that I finish the Deluxe, and then move on and wait for FFG to reprint.   

Smitty

Posted (edited)

I've always opened and played the deluxe expansions right when I got them, but I would always get all corresponding adventure packs before starting the next deluxe, if that makes sense.

If you are going to do a deluxe by itself, and play another cycle before getting the packs for the first one, Khazad-dum is probably the best choice for that.

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard
-

Good Afternoon,

It does, and thank you for the reply.  I checked online, like aliprandifabio suggested, and found all of the Dwarrowdelf Adventure Packs.  It is just that, at a glance, it would cost around $172 for the six packs.  Some of them are virtually the same cost as MSRP, but most are marked up due to supply/demand.  I guess I'll start collecting them through FFG and Amazon, and just skip between Deluxe Expansions based, primarily, on which ones I have the Adventure Packs for.  One last question: I know it may not fit the lore particularly well, but is it possible for me to play the Adventures out of Order, if I happen to struggle to find one or two in the group?  Thanks again for the assistance.

Smitty

Posted (edited)

I think that this fantastic game has an high average value.

I love this game and I am willing to pay a lot of money to buy Deluxes-APs.

The price you have written is very high, but it is clear to understand that it is a difficult game to recover and, who owns it, would sell it at crazy prices. 

My 2 cent: Dwarrowdelf is a Must Have eheheh. 

Edited by aliprandifabio

4 hours ago, IAmTheSmitty said:

Good Afternoon,

It does, and thank you for the reply.  I checked online, like aliprandifabio suggested, and found all of the Dwarrowdelf Adventure Packs.  It is just that, at a glance, it would cost around $172 for the six packs.  Some of them are virtually the same cost as MSRP, but most are marked up due to supply/demand.  I guess I'll start collecting them through FFG and Amazon, and just skip between Deluxe Expansions based, primarily, on which ones I have the Adventure Packs for.  One last question: I know it may not fit the lore particularly well, but is it possible for me to play the Adventures out of Order, if I happen to struggle to find one or two in the group?  Thanks again for the assistance.

Smitty

If you don't mind to have the story spoiled (specially in later cycles, that are tied between them), you can do it...

Don't remember a single scenario that couldn't be beaten without a specific Adventure Pack (at least until the Voice of Isengard cycle - haven't played the others yet, but still collecting them)

Sagas Expansions (Hobbit and LotR) are different because they are built to be played as a campaign...

CJMatos

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, IAmTheSmitty said:

is it possible for me to play the Adventures out of Order, if I happen to struggle to find one or two in the group? 

Yes, it's within the rules, but I don't recommend it for story purposes.

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard
-

18 hours ago, Amicus Draconis said:

I would not dream of selling my collection, ha.

I keep my gaming collections, even after I stop playing the games.  I have my collections from old miniatures (Mage Knight, Mechwarrior, etc...) and CCG (MTG, World of Warcraft).  They become display pieces for my basement where I game.  I suspect I'll do the same with this game, as I love the lore behind the series.

14 hours ago, CJMatos said:

If you don't mind to have the story spoiled (specially in later cycles, that are tied between them), you can do it...

Don't remember a single scenario that couldn't be beaten without a specific Adventure Pack (at least until the Voice of Isengard cycle - haven't played the others yet, but still collecting them)

Sagas Expansions (Hobbit and LotR) are different because they are built to be played as a campaign...

CJMatos

12 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Yes, it's within the rules, but don't recommend it for story purposes.

Understood.  I'll just start collecting Deluxe Expansions and their Adventure Packs.  When I find all of the Adventure Packs for a Deluxe, I'll start on that storyline.  It sounds like completing the Deluxe Expansions out of order isn't a big deal, but you need to have every Adventure Pack (and play them in order) to benefit most from the game.  

Thank you, everyone, for the assistance.  I am really looking forward to building my collection, and starting the process of completing the various Cycles.  

Smitty

I should say also, that some of the newer deluxe boxes are somewhat connected in story. As in, the end of one cycle leaves the heroes in X city, where they agree to take on Y quest, which starts the next cycle.

And you're welcome for the help!

Yeah we are playing them slightly out of order. Keeping the deluxe expansions with their Adventure packs as best we can. But you do what you can and it's easier with the first three cycles as the story wasn't as well developed as the later ones, so missing a pack isn't a huge deal.

22 hours ago, GILLIES291 said:

Yeah we are playing them slightly out of order. Keeping the deluxe expansions with their Adventure packs as best we can. But you do what you can and it's easier with the first three cycles as the story wasn't as well developed as the later ones, so missing a pack isn't a huge deal.

Understood.  I fired off my first round of ordering to start building the connection.  Luckily, the first six Adventure Packs are easily found. That'll give me some time to find the next group.  Worst case scenario, I'll scour the Gen Con Exhibit Halls later this year. 

Smitty