I was wondering how you describe the Aim maneuver when it is used in a Melee/Brawl combat check? I have some standby descriptions I use but I wanted to see what people use to describe that Aim boost die added to a melee or brawl attack.

18 minutes ago, Vorzakk said:

Looking for an opening in the opponent's defense?

I like this one. Makes good use of a maneuver to describe a feint or to have the PC block something or dodge it to reveal an opening. Thanks Vorzakk

14 minutes ago, Varlie said:

Like Vorzakk said, you watch your opponent for him to drop his arm or shift his balance and then go in for the attack.

**Does not work against this guy:LRZwzN5.gif

amazing 

27 minutes ago, Sith Interceptor said:

Aim for Melee I haven't thought of that but since mechanically its a boost die to land a telling blow. I describe it as a flurries of fast combinations and strikes. Basically going on the offensive rather than fighting defensively looking for a opening to counter.

Looking for an opening certainly, but it's not at all about "going on the offensive rather than fighting defensively" since there is no corresponding Boost given when the other guy attacks you back like such a reckless approach should generate.

Or it can be presenting them a juicy target they think is open in the expectation that it will open a gap in their defenses are they attempt to strike you in a "vulnerable" spot. Which is basically what one type of feinting is. The other type is faking striking one area to get then to cover it up so you can hit you the target you want. Like making a strike for the head to get them to cover up their head so you can hit them in the now exposed belly.

Good advice above, it can also just be a bigger wind up to a shot, like power punches in boxing or a batter focusing his attention in a baseball game and taking a big swing. It's very situational, but it just represents taking some extra time to focus, wind up, better plant your feet, wait for a perfect opening, or whatever. 

The way I see aiming is that they are "committing" to the fight entirely, like fencing or what have you. Zeroing in on a single target and firmly standing their ground. They aren't "vaulting" into a fight or looking to break away from the engagement, they are looking for the most optimal engagement. Compare Obi-Wan's first fight with Vader to a New hope; the former is him deliberately moving to deny his once apprentice the opportunity to aim, making the other chase him in an effort to frustrate him, and arguably because he was really struggling with besting him. In the older movie Obi-Wan barely moves at all, focusing more on measured strikes that searches for any weakness in the other's defences and he pretty much relies on his skill with the blade over any positional advantages.

5 hours ago, LordBritish said:

In the older movie Obi-Wan barely moves at all, focusing more on measured strikes that searches for any weakness in the other's defences and he pretty much relies on his skill with the blade over any positional advantages. 

Have you seen Rebels? There's a scene with Obi-Wan that perfectly shows the power of melee aiming.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:52 PM, Stan Fresh said:

Have you seen Rebels? There's a scene with Obi-Wan that perfectly shows the power of melee aiming.

Oh aye, that was possibly one of the best duels in the series akin to how a serious sword fight likely would have played out. There was absolutely zero wasted movement that ended in a quick climantic cut. It also quite beautifully displayed the development between Obi-Wan and Maul, or rather the lack of the latter's development. Obi-Wan had forgiven himself and corrected his mistakes while Maul was single-minded and obsessed with achieving his revenge. Even in his dying breath he only spoke of revenge and there was a moment where Obi-Wan only felt pity for him; he didn't kill him out of desire but just simple need.

I feel there needs to be more examples of this. Every time the Dark Side is more powerful visually, and a person only beats another down using the darkside. It would be nice seeing it the other way around.

8 hours ago, LordBritish said:

Oh aye, that was possibly one of the best duels in the series akin to how a serious sword fight likely would have played out. There was absolutely zero wasted movement that ended in a quick climantic cut. It also quite beautifully displayed the development between Obi-Wan and Maul, or rather the lack of the latter's development. Obi-Wan had forgiven himself and corrected his mistakes while Maul was single-minded and obsessed with achieving his revenge. Even in his dying breath he only spoke of revenge and there was a moment where Obi-Wan only felt pity for him; he didn't kill him out of desire but just simple need.

I feel there needs to be more examples of this. Every time the Dark Side is more powerful visually, and a person only beats another down using the darkside. It would be nice seeing it the other way around.

"Then there’s The Catch.

Maul takes a knee, and Obi-Wan steps in to cradle him before he can hit the ground. It’s the most poignant gesture of compassion we’ve had in Star Wars. Forgiving not a son or father lost, nor an enemy-turned-ally, but an unrepentant foe. Every element of Obi-Wan and Maul’s rivalry begs for the former Sith to pay bitterly for all his deeds. Yet Obi-Wan steps in with gentleness, and ensures that Maul can pass on in peace."

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2019/05/the-20-most-memorable-moments-of-the-new-star-wars-canon-part-iii/#more-15966

There's also an older article about the duel linked in that list, and it's beautifully bonkers.

Beholder-Twin-Suns-conspiracy-wall.png

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, HappyDaze said:

Looking for an opening certainly, but it's not at all about "going on the offensive rather than fighting defensively" since there is no corresponding Boost given when the other guy attacks you back like such a reckless approach should generate.

Fair enough but Ill try to explain better how I see  Aim described in Melee. Going on the offensive doesn't necessarily mean reckless strategy, at least from my experiences. Rather I was suggesting moving away from the concept of a counter attack. Instead im looking at it more like you have read your opponents last move and can 'boost' your attack going on the offensive. The boost increasing your chance to land a telling blow for the round as defined as a  sequence of action exchanges between combatants.  This is the ebb and flow of combat from a melee point of view. There is a give and take, often set up by a good read or feint where the combatant has the initiative to strike and the defender would be the reckless one to not yield and defend in the sequence.