MegaSilver

N-1 Naboo Starfighter Preview!

Also, ion maneuver.  No dial is assigned, no dial is revealed. 

Granted, I'll be surprised if FFG doesn't add a line to the RRG saying that for purposes of other effects, you revealed the 1-straight.

Posted (edited)

Eh, but then there's fun stuff like inertial dampeners

Myep, han didn't go anywhere but he revealed a five forward so get ******

Regardless, I hope there's no defaulting. That's just more Bs to remember

You go by the revealed manuevers, if applicable. no more and no less 

Edit: fluff justification!

These guys are aces, but they're also security volunteers (no match for the battle hardened federation army!) with access to apparently ONE AND ONLY ONE kind of combat capable craft (the n1)

Makes sense they're not super ready to adapt to ions/dampeners and other weird **** they've probably never encountered

Edited by ficklegreendice

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Eh, but then there's fun stuff like inertial dampeners

Myep, han didn't go anywhere but he revealed a five forward so get ******...

...Makes sense they're not super ready to adapt to ions/dampeners and other weird **** they've probably never encountered

Your first assessment is right. Dampeners don't replace the revealed maneuver on your dial, so N1s will still compare their dial to Han's selected maneuver.

If you do, execute a white (0 Icon maneuver stop.png) instead of the maneuver you revealed.

Dineé is going to be soo bonkers....

---

8 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

My Saw/Wulf/Kullbee list would beg to differ.

It's a dumb list but so much fun. 😛

Another dumb thing I flew before Juke went up: Norra in an Arc with Juke and Jyn, pretty tanky and aggressive.

----

Minor point on the art choice of the astromechs: What's the connection between artwork and their abilities? R2-A6 is clearly in and reparing a building, not a ship. Why are there explosions round R2-C4 when the astro's ability damages its targets?.

----

Passive sensors, going into the systems slot. As of now, some factions have clearly a lot more choices here:

Republic
0 out of 3 (N1 and BTL-B slots yet unknown)

CIS
0 out of 3 (Hyena and Nanted slots yet unknown)

Empire:
Gunboat, Lambda, TIE v1, TIE x1, TIE /ca, TIE /D, TIE ph
7 out of 14 (50%)

Rebels
B- Wing, E-Wing, U-Wing, VCX,
4 out of 17 (23.5%)

Scum
Aggressor, G1A, Starviper, Scurrg w Havoc title
3.3 out of 19 (17.4%)

Resistance
MG 100
1 out of 4 (25%) (Transport and pod slots yet unknown)

First Order
TIE sf, Upsilon
2 out of 4 (50%)

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's super disappointing that this wasn't all calibrated on the speed of the manoeuvre the ship executed, which is unambiguous.

I agree. A fellow player also pointed out that this could potentially cause very tricky situations for judges, if one player denies having executed a maneuver at certain speed, he could have changed his dial afterwards for example (nothing in the rules disallow that after performing the maneuver) and then the judge can not make a decision based on the board state.  On top of that you can't note down the maneuvers according to the tournament rules, so that won't work as a fallback as is. Not that I expect this to happen often, but the possibility is there.

47 minutes ago, haukurv said:

I agree. A fellow player also pointed out that this could potentially cause very tricky situations for judges, if one player denies having executed a maneuver at certain speed, he could have changed his dial afterwards for example (nothing in the rules disallow that after performing the maneuver) and then the judge can not make a decision based on the board state.  On top of that you can't note down the maneuvers according to the tournament rules, so that won't work as a fallback as is. Not that I expect this to happen often, but the possibility is there.

It would also work on things like Inertial Dampeners and Ion maneuver. 

2 hours ago, haukurv said:

But there's even less record of what speed move the ship executed - at least with the dials (as long as they haven't been changed) you can reference those to see what maneuver was revealed.  There's nothing saying what maneuver was executed.

Just now, Jarval said:

But there's even less record of what speed move the ship executed - at least with the dials (as long as they haven't been changed) you can reference those to see what maneuver was revealed.  There's nothing saying what maneuver was executed.

BTW, just found that you should place the dials next to the pilot card afterwards, which indicates you should not tamper with them afterwards. But yea, there is indeed no record of what maneuver the ship actually performed. These new abilities call for record keeping previously unnecessary. The easiest way would be to use the maneuver set on the revealed dial, as "revealed maneuver" is not defined in the rules and logically that should be the maneuver on the dial when it was revealed but that is inconvenient and calls for information not visible anywhere but relies on history (which can't be recorded according to the tournament rules, as taking notes is expressively forbidden).

Yeah first step of Activation Phase for each ship. "1. Reveal Dial: The ship’s assigned dial is revealed by flipping it faceup and then placing it next to its ship card." There's nothing later that says moving the dial or changing it is allowed. They probably do need to add a phrase clarifying this or maybe a FAQ entry.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Passive sensors, going into the systems slot. As of now, some factions have clearly a lot more choices here:

Republic
0 out of 3 (N1 and BTL-B slots yet unknown) - The N-1s should be able to take it since it came up in the preview article.

CIS
0 out of 3 (Hyena and Nanted slots yet unknown)* At least one configuration is able to take the Passive Sensors (see the spread), and the card is also included in the Hyena pack itself.

Empire:
Gunboat, Lambda, TIE v1, TIE x1, TIE /ca, TIE /D, TIE ph
7 out of 14 (50%)

Rebels
B- Wing, E-Wing, U-Wing, VCX,
4 out of 17 (23.5%)

Scum
Aggressor, G1A, Starviper, Scurrg w Havoc title
3.3 out of 19 (17.4%)

Resistance
MG 100
1 out of 4 (25%) (Transport and pod slots yet unknown)

First Order
TIE sf, Upsilon
2 out of 4 (50%)

Edited by feltipern1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, MegaSilver said:

There is a generic, it was just not previewed.

What does having two dots instead of one mean on a pilot card? 1 dot is for characters, I know that much.

Does it mean you can take up to two Handmaidens, but no more?

Edited by Ironlord

5 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

What does having two dots instead of one mean on a pilot card? 1 dot is for characters, I know that much.

Yes

5 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Exactly this. It’s limited to two. Same as how barrage drones are limited but not unique.

I think the two ships that can use Passive Sensors the most are the Tie Punishers and Hyena Bombers.  Something with the ability to take Torpedoes and isn't easy to kill is the best user. 

Tie Punishers are beefy enough and means taking a low Init ship is viable now.  It can be loaded with Bombs, Missiles, and the necessary Torpedoes. 

Hyenas can use other Calc tokens for defense and even offense.  It can bring some serious punch to a list that has 2 red dice attacks.  Hyenas can also bring a number of toys, like the Punisher.  Even the higher Init Hyenas could use it.

I think FCS is an under appreciated System that is super cheap.  The real benefit for taking a different option is having a low Init.

N1 is also great with sensors, just full throttle away!

Anakin is probably the top pilot for it though since he lacks juke. His ability can really help with positioning, but it's also a passive modifier. With r2-c4, his ordnance is gonna hit HARD if he's ignored 

Since my gut tells me only I 5 and hand maidens will see play (because of their abilities, and also I5's....I 5), I'd rather focus on Padme and Anakin

Padme is a bit wonky, but we've got the obvious juke synergy and a faction with Lumy. Might be something there 

3 hours ago, feltipern1 said:

Republic
0 out of 3 (N1 and BTL-B slots yet unknown) - The N-1s should be able to take it since it came up in the preview article.

CIS
0 out of 3 (Hyena and Nanted slots yet unknown)* At least one configuration is able to take the Passive Sensors (see the spread), and the card is also included in the Hyena pack itself.

I agree with your sentiment here but then I remember stuff like Afterburners with the Fang, which was actually in the preview article. I know there's perhaps a bit of a difference between the early releases in this edition and FFG hopefully realized what a mistake that was but it's still in mind.

Although in that article when mentioning Afterburners, they do state, "This can be difficult to pull off" which is unintentionally hilarious.

4 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

I agree with your sentiment here but then I remember stuff like Afterburners with the Fang, which was actually in the preview article. I know there's perhaps a bit of a difference between the early releases in this edition and FFG hopefully realized what a mistake that was but it's still in mind.

Although in that article when mentioning Afterburners, they do state, "This can be difficult to pull off" which is unintentionally hilarious.

It was in the quick build for Fenn. And I think at that time they anticipated quick build being a format on parity with 200pts.

It didn’t work out like that. It has play, but far more uncommon than the alternatives.

11 minutes ago, millertime059 said:

It was in the quick build for Fenn. And I think at that time they anticipated quick build being a format on parity with 200pts.

It didn’t work out like that. It has play, but far more uncommon than the alternatives.

It was more than that. They talk about equipping it to Kad Solus in the Fang preview article.

Kinda disappointed at all I’m seeing here with this ship. Although Olie might can replace Wollfe in my 3 Arc + Jedi list. If he and the droid comes in at less than 54 points.

12 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

the n1 certainly doesn't look crazy, but it's got the potential to be a "more than the sum of its parts" sorta deal

except the handmaidens, who are giving me Biggs vibes and may be pretty crazy if points allow

I think the vibe I get from the handmaidens is more v1 Lowhrick than Biggs ... the fact that they need to run fast to get their free evade is a saving grace, but they can still just 1 straight and take the evade action ... then token stacking and sharing for days.