MegaSilver

N-1 Naboo Starfighter Preview!

4 minutes ago, Arc170Chris said:

Yeah, R2-A6 works well on Jedi's and Arc's... hmmm.... it's gotta be expensive though. that's a strong ability.

Basically 1e Navigator.

Hera is Jealous. ūüėõ

I always thought Heragator was fun but I disliked it in principle and thematically because it honestly doesn't offer her any true efficiency or special ability beyond "fix my mistake". I really want to see Phoenix Leader with a Stress-mitigation ability in a B-Wing and an A-Wing.

24 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

PS is super potent on ships that need locks to trigger their abilities and usually can't get them because of their low Init. PS will be a way bigger deal on low Init TIE Advanceds than AS has ever been on them, for example. 

PS might not quite be big enough to hit the same 10 points as AS, but I imagine it'll be up there at 7-9. 

//

So yeah, probably not much help for Gunboats.

I kinda agree on cost, at least I hope it's up there.  I know I'm threatening folks with rain when they want it fine, but still.  Passive Sensors makes me nervous.  PS kind of breaks the fundamentals of Initiative in a way that Advanced Sensors breaks the way that actions work.

And despite the non-interaction with Advanced SLAM, I think it still seems quite potent on gunboats.  Simply being 7 HP behind 2 greens with Torpedoes that can fire Proton Torpedoes at will is really potent.  If PS is less than 7 points, you'll be able to fit 4 in a lost.  You couldn't even get 4x Deadeye/Harpoon Gunboats during 1e.

12 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah, I‚Äôd say that the R2-A6‚Äôs ability changes what the revealed maneuver is, so whatever the new maneuver, it‚Äôs still your ‚Äúrevealed maneuver.‚ÄĚ He‚Äôs obviously meant to work with their abilities (not that RAI¬†overrides RAW depending on your interpretation).

I'm inclined to agree, if only because it kind of becomes a nightmare to keep track of an original revealed maneuver after rotating it.

However, even if it doesn't get interpreted that way, R2-A6 allows Ric or Dinee to reveal a particular speed for the purposes of their ability, and then execute a different move.  Like, maybe Ric wants to execute a 2-speed to avoid a block or such, but wants to use 3-speed for his ability.

The more I think about it, that feels really bad.  Using the final maneuver after R2-A6 for Ric or Dinee just seems better overall.

4 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

Are Recurring Charge Symbols considered a "May" or "Must" effect? Would you have the option to activate Passive Sensors once, and leave its charge Inactive?

Must. It’s proper game state.

Advantage being that if Leia or Vader fall behind you‚Äôre allowed to ‚Äúcatch up‚ÄĚ because it‚Äôs restoring proper game state

12 minutes ago, Arc170Chris said:

Yeah, R2-A6 works well on Jedi's and Arc's... hmmm.... it's gotta be expensive though. that's a strong ability.

With Seasoned Navigator on an ARC, or Saesee Tiin in particular among Jedi...

Posted (edited)

Looking at some cards for 11 points you get for example generic to Quickdraw or Wedge upgrade. You get Ini 6 from 2, move last, shoot first, can TL anyone or do any other action, talent slot and of course you get pilot ability. PS let you TL anyone, you still move first, shoot last and if enemy arc dodged you, you only get 1 calculate instead of focus for defense.

Edited by Boreas Mun

4 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

Looking at some cards for 11 points you get for example generic to Quickdraw or Wedge upgrade. You get Ini 6 from 2, move last, shoot first, can TL anyone or do any other action, talent slot and of course you get pilot ability. PS let you TL anyone, you still move first, shoot last and if enemy arc dodged you, you only get 1 calculate instead of focus for defense.

Exactly this. It's worth nowhere near 7 points. At 7 points it would pretty much never get used.

Are we in agreement that Passive Sensors isn't all that great if you aren't using good ordnance? Getting a Calculate is okay, but not getting it until you engage when you are a low-initiative pilot isn't great. You'd rather take the focus and use it for defense.

One of the AMAZING things about Passive Sensors with ordnance spam on generics is that you don't take the lock until you engage, so if target #1 is destroyed after the first two shots, your 3rd ship is free to lock the next threat in line. THAT seems pretty potent.

7 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

A calculate that you can only use on defense against lower ps pilots, as you don't even get it until you engage.

Passive Sensors needs to be cheap.  Tempest Squadron probably is one of the pilots who benefits the most from passive sensors, and at two points each you could field five of them, and I see no way that would be OP.

2 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

Tempest Squadron probably is one of the pilots who benefits the most from passive sensors, and at two points each you could field five of them, and I see no way that would be OP.

Five "Auto ADC" Tempest ? That would be extremely strong!  I don't think AS will be that cheap, but who knows?

28 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

AS is hardly seeing any play at 10 points (except Guri who would buy it for any price).

And when it was 8 points, absolutely everyone who could use it did. Are we forgetting the first few months where AS Redline dominated? 

29 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

PS would see very little play at 7 points because at that point you may as well invest in higher initiative anyway

PS is not the same as higher Init. Not at all. The problem with some of the ships that want it is that they can't get high enough Init anyway. You can't ever run more than two I5+ TIE Advanceds no matter how many points you're willing to spend on Ved Foslo or Zertik Strom. 

PS is better than I6 for target locks. It's better than any theoretical Initiative. It doesn't matter when your opponent moves, PS means you ships can always lock after all of their ships have moved. 

33 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

AS makes sure you get an action every turn, even when you do a red.

But I thought AS was so good because it let you reposition before your maneuver?

57 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

and (most importÔĽŅantly) doesn't let you reposition pre-ÔĽŅmaneuverÔĽŅ.ÔĽŅ

I think the only reason AS is so expensive is because of what it doeÔĽŅs for Guri et al.

Yup. That's what you said. 

Well AS' most important feature can also be turned off by stress. That's the point I was making. 

The ability to get actions before a red has its uses too, yes. It's why 4-LOM loves it. It's why B-Wings would love it if their named pilots weren't so cheap and basically get free actions from reds anyway. But you said it yourself, AS' big impact is that pre-maneuver boost or barrel roll.

@theBitterFig says it better than me:

17 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

PS kind of breaks the fundamentals of Initiative in a way that Advanced Sensors breaks the way that actions work.

17 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

And despite the non-interaction with Advanced SLAM, I think it still seems quite potent on gunboats.  Simply being 7 HP behind 2 greens with Torpedoes that can fire Proton Torpedoes at will is really potent.  If PS is less than 7 points, you'll be able to fit 4 in a lost.  You couldn't even get 4x Deadeye/Harpoon Gunboats during 1e.

This is a really good point. I was still thinking of Gunboats purely in terms of SLAM being their niche. 

This is kinda what I was getting it with the cost of PS. If it's too cheap, it's absolutely the sort of upgrade that can break things by enabling potent spam lists.

4xNU with Pro Torps and PS should scare people. It's a **** of an alpha, and it can't be range controlled. 

If it is 7 points, you can three in a list with Pro Torps and APTs alongside Duchess. That's a **** of a lot of dice in a lot of arc coverage. Alternatively, you can fit Jonus in with no upgrades to give them re-rolls - get the locks for an alpha on the first pass, use Jonus for rerolls to keep the locks and then SLAM around the next turn to do it all over again. 

People thought 3x Rebels with Wedge, Swarm Tactics and ProTorps was good for a time. This would be so much better. 

19 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

No, for 11 points you can get one ship to I6.

There is only one Wedge. The higher Initiatives have to exist for you to upgrade to. All those other benefits are great, but you only get them on one ship. 

On the right ship, this gets ordnance to better than I6 (it can't ever be outbid) several times over. 

1 minute ago, player2422845 said:

Five "Auto ADC" Tempest ? That would be extremely strong!  I don't think AS will be that cheap, but who knows?

Well nobody is flying five of them with FCS, which while weaker on turn one is more consistent after that if they keep their locks.  At the end of the day they are just low ps ships with mediocre dials, mediocre action bars, and an action dependent 3rd attack die.  I don't see five of them being an issue at all.

8 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

I am not a big fan of all of this keeping track of what maneuver people did after the activation phase. Cool stuff, but too much to remember. 

There shouldn't be anything new to keep track of. When you reveal your maneuver you place it faceup next to the ship's card. 

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Between the article title, the opening quote and Anakin's ability, FFG are really abusing those prequel memes. Honestly, while I do think it's quite funny, I'm also dreading the inevitable quote literally every time Anakin's ability is used. No one runs a joke into the ground faster than nerds.

Uh.

How do you play anything Star Wars without a movie quote every 5 minutes??

13 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m really liking all the stuff I’m seeing. It is becoming extremely difficult to stay out of the Clone Wars.

I'm waiting to snag my N1s.  Then, at last, I will reveal myself to the Jedi play my first game of 2.0.

17 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

And when it was 8 points, absolutely everyone who could use it did. Are we forgetting the first few months where AS Redline dominated?

This has WAY more to do with how absurdly undercosted Redline was than AS. Did you ever see it taken on a generic B-Wing? I sure didn't. We don't have PA available so AS should at least be usable for low-I ships that have all-red dials. I guess it's an argument for initiative-scaling.

19 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

PS is better than I6 for target locks. It's better than any theoretical Initiative. It doesn't matter when your opponent moves, PS means you ships can always lock after all of their ships have moved. 

...out of your arc. Have fun with that! I'd rather have 3 I5-6s that could catch them anyway. I guess it's true that some of the ships don't have a high-init pilot, but remember that those pilots typically bring something in addition to their initiative anyway (pilot abilities are a thing). High-I is almost always better than PS. If the cost is similar, PS won't be used.

Some stuff to consider:

• R2-A6 doesn't let you change bearing, only speed. And only by one speed, and only to a maneuver that is on your dial. While there's lots of stuff you can do with that, it's not exactly game-breaking, and I'd expect to see it priced based on initiative like other upgrades that allow you to put off positioning decisions until you activate. Also, savvy opponents can game her a bit by flying slow, thus denying her the free evade from Full Throttle.
  • Passive Sensors isn't that strong. All it does is give low initiative pilots a chance to fire their¬†ordnance,¬†if¬†they survive without a defensive token and if their opponents were gracious enough to sit in their firing¬†arc.¬†You'll have to work to make it really effective--it will take some low-initiative coordinate shenanigans to get double mods, for example.
    • Tempests certainly would like it, except that FCS is a thing and is definitely better for their ability, and they also already have a way to get TL¬†before the first round of shooting (Colonel Jendon!),¬†so I kinda doubt Passive Sensors x1s will be a thing.
  • Dinee's ability means that even if she has a talent slot, she is unlikely to want Juke, meaning it's very possible that the designers have done a good job of preventing Juke Spam from being a thing with these bad boys, which is a good thing; it's not fun to have one card monopolize an upgrade slot for every single ship in the class when there would otherwise be tons of options available.
  • Dinee with R2-A6 alongside a Sensing Jedi seems like fun, but not necessarily all that strong.
    • Bonus points for including Saesee Tiin in the squad!
  • Please please please let there be enough room left over after modestly upgraded Padme + 2x Handmaidens for something good ‚̧ԳŹ

I am so unreasonably jazzed about this. Way back when X-Wing first came out, flying this beauty was a far-off pipe dream. Now it’s not only coming, but it’s got a whole freakin’ Grand Army of the Republic at its back, and it even looks pretty good stats-and-abilities-wise.

I look forward both to flying it, and to bothering EP1 haters with its memeness.

Now that‚Äôs podracing!¬†ūüėĄ

1 minute ago, CoffeeMinion said:

I am so unreasonably jazzed about this. Way back when X-Wing first came out, flying this beauty was a far-off pipe dream. Now it’s not only coming, but it’s got a whole freakin’ Grand Army of the Republic at its back, and it even looks pretty good stats-and-abilities-wise.

I look forward both to flying it, and to bothering EP1 haters with its memeness.

Now that‚Äôs podracing!¬†ūüėĄ

I will have you know that I am a dedicated Ep1 hater and I cannot ******* wait to fly these ****** things

28 minutes ago, Sithborg said:

I am not a big fan of all of this keeping track of what maneuver people did after the activation phase. Cool stuff, but too much to remember. 

just look at the dial, easy

3 minutes ago, Maui. said:

Some stuff to consider:

• Passive Sensors isn't that strong. All it does is give low initiative pilots a chance to fire their¬†ordnance,¬†if¬†they survive without a defensive token and if their opponents were gracious enough to sit in their firing¬†arc.¬†You'll have to

Sensors aren't "strong" in that they don't add mods, but they're literally game changing in that they make low initiative target-lock ordnance...possible

you basically turn your little (insert system ship here) into a 3/4 die primary that ignores the range 3 bonus 

NOT to say it should be worth a lot of points but it's a big addition to the game

It'll actually probably be the only reason to fly lil' Annie. Dude's a force user, so no talent (no juke :( ) or crazy ability to augment his piddly two-die primary. At I4, it's VERY difficult to get locks on very popular I5+ pilots

Enter passive sensors + force + full throttle +/- r2-c4

Course, my gut tells me he'll end up way too pricey to user over Senior Ole (I 5) with juke.

I'd probably keep an eye on him and the Decoys (super nifty for protecting your jedi) as the probably biggest additions the ship itself will bring to the game, unless some combo like juke Padme + Luminara ends up being particularly hilarious